• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2020 SR Viper update ECU?

journeyman

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Attak GT
Do the 2020 Vipers actually have a new ECU or was there just a flash upgrade done to the existing ones like the pinned thread above talks about?

I heard there was a new one made by Mitsubishi for the 2020's?

Last edited:

Ok it still makes me wonder way back when Waldoch’s had the 2014 SR Viper demos there was just one in the fleet that was much stronger and snappier than the rest. I was like....if I could have that one I could ride a Viper.

Ok it still makes me wonder way back when Waldoch’s had the 2014 SR Viper demos there was just one in the fleet that was much stronger and snappier than the rest. I was like....if I could have that one I could ride a Viper.
Probably had the nytro ecu, ever notice the 14 year model viper in the hill climb competition, if you look close you can even see the nytro gauge pod.

Probably had the nytro ecu, ever notice the 14 year model viper in the hill climb competition, if you look close you can even see the nytro gauge pod.
My friend had a Nytro for awhile and I had a little saddle time on it. His was a 136, 1.5" lug track and clutched up well. It was not fast on top end but it had good take off and mid range torque. Got to 80-90 quick but then settled down. The first thing I noticed with all the demo's I rode (other than that one) was how flat they felt. I rode another demo awhile later at the Waconia Vintage event and walked away feeling the same.

Just wanted to see how everyone is doing with the ECU's on their Vipers. Mine has had a hard time starting since day one and I just had the chain case replaced under warranty. While it was there the dealer said there is nothing he can see that would cause the hard starting. He suggested replacing the spark plugs. I had replaced them 400 miles ago. No change and I even put in the Iridium plugs. Has anyone else had this issue? Has anyone changed out the ECU for a Yamaha ECU? I know it's not a simple swap out. Need wiring changes and everything. But just wondering if it's worth it. Love the sled hate the starting issue.

As always Thanks for the feed back RB

Has anyone changed out the ECU for a Yamaha ECU? I know it's not a simple swap out. Need wiring changes and everything. But just wondering if it's worth it.
A member did an entire swap of a Nytro motor, ECU and complete wire harness conversion on a procross chassis. Do a search for that thread.

Just wanted to see how everyone is doing with the ECU's on their Vipers. Mine has had a hard time starting since day one and I just had the chain case replaced under warranty. While it was there the dealer said there is nothing he can see that would cause the hard starting. He suggested replacing the spark plugs. I had replaced them 400 miles ago. No change and I even put in the Iridium plugs. Has anyone else had this issue? Has anyone changed out the ECU for a Yamaha ECU? I know it's not a simple swap out. Need wiring changes and everything. But just wondering if it's worth it. Love the sled hate the starting issue.

As always Thanks for the feed back RB
I assume you've already checked the alignment marks on the crank signal which is located on the stub shaft?

Mine has had a hard time starting since day one .... While it was there the dealer said there is nothing he can see that would cause the hard starting.
A) Make sure you have the latest flash
B) maybe try a new starter? Lots of people here say the OEM starters are known to fail or not work well. New ones turn over faster and start better. Grizztracks has several posts on this.
C) May want to check exhaust valve clearance. Tight exhaust valves happens over time, and need adjustment to restore easy starting.

I assume you've already checked the alignment marks on the crank signal which is located on the stub shaft?
I will this weekend. So far all I am hearing is that this is how they all are. Cat and Yamaha

A) Make sure you have the latest flash
B) maybe try a new starter? Lots of people here say the OEM starters are known to fail or not work well. New ones turn over faster and start better. Grizztracks has several posts on this.
C) May want to check exhaust valve clearance. Tight exhaust valves happens over time, and need adjustment to restore easy starting.
I had it at my local dealer and they said that the valves do not have enough miles on them to need adjustment. But they also assumed I had the case apart as well. Inner case had a crack in one of the mounting holes from the track side. Only thing I have done is oil changes. Never pulled the case. They said when they pulled it apart for warranty it looked like someone was in there. But it is all correct now. Now I just wonder about if that looked off could the factory have missed something? including the valves.

I had it at my local dealer and they said that the valves do not have enough miles on them to need adjustment. But they also assumed I had the case apart as well. Inner case had a crack in one of the mounting holes from the track side. Only thing I have done is oil changes. Never pulled the case. They said when they pulled it apart for warranty it looked like someone was in there. But it is all correct now. Now I just wonder about if that looked off could the factory have missed something? including the valves.
My guess is they are looking to blame someone else.

It’s about a hr to check valves and big hrs/day to adjust. Terrible time of year for project like that at Dealership with Holidays and sled setups. They were being nice. My dealer has found tight valves at 500mi. So anything is possible.

So one thing I did notice was once I had the belt off the sled spun over faster than with it on. So I will be working on belt deflection again. But this might have to wait as I got my sled back after the warranty work was done and now it leaks oil. Under closer inspection I found the oil tank has a Crack in it now. I am really starting to not like the Arctic cat DNA in this sled...

Attachments

• 20231223_174034.jpg
    20231223_174034.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 34

Back