• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2021 Sidewinders

I was "lucky" when my (280HP) tuned Cat cracked the head at about only 1500 miles! My dealer told me Cat was gonna look at the ECU and once they see it's not running stock map, they'll void the warranty. Well, fortunately for me, Cat/Yamaha did warranty the head. Tells me they's seen it before. Since I didn't trust my dealers kids working on my sled, I performed the work myself in my professional shop. To this day, problem solved.
IMO, seems these 998 motors internally are really tough. Very few problems even on big tunes. Kudos to Yamaha Engineering.

I was "lucky" when my (280HP) tuned Cat cracked the head at about only 1500 miles! My dealer told me Cat was gonna look at the ECU and once they see it's not running stock map, they'll void the warranty. Well, fortunately for me, Cat/Yamaha did warranty the head. Tells me they's seen it before. Since I didn't trust my dealers kids working on my sled, I performed the work myself in my professional shop. To this day, problem solved.
IMO, seems these 998 motors internally are really tough. Very few problems even on big tunes. Kudos to Yamaha Engineering.

Yes, the 998’s are stronger than the apex blocks believe it or not. Rods, pistons and valve springs is all that’s needed for 500hp without issues......now that’s insane.

I dropped the hammer on a 2021 ltx gt. It was hard to find one. the dealer said it should be in by mid September !!
the reason I picked the ltx gt is because I didn’t like the orange se ( personal preference ) . Also the qs3 suspension should be alright for a year before going elka again like I did on the last one.
Stoked!

When was delivery expected?

They didn't say specifically, but estimated middle of this month delivery to them, and then I have 14 days to pay the remainder once its prepped.

IMG_6066.JPG
IMG_6067.JPG
IMG_6068.JPG
Just a heads up anyone with a new sidewinder, you might want to check your sleds chain tension. I took mine apart last night to go through the chain case , it came set up tight . Bolt was tight against the tensioner ( no gap ) chain had every little play in it . Backing mine off 1 & half turns , then check tension after 300 km .

Last edited:
I dropped the hammer on a 2021 ltx gt. It was hard to find one. the dealer said it should be in by mid September !!
the reason I picked the ltx gt is because I didn’t like the orange se ( personal preference ) . Also the qs3 suspension should be alright for a year before going elka again like I did on the last one.
Stoked!
You think the Elka's are better?

View attachment 156774 View attachment 156775 View attachment 156776 Just a heads up anyone with a new sidewinder, you might want to check your sleds chain tension. I took mine apart last night to go through the chain case , it came set up tight . Bolt was tight against the tensioner ( no gap ) , with spring fully loaded . Chain had had every little play in it . Backing mine off 1 & half turns , then check tension after 300 km .
Gosh, it is almost hard to believe that they haven't changed the roller/screw configuration after all these years. Although I did have my sight glass fall in on my 18, I am of the opinion it wasn't as big as issue as the top gear bushing life, or the roller screws backing out. Still good to see that changed none the less.

I took delivery of my 21 SIDEWINDER LTX-GT on Oct.9. I will be checking chain tensioner as part of my inspection before running my new sled. Thanks for the good info.

HANK

Attachments

• D5A6378C-2361-46FC-961E-89FC82A50314.jpeg
    D5A6378C-2361-46FC-961E-89FC82A50314.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 212
  • 99D672F9-FB25-4DA2-BA95-B37F30E0EEAE.jpeg
    99D672F9-FB25-4DA2-BA95-B37F30E0EEAE.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 214
  • C151E1D4-B539-4E59-886C-27519E3CA6DD.jpeg
    C151E1D4-B539-4E59-886C-27519E3CA6DD.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 214
Just a heads up anyone with a new sidewinder, you might want to check your sleds chain tension. I took mine apart last night to go through the chain case , it came set up tight . Bolt was tight against the tensioner ( no gap ) , with spring fully loaded . Chain had had every little play in it . Backing mine off 1 & half turns , then check tension after 300 km .

Great advice for Winders AND Vipers. I haven't checked mine yet, but was already planning on it before it hits the snow. This exact issue cost me a chain case and a weekend of riding when the '18 was new...

IMG_6088.JPG IMG_6080.JPG IMG_6081.JPG IMG_6082.JPG
DuPont sliders, Installed bronze bushing top gear , spot weld chain roller screws , new NTN bearing in brake caliber, peened 4 sides on driveshaft bearing surface with some lock tight , and a new lightweight brake rotor for sum extra bling for me to look at ...lol
Drive sys should be good for the winter.

Last edited:
Its funny but I searched sidewinder issues found and i might as well sell mine for scrap..Because there is something wrong with everything...everyone's an engineer these days..all in all I have not had but one issue...these sleds hand down rock!!!!:yam:

Back