• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2021 Thundercat blowing belts

Something is binding or spring broken. It just started doing it right? Did you just do the conversion then belts popped?

I did, and checked clutch alignment. It's spot on. I've put about 600-700 miles on my sled with it geared this way and haven't had an issue until now but the trails have been fairly firm until last weeks snow. I'm having a hard time believing that gearing is causing my issue but I haven't found anything else. I have about 1,300 miles on the sled
You checked clutch offset using Cat gage (0744-093) and plug (1.530" Cat # 0744-100)? Earlier gages came with 1.50" I believe.

if clutch alignment is good i would start by going back to the stock secondary compression setup. we run 280 hp flashes running on rail beds on the handlebar a lot with 22/41 and no issues with belt heat or belts at all. we run 827s and can run a whole season on 1 belt, we only change em each year for peace of mind. all stock clutching with daltons set at 78 grams. with your hp maybe you need a bit more weight but if it were mine I would try stock secondary to try and isolate problem.

Check and see if your getting snow in engine compartment from top of tunnel to heat exchanger separating.

Pull the secondary apart make sure the rollers and spring are ok. Also remove primary cover /spring and make sure the movable sheave moves freely and check roller and weights
Since you have blown belts check the stub shaft bearing is seated properly...
keep a close eye on the movable sheave on primary. They are known to crack and.blow up
Do a quick offset check sould be around 64.6mm
My cat has been tuned since brand new(8000km) and never blown a belt with 24/50 and 21 /38 gears

I am not a fan of ultimax on cat clutches!! I found rpm were inconsistent.. Cat belt imo works better

You checked clutch offset using Cat gage (0744-093) and plug (1.530" Cat # 0744-100)? Earlier gages came with 1.50" I believe.
I'm not 100% certain, I used the gauge my Cat dealer gave me to use. Their bar had two lines on it and said the outer line was for 9000s and the inner line was for 8000s. Their kit also had 2 plugs, both plugs laid in exactly the same spot on the bar

Check and see if your getting snow in engine compartment from top of tunnel to heat exchanger separating.
I do get snow in the nose of the sled and usually causes my steering to freeze up. Do any of you guys have that issue?

I do get snow in the nose of the sled and usually causes my steering to freeze up. Do any of you guys have that issue?

Actually I had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday first time in 12000km lol

Yes I had my steering freeze up a couple weeks ago. Took hood off and stuck a hair dryer in there for about an hour then all was good.
When the tunnel separates from top of heat exchanger it will blow snow against the back of engine and on clutches. Will destroy belts in a hurry.

I'm not 100% certain, I used the gauge my Cat dealer gave me to use. Their bar had two lines on it and said the outer line was for 9000s and the inner line was for 8000s. Their kit also had 2 plugs, both plugs laid in exactly the same spot on the bar
Correct plug is red in color and has 1.530 engraved on it.

Correct plug is red in color and has 1.530 engraved on it.
It was a red plug, I didn't look for anything engraved in it, but I would assume it should be the correct tool?

I’ll have to check 1nc’s suggestion. I did notice that the bracket mounted to the tunnel where the steering support rail bolts under the seat has moved forward.

Back