• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2024 Prototypes and Spy Photos

I’m just basing this on my experience working mostly in motorsports since the late 90’s. Yamaha would be foolish to walk away from the snowmobile market IF they can continue to stay mostly out of the chassis developing business. As long as Textron ( or another brand) is placing Yamaha engines in a sled and calling it a “Yamaha”, they’re smart to keep themselves in the market. They won’t make up the sales loss with other products, unless they find a lot more buyers and increase production capacity. Simply put, sleds are a low risk and low cost investment. Just like private labeled Kroger Raisin Bran. It’s probably made by Post or Kellogg’s, so Kroger doesn’t need their own factory. Just pay for each shipment and make the profit.
I don’t see Yam in a pure Catalyst sled. Definitely not in 2024. Maybe a derivative in 2025, but they could also retain the procross chassis for a couple more years or as long as Textron will dedicate an assembly line to it. With a three way collaboration existing with BRP(kids sleds), we could even see a Yama-Doo if BRP isn’t too proud to build it.

I’m just basing this on my experience working mostly in motorsports since the late 90’s. Yamaha would be foolish to walk away from the snowmobile market IF they can continue to stay mostly out of the chassis developing business. As long as Textron ( or another brand) is placing Yamaha engines in a sled and calling it a “Yamaha”, they’re smart to keep themselves in the market. They won’t make up the sales loss with other products, unless they find a lot more buyers and increase production capacity. Simply put, sleds are a low risk and low cost investment. Just like private labeled Kroger Raisin Bran. It’s probably made by Post or Kellogg’s, so Kroger doesn’t need their own factory. Just pay for each shipment and make the profit.
I don’t see Yam in a pure Catalyst sled. Definitely not in 2024. Maybe a derivative in 2025, but they could also retain the procross chassis for a couple more years or as long as Textron will dedicate an assembly line to it. With a three way collaboration existing with BRP(kids sleds), we could even see a Yama-Doo if BRP isn’t too proud to build it.
This makes a lot of sense. I’m bummed as there is no passion or excitement with this approach but it does provide their dealers with a product to sell in the winter months. Yamaha quit trying in the sled market after they released the Sidewinder, and even then it could be argued that their heart was no longer in developing new stuff for the snow division after they partnered with Cat.

Seeing how Toyota is trying to determine what approach to take with automobiles, Yamaha is likely trying to figure out hat they want to do with sleds. They got burned on the 4-stroke only philosophy so maybe they are waiting to see if electric snowmobiles have a future?

Yamaha has new patents. New ski, and three electric sled patents. All were issued late 2022.
Patents are great for protecting your intellectual work. It doesn’t mean that they’ll produce these new products, but it could mean that they’d license the designs to other manufacturers in order to make a small percentage of the sales without building it themselves. Yamaha did this with the chassis dampeners, which are used on some cars.

I don't know what to think. I wish I had more 2 stroke options. After replacing the timing tensioner, starter and gears, stator and relay on my vector
replacing starter, piston and jug on my Kodiak quad and NEVER had any other issues on all my Yamaha bikes and sleds dating back tp 73 and reading all the issues on the new sleds I just don't know where Yamaha is headed. I need to upgrade my sled but don't have a lot of confidence right now.

I’ve been huge supporter. I’ve tried and tried and backed everything and had logical reasons for everything but I’m 90% checked out. When it’s time to replace my sidewinder it most likely wont be a Yamaha, and a cat without Yamahas oversight is terriable. And skidoo fanboys drive me up a wall, so I would have to go Polaris who I’m even less thrilled with after buying the mrs’s hers last season. But a 9r xcr which is mostly likely coming and the Matryx chassis will be a huge selling point. Just do some clutching and stud it and skis valve and spring shocks and go. No getting attached after years and years of upgrades. Just trade every 3-5000miles and upgrade at reasonable price differance.

I’ve been huge supporter. I’ve tried and tried and backed everything and had logical reasons for everything but I’m 90% checked out. When it’s time to replace my sidewinder it most likely wont be a Yamaha, and a cat without Yamahas oversight is terriable. And skidoo fanboys drive me up a wall, so I would have to go Polaris who I’m even less thrilled with after buying the mrs’s hers last season. But a 9r xcr which is mostly likely coming and the Matryx chassis will be a huge selling point. Just do some clutching and stud it and skis valve and spring shocks and go. No getting attached after years and years of upgrades. Just trade every 3-5000miles and upgrade at reasonable price differance.

It will be interesting to see if the attitude around 2-strokes changes with the shortening of the warranty periods. The focus for some will turn back to reliability instead of the buy it, run it hard and get rid of it before the warranty expires. I know some of the hardcore doo faithful are rethinking their 2-stroke plans and have started to explore 4 stroke (doo 900s anyhow) options.

The mountain segment really sucks. I wish they would at least have a mountain max 800 twin rail 165 with Yamaha clutches. Also bring back a refined Sidewinder mtx.

I feel the same way. I have been a Yamaha faithful for 20 years. My loyalty took a hit when my brand new 2016 Grizzly was a lemon.

We replaced my wife’s Vector last year with a Ski-doo 900 turbo. It is a well built machine with quality parts.

Have we heard when the 2024MY release date is? I hope there is one!

Was in 2017, new graphics releases every march since and next year aswell. They may put shock absorbing grips on this season as a major update.

Saskatchewan Sealskin Bindings

I like my SR Viper but wish it had Mitsubishi ECU. Even with a new battery it still has an issue starting in the mornings. Can we just get the ECU's from Japan again. Upgrade the engines for turbos. It's a great trail sled, but after you are used to it you always want more power. If Yamaha fails again this year, I might look closer at Ski doo's 900T. I like to hold onto my sled for years and was the reason for buying the Viper, but it might become ride a few years get the warranty out of it and trade it for a new one again. On another note, I have 2 Vectors and have no issues with them starting.....

I like my SR Viper but wish it had Mitsubishi ECU. Even with a new battery it still has an issue starting in the mornings. Can we just get the ECU's from Japan again. Upgrade the engines for turbos. It's a great trail sled, but after you are used to it you always want more power. If Yamaha fails again this year, I might look closer at Ski doo's 900T. I like to hold onto my sled for years and was the reason for buying the Viper, but it might become ride a few years get the warranty out of it and trade it for a new one again. On another note, I have 2 Vectors and have no issues with them starting.....
They make this sled with a turbo already.

Back