• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

22t to 23t, need longer chain?

ranger1 said:
sx7001 said:
23-38 uses a 68 link chain. Here is a pic from the Yamaha chart.
Thanks a lot for posting the chain/sprocket chart. However, I noticed this chart was for the fx/rs/rx & vk sleds. I checked the chart that was for the apex & it said that with either the 20/21 & 22 top gear with 38 bottom required a 68L. 23/24 top with 38 bottom need 70L.
I guess because the distance between the top & bottom gears may vary from different models of sleds, they must have different charts for specific models.

The RX is the Apex. This chart is the 2011 chart. Specs have changed.

sx7001 said:
ranger1 said:
sx7001 said:
23-38 uses a 68 link chain. Here is a pic from the Yamaha chart.
Thanks a lot for posting the chain/sprocket chart. However, I noticed this chart was for the fx/rs/rx & vk sleds. I checked the chart that was for the apex & it said that with either the 20/21 & 22 top gear with 38 bottom required a 68L. 23/24 top with 38 bottom need 70L.
I guess because the distance between the top & bottom gears may vary from different models of sleds, they must have different charts for specific models.

The RX is the Apex. This chart is the 2011 chart. Specs have changed.
Oh thats what happened, they switched up to the 23 in 2011 & the older models were 22.

jonnytro said:
what if u changed the bottem geer from a 38 to a 37 would u get the same resuls.
It would raise the gear ratio but not as much as one tooth one the top gear. Might be able to go down to a 36 bottom though, just not exactly sure how to figure out the actial ratio. I think a 37 would be somewhere between a 22 & 23 & a 36 would be between a 23 & 24.....I think.
It should fit the 68L chain as well!
You might be on to something here, thanks!

For ratio just divide larger number into smaller. The result is your ratio and the higher the number, the lower the gear ratio.

nailsandrails said:
For ratio just divide larger number into smaller. The result is your ratio and the higher the number, the lower the gear ratio.

Or look at the chart I posted on page one of this thread.

Ok I got a question ? If lets say I have a 24 tooth top sprocket and change it to a 23 tooth sprocket I will loose some top end mph correct? And I will gain some low end torque correct ?

Direct Attack said:
Ok I got a question ? If lets say I have a 24 tooth top sprocket and change it to a 23 tooth sprocket I will loose some top end mph correct? And I will gain some low end torque correct ?

The 24 will be faster in perfect ice road like conditions ( next to no friction or drag), but these conditions are rare. Most conditions are snow or hard packed which evidently the 23 will be faster & pull harder in the low end. The 23 will allow the clutches to shift out further than the 24 in poorer conditions.

nailsandrails said:
Thanks for the gear ratio formula! My guess was actually pretty close as I figured a 36 with my 22 top gear would be about right, & according to your formula a 22/36 would give me a 1.64 ratio which is just a touch taller than the 23/38 which is a 1.65.
Now were gett'n somewhere!! wuhoooo

sx7001 said:
nailsandrails said:

Or look at the chart I posted on page one of this thread.

Ok, thanks again for the chart & good thing I looked at it to see if the ratio's I calculated were correct because Yammi doesn't even list a 36 bottom gear in the chart!
Hmph, back to the drawing board! Oh well, that's the way it goes when experimenting with clutching!! lol

Back