• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

42 Tooth Gear

Enticer

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Yamaha LTXDX
Has anybody actually used a 42 tooth instead of a 40? It's my understanding that with bigger gears you are supposed to have less rolling resistance. Is there anything measurable by going to these larger gears? Also would bigger rear wheels have the same effect as larger gears in the chain case? Has anyone purchased a larger rear wheel axle assembly and what results have you had? I'm trying to extract as much performance out of my 06 RTX as possible without going to a turbo. Help me out. Thanks, guys.

Enticer

You would want to make sure a 42 will fit – I don’t have an RTX. The rolling resistance would not be noticeable. A 42 will give it more pulling power – the top speed may increase, or not – but mathematically – it equates to a slower top speed. :drink:

Bigger rear wheels,are only to get better rolling resistance and looks. This will shorten the track on the ground and again – bigger wheels without a longer track may not fit. You will probably run out of adjustment. Also – you would need to build a riser so the bottom of the new wheels are at the same position as stock wheels, a line straight off the bottom of the slide rail. :o|

Stock is good, you may be surprised – when they start to beat you – ask what they have? I wouldn’t buy anything until you run it stock so you can make a fair comparison. :Rockon:

Yes the 42 will fit, but you likely will loose speed. I put a 43 in my chaincase, but I put on bigger drivers, very big track, big lug, trench thru the deep snow and up hill. The belt will thank you, a cheaper way to go is get a 42 hyvo out a polaris, just need a washer to shim the gear out abit.

The 42 WILL NOT take away any top speed. These things are WAY overgeared. Top speed will be lost only if you run out of clutch and end up overreving.

I'm running 23/42 with overdrive on my RX and it does NOT run out of shift, so 24/42 withOUT overdrive will work fine. Holeshot and tendency to stand on as$ is unbelievable.

Back