• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

500 mile service, was a bit spendy

A K&N Filter #KN-147 ($13-$14 USD) will work for the Nytro and Phazer. It has a 17mm hex on the can to help with removal.

Other than being a PIA and expensive (~$70) changing the oil on a Nytro is straightforward. Changing the oil on a Phazer sucks hugely.

1 gallon of mobil 1 0w30 from walmart = $26.00
1 Hi Flo oil filter = $5.00
Doing it myself within 45 minutes and riding in an hour = priceless.
Only having to do once a season, even better... (2-3K miles)
(no rivets, the side panels come off with Dzus fastners, and the bellypan uses the plastic "push style" resuable button pins..

sprintcat said:
Don't you have to have it serviced at the dealer for your warranty ? I thought that was the deal.if not i thought you would void your warranty.

Shouldn't have to...

Just like with a car, they cannot void the warranty if you do the oil changes yourself, or have a non brand name shop do it.

I am pretty sure there are laws against such activity to protect consumers from such absurd requirements.

triumph54 said:
1 gallon of mobil 1 0w30 from walmart = $26.00
1 Hi Flo oil filter = $5.00
Doing it myself within 45 minutes and riding in an hour = priceless.
Only having to do once a season, even better... (2-3K miles)
(no rivets, the side panels come off with Dzus fastners, and the bellypan uses the plastic "push style" resuable button pins..

Sounds good. As a prospective nytro owner, I wanted to hear this procedure from guys who own these sleds, and have done the job on their own.

I'm glad to hear it's not hard at all to do, and that isn't expensive at all.

There is another plus for the nytro...

btw, how hard is it to change oil on an rx1 or apex?

DeerHuntr said:
Just wondering what you guys have had to pay for your initial oil change??? My bill came to $170 for the oil change and a brief look over of the sled, kinda takes the" no need to buy two stroke oil" argument out of the equation. Could ride all year on $170 worth of oil for my 2 Stroke. I will defineatly be changeing it myself after this. #$%&*

No offense @ all but this has to be one of the more ridiculous things I've ever heard of! Why wouldn't you do something as simple as asking what the service is gonna cost before you bring it in there!!?? Doesn't really seem like rocket science to me. That was one of the questions I asked before I had even bought the sled, just out of curiosity.

Blue 4's Rule said:
DeerHuntr said:
Just wondering what you guys have had to pay for your initial oil change??? My bill came to $170 for the oil change and a brief look over of the sled, kinda takes the" no need to buy two stroke oil" argument out of the equation. Could ride all year on $170 worth of oil for my 2 Stroke. I will defineatly be changeing it myself after this. #$%&*

No offense @ all but this has to be one of the more ridiculous things I've ever heard of! Why wouldn't you do something as simple as asking what the service is gonna cost before you bring it in there!!?? Doesn't really seem like rocket science to me. That was one of the questions I asked before I had even bought the sled, just out of curiosity.

None taken, I never thought in a million years an oil change would be nearing the $200 mark, guess I never thought to ask. I honestly had full intentions of letting the dealer do every service because of my 5 yrs of warranty and just not wanting to give them a way out if I have some engine trouble. Might still let em do it just for piece of mind but the price is pretty steep, wonder what a rebuild would cost if I hatch the engine and Yammie won't warranty because I can't prove I changed the oil??? Something to think about, this is my first Yammi so I am not sure how they are to deal with but have heard stories about some of the manufacturers that seem to look for reasons NOT to cover you, guess I don't want to give em an excuse.

Just paid $120 for 500 mile service - oil and filter change and chaincase oil change, adjusted track tension, checked ski alignment, checked throttle TORS, and all the other stuff. $65 in parts and $55 in labor. I can live with that.
Your dealer was maybe a bit aggressive with pricing.

I have both an RX1 and an Apex. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to do an oil change on both. You need to remove the air box and battery to get at the oil filter on both sleds

rxmaninblack said:
I have both an RX1 and an Apex. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to do an oil change on both. You need to remove the air box and battery to get at the oil filter on both sleds

Ouch...

At least it needs to be done only really once a year.

DeerHuntr said:
Blue 4's Rule said:
DeerHuntr said:

None taken, I never thought in a million years an oil change would be nearing the $200 mark, guess I never thought to ask. I honestly had full intentions of letting the dealer do every service because of my 5 yrs of warranty and just not wanting to give them a way out if I have some engine trouble. Might still let em do it just for piece of mind but the price is pretty steep, wonder what a rebuild would cost if I hatch the engine and Yammie won't warranty because I can't prove I changed the oil??? Something to think about, this is my first Yammi so I am not sure how they are to deal with but have heard stories about some of the manufacturers that seem to look for reasons NOT to cover you, guess I don't want to give em an excuse.
Im quite certain tho that if you caved the motor in, they would send your oil out and have it analyzed. That would tell them how many miles are the oil.

Warranty

I have read somewhere before that there is a clause (law) of some sort stating that warranty will not be void if you do the maintanence yourself. As long as you can prove that it was done when required and that you were capable of doing it.

I think it (the clause) was some guys name ..........not the Murphy's Law one either.

I plan on maintaining the Nytro myself.

Anyway, hello to all fellow sledders ......

Re: Warranty

BriKielyGSMan said:
I have read somewhere before that there is a clause (law) of some sort stating that warranty will not be void if you do the maintanence yourself. As long as you can prove that it was done when required and that you were capable of doing it.

I think it (the clause) was some guys name ..........not the Murphy's Law one either.

I plan on maintaining the Nytro myself.

Anyway, hello to all fellow sledders ......

I do ALL of my own maintenance, for the fact that I really don't trust any young and low paid shop worker to really DO the right thing with my baby. I've learned the hard way with loose bolts and axles on motorcycles to trust only me. Plus, it makes you understand and keep an eye on things much easier. Oil and filter change costs me less than $50 with Amsoil synthetic.

Big note, however, ensure you get the sealing ring off the motor from the old filter!! Mine, and others, were stuck. Had I not known to look, I would most likely have tried to put the new filter on top of it.

Back