• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

500 miles-cracked exhaust

browndogg

My buddys new F/X was real loud at the front when cold then all the time last ride.Took to dealer,cracked exhaust,supposedly one whole piece,lucky for warranty.

Crap.... I noticed this the other day. I was like, WHY is this so loud? Have to check now.

I had been riding for 150 miles so I figured maybe it was just me... after a long day, but it seemed reallllly loud at 8500 rpm.

-Steve

Re: 500 miles-cracked exhaust $1200

browndogg said:
My buddys new F/X was real loud at the front when cold then all the time last ride.Took to dealer,cracked exhaust,supposedly one whole piece,lucky for warranty.

Where did it crack, was it on the flexi pipe part (frontend connectiong to rearend pipe?

phazerfly said:
Still just over 1500km's, FX has been in the shop for 2 weeks, busted exhaust manifold, and rear suspension. :o| Apparently priority ordered parts take 2 weeks, hate to see how long it takes when you're not priority. The 2 other FX's I ride with have bent spindles on the battery side, never hit anything hard. Watch those spindles.

phazerfly said:
It cracked just back from the motor, and blew out an exhaust gasket.

Scary... Wonder how it would be with warranty if stock pipe have been cutted because of custom exhaust.

My dealer told me changing the exhaust would void the warranty. I need to ask him if that applies to just R&R'ing the muffler.

rfabro said:
My dealer told me changing the exhaust would void the warranty. I need to ask him if that applies to just R&R'ing the muffler.

Void the whole warranty? or only for the exhaust?

Say you have an aftermarket muffler, and bend a spindle, I would imagin it would still be covered...?

The only thing that scares me about my muffler is if I was to spin a crank bearing, or throw a rod right out the bottom, they'd blame it on the muffler, which makes no sense at all of course...

Mars said:
Say you have an aftermarket muffler, and bend a spindle, I would imagin it would still be covered...?

Ohhh no!! You must remember that you have added 2 or maybe 3 horsepower and that this sled was not designed for such numbers
LaLaLa

There is a titanium chunk of pipe right off the motor that connects to the rest of the pipe. Its only about 6" and is the only seperate piece of the whole exhaust. Mine broke clean off, and they had no reason for why. Time will tell if its fluke or an issue I guess. Starting to look like a problem though.

So did it sound really nice!! :Rockon:

I was about to buy exhaust for the FX, now I know all I have to do is wait for it to crack up! :tg:

That should save everyone a lot of dough!

sniperviper said:
browndogg said:

Where did it crack, was it on the flexi pipe part (frontend connectiong to rearend pipe?
Yep..Another guy that comes out with us with the same sled is also got a cracked pipe.Wonder if the replacement pipe will be any different?Anyone had the pipe replaced yet?

browndogg said:

nows a great time to put on an after market exhaust, EXCELL EXHAUST

JP, have you posted pics and/or vids on your website of the exhaust? Phazerfly, that sounds like an exhaust manifold and it probably broke and probably will break again from frame flex from jumping/pounding bumps. Sweet.

rfabro said:
JP, have you posted pics and/or vids on your website of the exhaust? Phazerfly, that sounds like an exhaust manifold and it probably broke and probably will break again from frame flex from jumping/pounding bumps. Sweet.

i'll post some pics tonight or ASAP. i should have some time this afternoon to snap a pic or two. i'll try and get some vid next time i'm out. sorry i was in a time crunch during the install

I wonder if the cracking has anything to do with something that is really really hot being unevenly sprayed with something that is sub-zero.
I once cracked a moped engine in two, by trying to cool it off with the garden hose so I could get the hot spark plug out.
I know that cast pieces are different from an exhaust manifold, but it is still metal that is super heated being super cooled irregularly. When different parts of the same piece of metal get rapidly heated or cooled, at different ratesm, things crack. Ask a glass blower.
I am not saying that this is the cause, but I can see it being a factor in the bigger picture.
Just a thought though, not a proven theory, I am not a metalurgy expert, just a crazy brazilian in Alaska that likes to "tinker" with stuff.

Back