• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

7 inch "bigscreen" GPS(Garmin 2757) on Sidewinder/Crash pad

Your a wealth of information Sir..I am installing my garmin 2557 this weekend and will just plug it into the 12 volt plug on the Sidewinder.. I ordered the charger city handlebar mount and cover from amazon.

You will love the 2557, it's a nice size without being too large. and you can run it with your gloves on easily. I just installed that one last year on my Apex from the smaller 1330.

I loved the comment about searching for gas and restaurants. It saved our butt in Wyoming last week, as we had around 50ish miles worth of fuel left. The map showed town as being 27 miles away (as the crow flies) The GPS said it was 52 miles via the trail we were on, and 47 back to the lodge. Time to turn around. We also use the search for gas/food option. It works great for places that are not sponsors on trail maps.

If you search for the common Garmin's on Ebay, or Facebook marketplace, you can get these for under $100 if not under $50 shipped. Sure they are used, but then you don't cry your eyes out if you roll the sled and smash the crap out of them. And they do run in wet snow and cold. I run mine at -20f. The refresh slows at that temp, but it runs. So many folks have them, but are getting GPS in their new cars, so they dump the Garmin Nuvi's that are sitting in the glove box.

Here is a quick clip, and you can see me check my map a couple time, and use it with my cold weather gloves on with no issues. I guess my 2557 will run in Portrait or landscape mode. I have yet to try that.

I would strongly recommend a ram ball mount if possible as it does allow you to adjust the angle if standing more in the ditches, or sitting on the trails. Of there is glare from the sun. I can also leave a ball on my daughters sled if I want to move it. Or slap it on the dash of the Wildcat.

Nice right up guys!

You will love the 2557, it's a nice size without being too large. and you can run it with your gloves on easily. I just installed that one last year on my Apex from the smaller 1330.

I loved the comment about searching for gas and restaurants. It saved our butt in Wyoming last week, as we had around 50ish miles worth of fuel left. The map showed town as being 27 miles away (as the crow flies) The GPS said it was 52 miles via the trail we were on, and 47 back to the lodge. Time to turn around. We also use the search for gas/food option. It works great for places that are not sponsors on trail maps.

If you search for the common Garmin's on Ebay, or Facebook marketplace, you can get these for under $100 if not under $50 shipped. Sure they are used, but then you don't cry your eyes out if you roll the sled and smash the crap out of them. And they do run in wet snow and cold. I run mine at -20f. The refresh slows at that temp, but it runs. So many folks have them, but are getting GPS in their new cars, so they dump the Garmin Nuvi's that are sitting in the glove box.

Here is a quick clip, and you can see me check my map a couple time, and use it with my cold weather gloves on with no issues. I guess my 2557 will run in Portrait or landscape mode. I have yet to try that.

I would strongly recommend a ram ball mount if possible as it does allow you to adjust the angle if standing more in the ditches, or sitting on the trails. Of there is glare from the sun. I can also leave a ball on my daughters sled if I want to move it. Or slap it on the dash of the Wildcat.

Nice right up guys!

Very nice!

I found with anything below the 7" that I ran previous(tried a few 5 inch models) that it was far harder to tap on the settings, or zoom ect...with gloves on. With the smaller screens the buttons to tap on are much smaller, so with glove tips you need to stop sled nearly every time. With the 7" now, I can tap when riding and not miss.

I just want to warn people that a RAM Ball mount wont work well at all with the 7 inch models, As shown in my vidoe inside my truck, the 7" model is quite large and it bounces around in truck, and why I need a block for that to set the weight onto, it works great in truck with that resting block and ram ball.

But On a sled, the 7'' MUST be mounted with a solid bracket bolted to the Ram cradle, any less it will bounce all over and wont even be readable.

These GPS now are so awesome on sleds, I rode Toms for a few weeks without a GPS and really felt "naked" without it. So its very cool his SW now has it too. We got out for a short ride yesterday and Tom seemed to like it alot.

Dan

Always use the proper Garmin wire harness and you wont have any issues...Wire this into your black/red wires that are switched with key on.
http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-usb-power-cable.html

post-75199-0-62442400-1445897587.jpg
Dan,will this wire hook up fit my nuvi 500 I now have on my LTD can-am 4 wheeler,if so,i will just hook that up for now and stick it into my steering post bag I have,for this year,and look for the 7" when I have more money floating around,and not paying for a crashed sled parts lol.

Very nice!

I found with anything below the 7" that I ran previous(tried a few 5 inch models) that it was far harder to tap on the settings, or zoom ect...with gloves on. With the smaller screens the buttons to tap on are much smaller, so with glove tips you need to stop sled nearly every time. With the 7" now, I can tap when riding and not miss.

I just want to warn people that a RAM Ball mount wont work well at all with the 7 inch models, As shown in my vidoe inside my truck, the 7" model is quite large and it bounces around in truck, and why I need a block for that to set the weight onto, it works great in truck with that resting block and ram ball.

But On a sled, the 7'' MUST be mounted with a solid bracket bolted to the Ram cradle, any less it will bounce all over and wont even be readable.

These GPS now are so awesome on sleds, I rode Toms for a few weeks without a GPS and really felt "naked" without it. So its very cool his SW now has it too. We got out for a short ride yesterday and Tom seemed to like it alot.

Dan

Just seen this posts! Kinda answered my question!

Dan - Which call/listening device do you you use in your helmet ?

Last edited:
Would love to see the bracket you made to setup the GPS in that manner..... I am still on the hunt for a reasonably priced unit... This is the only way to go!!

Would love to see the bracket you made to setup the GPS in that manner..... I am still on the hunt for a reasonably priced unit... This is the only way to go!!
Was easy. I actually used a 5"x 8" zinc plated flat joist plate. Drilled out to bolt on with the top 4 riser bolts, then a couple bends to suit your needs and a couple small holes drilled to bolt the garmin mount that Dan used. Trim the excess plate, spray with some black lacquer and viola!

Last edited:
Just an FYI. If you're not sold on a 7" the ZUMO 5" has the ability to track your off road routes and reuse them as if they were actual roads. ie. run the trail to your favorite watering hole and the next time it will navigate that trail you logged giving all the specs as if it were a road. Pretty cool. Oh, and it's waterproof! P.S. NOT CHEAP! $899 msrp

Last edited:
all right guys and girls I figured I’d post here instead of starting a new thread. I am looking for GPS for my Yamaha sidewinder but all models spoken about are currently discontinued. only models available I found are the drive smart or drive models by Garman (Cost effective)
Could use some help prefer larger screen and want to mount on handlebars if anyone has any experience with some of the newer garments please let me know winter is just around the corner

I have heard about the 7" 2797 being gone now. I have seen where a few people were able find refurb 7" models, with full warranty ect. I would CALL some of the places like gpscity.com, they may be able to dive deeper then anything shown on websites.

Another way to research is how I did......I started by researching the RAM website first. They are the ones who make the cradles, you can search by which model GARMINS they make the cradles for. That was how I found out what the largest GPS I could find a cradle for. Problem I found with 5 and 6" garmins was the cradles were avail, however they are the type that do not allow for quick installation. What I mean by that is, they use a regular cable to plug in the power, so you need to plug/unplug the power anytime you want to pop the GPS off to take inside. This is why the 2797 is so nice, it has a powered cradle design, similar to the motorcycle style ZUMO series. ZUMO is great series, however for me they are overpriced and not large enough, although they do now have a 5" I believe zumo. You pay for the waterproof factor which is great, and it will last for sure. NUVI series are automotive and not waterproof, and why I believe they are generally alot cheaper, I just silicone the screen edges and never had a water issue. Now if it was in heavy rain all the time id lean toward ZUMO.

I am going to install my 5" NUVI this winter for a try.....it does not have the quick plug in as I mentioned, but the size is less conspicuous mounted on the crash pad, so I want to see if I can get away with that for a test. 7" truly is best for trips, as I used mine a ton in Qc. But for around home, where I really know all the trails well, the 5" would be fine, and when mounted on crash pad you can see it still pretty decent. 5" 2597 model is same overall as my 7" but just smaller screen.

Dan

Back