• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

According to yamaha, no hyfax overheating problem on XTX '11

They look good but i'm not sure how they will provide any more snow dust for the highest wear point on the skid . See pics lol

I went to the dealer this morning to drop off the worn slides,,, and pick up the White Spring I ordered . He gave me a credit for the HP slides that I picked up yesterday. I think he was more disgusted than I was lol.. Now that's Great service !!

yamahahaapex said:
i have never ever seen sliders that melted, wow.
I have a matching set too the pictures and had the same wheels. Brand new and looked like those after one ride in low snow conditions endof last season. Put on Kimpex Pro wheels (a little bigger diameter) and new hyfax I bought thru shadetree. One ride this year in marginal conditions and the hyfax still look good .

Interesting topic on the slider wear. My main complaint when I bought my 07 Attak was slider wear. It was to the point I had to decline rides if conditions were not perfect. Hard to understand as well as I ride with friends with cats, doos and polaris and under the same conditions none of them had any issues only me. I have always run with the track a bit on the loose side as well. 2 years ago I took some advice and replaced all my wheels with Polaris wheels. I also put on SLP wear pads. Wasn't expecting much but can report that I have run on the same sliders for the last 2 years and they are still 75% intact, hoping for another year. I really don't like having the wear pads there as they look like they could cause some serious issues if they go bad but so far so good. That said I will be watching this thread closely as I plan to replace my sled next year and in all honesty not interested in tackling premature slider wear all over again.

Roger XTX said:
Revers picture

Where did you get those scratchers? Did they come with the option to mount to the wheel? Does anyone know if the TRIC ice scratchers or slidekicks have this capability, or what is needed to mount them to the wheels?

Ski-Dog said:
I also put on SLP wear pads. Wasn't expecting much but can report that I have run on the same sliders for the last 2 years and they are still 75% intact, hoping for another year. I really don't like having the wear pads there as they look like they could cause some serious issues if they go bad but so far so good. That said I will be watching this thread closely as I plan to replace my sled next year and in all honesty not interested in tackling premature slider wear all over again.
Ski-Dog, Can you go on a little more in depth about the wear pads, likes and dislikes. Did you install them yourself? etcc.

Apex55

The wear pads seem to work although I did the pads and the big wheel change at the same time. In some ways I wish I tried just the wheels first to see if it was one or the other or the combinations that works. I installed the wear pads myself, not overly complicated, similar to installing a stud. They go on the closed track window (the only time you would use these are on tracks with a closed window) I made a small jig out of wood just to ensure each hole I drilled was in the centre of the window. I do inspect them on occasion to ensure they remain in place and do not wear. The washer part is bevelled and if they were to wear a serious amount or come loose and catch they could cause some damage to sliders and rails. I recall seeing some pictures on this site a few years ago where the wear pads did some damage so that is my only real worry.

I tried in 2005 these pads, Ripsaw at that time had closed windows. I did not see improvements. This year, it is a fully clip track, worse than ever for slide wera. Between 2006 and 2010, I changed the track for a 1" Predator. No miracle there either.

I hear that installing larger wheels help, make sense because slide wear less when they are close to limit because then, the wheels help.

Since 2005, competion has come with very good engines, Yamaha's strenght.
Meanwhile, slide wear is worse than ever, and suspension on my XTX is way too stiff.

I changed to the Kimpex Pro wheel which is 5.35" as compared to the yammi at 5.125" Low snow conditions have prevented much riding, but put 150 miles on and little or no wear on the hyfax. Snow conditions were so so. Wheel is wider so had to take a little off the inner wheel mounts to run in the middle of the track guides. I am always looking for other options if there is still a problem. The pads, low snow wheel kit, ice scratchers etc..

Hey FrostNutz, any chance you could get your dealer to drill thru those slides you replaced to see how much slide is actual left before it would have worn thru ? My 07 Apex RTX has worn down to 13 mm and it seems that,s where they stay. Just curious to see if they would have worn to the rail. I love the color of your machine. Thanks, Guido

Well thought I would take a close look at mine yesterday and guess what? Yup worn out @ the bend...WTF... :o| I guess I neglected to re-check my track and wow was it tight! Live and learn.

Attachments

• 100_2788.JPG
    100_2788.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 154
  • 100_2789.JPG
    100_2789.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 100_2787.JPG
    100_2787.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 157
#1APEXRIDER said:
Hey FrostNutz, any chance you could get your dealer to drill thru those slides you replaced to see how much slide is actual left before it would have worn thru ? My 07 Apex RTX has worn down to 13 mm and it seems that,s where they stay. Just curious to see if they would have worn to the rail. I love the color of your machine. Thanks, Guido

No need to drill #$%&*

I think the track tension had a lot to do with the premature wear :o|

The XTX 2011 model is the worst sled for Hyfax...thats what a Yamaha dealer said to me...This dealer sell Arctic Cat too!
He claims to Yam all the hyfax and the parts to reduce de wear.
My next hyfax will be the SLP.!

I stopped by my dealers today to pick up some stuff. Saw a set of sliders standing against the wall that looked worse than Frosty's; holes were even bigger. He said they were from '11 XTX. On my "10 I've switched to Doo wheels after 2 sets of sliders in about 1200 miles; wheels are just a little bigger; I forget the mm. size difference but so far so good. I replaced the front 6 and added 2 more in the vacant rear holes. The guy with the "11 did the same and after about 200 miles only sees no wear yet. He saw considerable wear after 200 on the first set.
Will keep you guys posted on wear on both "10 and "11 Apex's

Thanks for letting us know were not alone :)

I really don't want to sound negative about a sled that makes me smile this much . I don't regret buying it and i'm prepared to make the neccessary upgrades to make it right. I just feel they really should have noticed this excessive wear in all the test rides last spring and addressed it for production models.

I had to edit this post ,,,,,, I did some investigating and discovered the secret to long hyfax life.

We have to run scratchers and a Bogie Wheel Suspension :o|

Back