• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Adjustable Fuel Pressure regulator questions

I would go up to 47-48 PSI as CL is still adding alot of fuel. As you mentioned the added fuel pressure has dropped your AFRs down to the default CL WFO setting.

Last edited:
Yeah Derek, the header tunes will require allot more pressure. A good free flowing system with low AIT's is going to take at least 49 lbs

Yes I am running a header, 300 tune, 3" exhaust, and cold air intake. I will increase my "key on" fuel pressure to 48psi.
As can be seen from the data logs the boost exceeds 19psi even with the header so its making good power especially in colder temps also it looks like I will need to put some more weight in the primary to bring the RPM down a bit.
One thing that really shows here is how important closed loop and data logging is when we mix and match vendors components. In my case, without closed loop my sled would have been extremely lean as even the closed loop was maxed out at full throttle trying to achieve the flashes AFR command and only more fuel pressure put the AFRs into commanded range. As we already all know, good fuel is essential obviously as well.
On my sled, I have learned that the adjustable fuel pressure regulator is essential as well to increase fuel pressure to supply enough fuel for full throttle safety.
I think Mike Knapp said this a few years ago and I agree that there must be a lot of tuned sleds out there that are unknowingly running on the edge and strictly relying on the tuners engine protection modes to stay alive.
Interesting that PEFI has a 4bar regulator upgrade for up to 58lbs of fuel pressure for their header tunes. I am surprised that many on here only use around 48psi. Is that the difference of the closed loop system perhaps? I agree, data logging and AFR gauges are key to dial in your setup.

Interesting that PEFI has a 4bar regulator upgrade for up to 58lbs of fuel pressure for their header tunes. I am surprised that many on here only use around 48psi. Is that the difference of the closed loop system perhaps? I agree, data logging and AFR gauges are key to dial in your setup.

The tune needs adjusted to run that 58 lbs of pressure.

Going up in fuel pressure like Bob is doing adjusts for higher flowing mufflers and colder intake temps and more airflow. Keeping in mind he has parts on his machine that have improved airflow over the designed specifications. It's why I say Data Logging is invaluable, plus having the knowledge on how it all works and the operator understanding modified boosted sled operations. Guys get greedy trying every trick of the week when pushing the envelope and things can go bad quickly....

There are many many sleds out there running mismatched parts & running lean and/or over boosting, I guarantee it. They are not logging data either.... PEFI machines are supposed to be running their own mufflers too, not many are. PEFI doesn't even offer Data Logging. The tunes were developed using the Tuning MFGR's aftermarket's in-house mufflers for all, just changing to bigger mufflers and bigger intercoolers changes everything, but without data logging the user is not seeing the issues.

I see many not logging, they are probably too cheap to turn on the Data Logging or uneducated on the subject. Some don't even have a flasher to utilize the Data Logging, so doing the mods over and above what the tune was designed for is very risky. You will find out real quick how good the detonation protection is on the tune. This is why there are so many engines taken down. Some tunes have very poor deto protections and blow engines rapidly, some turn down the sensitivity as not to see the knock lights so quickly, a few of us know who they are and what is what.... Hurricane tunes are very robust and they refuse to turn down the sensitivity.

Pushing the envelope can do damage over time, thus the reason to stay within the tunes parameters and designs, activate the Data Logging and adjust accordingly or risk engine damage. Its pretty simple.

The gauges on these adjustable FPRs use the readings with a grain of salt. Not many are accurate .

Be cautious if say u set it at 45 and the next time u look it reads say 50 . Actual may still be 45.

There was talk of adding Fuel Pressure to the GAP data logging with a sensor but it never happened

I put my snap on fuel pressure gauge in one of the ports in the regulator when setting pressure.
Both regulator gauge and snap on gauge had same readings cold.
Would be easy to install a pressure transducer and wire in a digital gauge into dash.
I like the idea of having fuel pressure on the data log.

Mike was the one who convinced me I needed the adjustable fuel pressure regulator with my setup after I shared a couple of my data logs with him over the past few seasons. The need for additional fuel on my sled is not because of the flash I am using but the additional high flow items I have added and the fact my sled makes a little more boost then is typical for the flash at over 19psi.
I have been staying away from any hard use on the 240 tune and basically I have not been running the 300 tune until I got this regulator installed....
The tune needs adjusted to run that 58 lbs of pressure.

Going up in fuel pressure like Bob is doing adjusts for higher flowing mufflers and colder intake temps and more airflow. Keeping in mind he has parts on his machine that have improved airflow over the designed specifications. It's why I say Data Logging is invaluable, plus having the knowledge on how it all works and the operator understanding modified boosted sled operations. Guys get greedy trying every trick of the week when pushing the envelope and things can go bad quickly....

There are many many sleds out there running mismatched parts & running lean and/or over boosting, I guarantee it. They are not logging data either.... PEFI machines are supposed to be running their own mufflers too, not many are. PEFI doesn't even offer Data Logging. The tunes were developed using the Tuning MFGR's aftermarket's in-house mufflers for all, just changing to bigger mufflers and bigger intercoolers changes everything, but without data logging the user is not seeing the issues.

I see many not logging, they are probably too cheap to turn on the Data Logging or uneducated on the subject. Some don't even have a flasher to utilize the Data Logging, so doing the mods over and above what the tune was designed for is very risky. You will find out real quick how good the detonation protection is on the tune. This is why there are so many engines taken down. Some tunes have very poor deto protections and blow engines rapidly, some turn down the sensitivity as not to see the knock lights so quickly, a few of us know who they are and what is what.... Hurricane tunes are very robust and they refuse to turn down the sensitivity.

Pushing the envelope can do damage over time, thus the reason to stay within the tunes parameters and designs, activate the Data Logging and adjust accordingly or risk engine damage. Its pretty simple.

Both of you guys made me spend more money.
Going to purchase data logging.
I have been watching live data on my tablet when doing testing.
The lack of snow has me doing more than planned on sleds. Paying attention to detail makes the ride so much better.

the way im seeing your data log shows that the closed loop is adding a 21% more fuel than what the hard tune in the ecu is programed at compared to what your adjustable programmer is calling for. i would have your tuner readajust your map tune closer to what it should be soo that your GAP auto tune isnt having to change/adjust that much.... i would only like to see 5% maximum

I believe Closed Loop only starts after 5000rpm and higher, which would explain the anomaly at 4800rpm.
Closed loop is Speed activated. So i suspose at a certain rpm depending on clutching and gearing

Back