• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Air Box Mod updated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive seen a number of guys cut out the bottom of the box. i was wondering if this intake kit would be any different as it looks like it uses a different approach than the original intake hole in the box?
I just saw this on ebay and the question came to mind.

Coming in from the side causes turbulence, ask for dyno chart on that box and note where power is made.

Coming in from the side causes turbulence, ask for dyno chart on that box and note where power is made.
It's definitely mid range power. Stingray what do you think about adding another snorkel to other side? Would that cause more turbulence or the two cancel each other out? I don't want to abandon the Excell since it definitely gave cooler intake temps but the speed at which my divider wore has almost got to show there is massive turbulence going on in there.

It's definitely mid range power. Stingray what do you think about adding another snorkel to other side? Would that cause more turbulence or the two cancel each other out? I don't want to abandon the Excell since it definitely gave cooler intake temps but the speed at which my divider wore has almost got to show there is massive turbulence going on in there.

I liked the mod to mine in the "my airbox mod" thread where he removed ALL the nose not just cut out the piece I did, but worry about the frog skin coming apart without the extra plastic support kept me from trying it. The answer may be my mod with a hose to it like the mid 2000's Arctic Cat did. Remember those? Looked like an RV sewer hose going from nose to air box. Has to be indirect air injection though as many known issues with ram air scoop on sleds.

I liked the mod to mine in the "my airbox mod" thread where he removed ALL the nose not just cut out the piece I did, but worry about the frog skin coming apart without the extra plastic support kept me from trying it. The answer may be my mod with a hose to it like the mid 2000's Arctic Cat did. Remember those? Looked like an RV sewer hose going from nose to air box. Has to be indirect air injection though as many known issues with ram air scoop on sleds.
I remember that. It was on Firecats. Air came in on sides of a piece on hood. Was a frog skin or some filter in between it and big hose. My buddies plugged with snow dust often. What about getting cool air from the cowl like 2st cats? Holes are there.

I remember that. It was on Firecats. Air came in on sides of a piece on hood. Was a frog skin or some filter in between it and big hose. My buddies plugged with snow dust often. What about getting cool air from the cowl like 2st cats? Holes are there.

Without the high air velocity from the nose, interrupting that flow will cause turbulence....unless you run that hose all the way down and then I do not know if you will gain enough HP to make it worth it. The holes in my first air box mod worked better for mod sleds as the need for more air outweighs the turbulence factor but for stock sleds losing the high velocity air flow cause loss of throttle response and top end.....at leas that is what my testing both boxes side by side has shown. Now that being said the difference in the two boxes is very small and takes riding both side by side to tell. As in how would you quantify throttle response if you dyno tested it?

Please do keep trying Cannondale and if you find a large improvement I will be happy. I do this to share with all for free and nothing is better than people improving on your idea.

Ive seen a number of guys cut out the bottom of the box. i was wondering if this intake kit would be any different as it looks like it uses a different approach than the original intake hole in the box?
I just saw this on ebay and the question came to mind.

Went to Ebay to see this, they want you to pay $249.00 for those bolt on screens....LOL!
1. why would you pay $249.00 for a mod you can do free
2. Side air like they have is going to be good for power under 7k.....you need power under 7k when your clutch keeps you above 7k?
3. Thunder Products sells very similar vents for $39.90

I would bet a bunch of members here would mod anybody's box for them for #249.00 :cool:

JUST KIDDING! I developed my air box mod so all could enjoy for free and was not trying to get anybody to set up a box mod business.

Went to Ebay to see this, they want you to pay $249.00 for those bolt on screens....LOL!
1. why would you pay $249.00 for a mod you can do free
2. Side air like they have is going to be good for power under 7k.....you need power under 7k when your clutch keeps you above 7k?
3. Thunder Products sells very similar vents for $39.90

I would bet a bunch of members here would mod anybody's box for them for #249.00 :cool:

JUST KIDDING! I developed my air box mod so all could enjoy for free and was not trying to get anybody to set up a box mod business.

And it does work

Heat pcv divider and bend over to minimize turbulence, as per first pic....
Remove snorkel from the lower air opening and do not reinstall.
Cut out are as per second pic but be careful you don't damage frogskin. This one looks a little rough as pic was taken before finish work.

EDIT 10/05/2015: Jim from EVO says the EVO 2.5 ECU flash will allow this mod to be used with an aftermarket can. Gives you the proper fueling and no starter kickback along with rev limiter raise. Link below.

http://www.evopowersports.com/Yamah...archPage=2&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

EDIT: Please note in the picture that the raised ledge is also cut off around the hole, sorry if that is not clear.

1468594_906496966029917_8254434898331527361_n-jpg.103516

20141008_171131-jpg.103517

I left the frog skin support in there. Here is how mine looks like

b0cc58e1d7bf3053cab0d4cda92b52ed.jpg

4e4138cf3eed2a64da693392e4e1956b.jpg

228d42e5d14abc65acc27f3c5dca3572.jpg

44c60e9a43bbdaaebc717b7fab548883.jpg

Birkebeiner

Looks nice, I have a cat 7000 I'm putting one on right now, had it out for about 10 miles today, only pulling 8700, wanna get the modded air box on and go right back out and see what it does for rpm

Let us know !:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back