• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

air box mod

I will read through it again and look.

Found your set up. Copied and pasted from the air box mod thread.

"Yes I am running stock 04 mtn 151 track and 04 mtn stock gearing and stock 04 mtn secondary. I asked Turk about my primary clutching and he said it is basically stock 03 clutching the arms are filled with stock weights and I think my spring is a stock 03 as well. Sorry I cant go look as I am away at work but Turk said my primary is basically stock 03."

My question is: Will this set up work on my 03, 136" x 1.75" lug track, not sure of the gearing. I don't know much about clutching and I am wondering how I go about finding the best clutching for my set up. Does the max rpm at wot come into play anywhere.

If you ran the same set up as mine you will be fine I am running a 151 2" paddle so you would just get more top end. The trick is to get your rpms down so your not bouncing off the rev limiter. I think at the end I posted exactly what I am running to this day. I will go look again. I know the secondary is a white spring with 70 degrees of twist with stock 04 mountain helix.

I knew I posted this earler but here you go copy this set up for starters. I think you are going to need the white secondary with 70 degrees twist to be the same as mine. If you go to the tytech pages you can see what your sled is in stock condition. Here is the post with the clutching info.

The Primary spring in my sled is a Y-S-Y and the weights are 8FA-17605-10-00 with both rivets installed. So my primary clutching is basically the same as a stock 05 Warrior and my secondary is stock 04 rx-1 mountain. I am reving 10300 to 10500 WFO. So there you have it the complete mod that works and is cheap extra HP and top end. With this mod you should be able to hang with or beat the older Apex's with your RX-1

Note since posting the above clutching info I have changed my gearing now to 24 top and 40 bottom. My top rpm is now 10200 to 10300 WFO.

Cool thanks. A couple questions, I hope they don't sound stupid as I am not farmiliar with the yamaha clutches. The Y-S-Y thing, what does that stand for and how do I know what spring I have. My primary spring is black with a yellow marking on it. Secondary is black. Tech pages say the stock is pink. As far as the weights go, can I add and subtract rivets to adjust the weight. How are these instaled.

Official Yamaha springs are colour coded...primaries are tri colour coded, as in 3 separate paint markings on the black spring, thus Y-S-Y means Yellow-Silver-Yellow. The Secondary spring is marked with just one colour. If your secondary spring is all black with no paint marking on it, it may be aftermarket or the paint marking has worn off.

Scroll down to the bottom of this webpage: http://pioneerperformance.net/pp_clutch_page.htm
It'll will show you the different springs available and their pre-load settings.

I underdstand now. I am used to the polaris springs where the whole spring is yellow, pink.....
I will check tomorrow a bit closer, I just took a quick glance today.

As Grimm has stated your primary should have three colors on an all black spring all right beside each other. The secondary will most likely have the pink color on it you will have to roll it around to find it.

Yes the secondary has a pink mark but the primary only has 1 yellow or more of a goldish mark on it and there is no signs of anything elses that may have been rubbed off. Where is a good place to get some new springs.

edit:
Been doing some research on yamaha primary springs. Found out that several year phasers, ventures and mountain max have a primary spring that has one goldish mark on it. Is it possible that this spring could be in my primary. The spring looks identicle to this.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NOS-Yamaha-Snowm ... 99&vxp=mtr

Anything is possible, go to your Yamaha dealer and buy the springs you want no sense in gettng second hand springs as they do get weak. Get a white secondary and a Y-S-Y primary spring. Your weights and rivets should be the same as mine unless someone has switched them out on you. Your primary is supposed to be a Y-S-Y stock so someone has played with your clutching. I just did some checking and my clutching is the same as an 05 warrior other than the degree of twist on secondary. You can change the primary spring and weights while the clutch is on the sled just be careful and do one arm weight at a time.

Sounds good, Thanks sled dog. I was just down in your area, sota, Esterhazy, and did some sledding in the hills of the quapelle river valley. It was kinda nice to sled and be able to see something. Up here in the flin flon area it's either wide open lakes or thick bush trail riding.

Back