• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Allow Me To Introduce Myself....

Toploader427

Hi Everyone,
My name is Randy, 55, I live in Novi Mich.
I am new to this site.
Have not owned a sled since about 73. Got turned off to snowmobiling back when the great state of Mich tried to shut it down by writing tickets up north for riding the back roads. My younger brother has re-introduced me and I am "hooked again".
I was going to buy yellow but have seen the light. There really is no question in my mind that I will be buying a Yamaha sled. Am looking at the Apex GT...Really would like to ride one before I buy but after checking different dealers in the state, I see that it's tuff to find "demo sleds". I have one possibility in Gaylord this weekend to ride some kind of a Yamaha at a dealer there. Questions:
I have read different posts about purchasing warranties and I read that if you have a problem, a lot depends on how much a dealer will back you for a particular problem. So...this question is, how do we discover who the good dealers are in our state? I have no problem going out of my area to buy a sled if I am going to get good service with the deal.
Also..could you all plz enlighten me to some of the pros-cons about the Apex...Like I said, I am 55, am looking for a trail machine that will suit my style of riding (that being mostly on the trail) and also one that I can "mod on" in the off season.
I am leaning toward the Apex GT.
Thanks... it feels way better here than it did in the "yellow snow".
(I posted this in the other forum and they told me I would get more informative answers here) :Rockon:

Welcome to the site!

The apex is awesome, its brutal fast though. Depending on what your riding style is you may like the 120hp vector 3 cly much better its quieter and gets almost 20 mpg. My father who just turned 58 loves his, he drives the wee out of it and keeps up with us no problem.

Apex GT would be a cushy choice, probably one of the best sleds ever built. Be prepared to add a few extras to get it to handle if you really like riding hard otherwise its darn near perfect stock. I want one but acnt afford it! Drove one once and loved it. I ended up converting my RX1 into a rx1PEX with the apex seat, front suspension, etc and i love it until I can afford a real one :)

Have fun!

kinger said:
Welcome to the site!

The apex is awesome, its brutal fast though. Depending on what your riding style is you may like the 120hp vector 3 cly much better its quieter and gets almost 20 mpg. My father who just turned 58 loves his, he drives the wee out of it and keeps up with us no problem.

Apex GT would be a cushy choice, probably one of the best sleds ever built. Be prepared to add a few extras to get it to handle if you really like riding hard otherwise its darn near perfect stock. I want one but acnt afford it! Drove one once and loved it. I ended up converting my RX1 into a rx1PEX with the apex seat, front suspension, etc and i love it until I can afford a real one :)

Have fun!

I agree, the Apex is awesome, but the Vector is just right for some people. My uncle ,who is 71 ,has a 2007 Vector GT and likes it alot. It's a great trail cruiser. For me the APEX is perfect, I have that need for speed, but not everyone does. I think he should ride them both and make a decision. Especially for as long he has been away from the sport...........might be in shock when he hits the throttle!!

My dad, at 73 years of age has a 2008 Vector GT Ann. Model. Just the perfect sled for him. I am not saying all 70ish year old men need a Vector, but most people do not need he added power AND WEIGHT of the Apex. To be honest, that is why I did not buy an APEX this year. I bought the FXNytro. Wanted a lighter feeling sled for mountain riding.

I'm 61 and I ride an Apex RTX. The ride is soft enough on most trails, and if I feel the need, the RTX has the stuff.

People buy sleds from all over. My brother traveled 600 miles to get one last month. I would recommend Pat's in Greenland, MI, and JC Powersports in Crivitz, MI.

We have purchased 2 sleds from Pat's and 1 from JC Powersports, this year, and found them both to be great. The deals were great, and the service was excellant.

Pat's has every Yamaha made and will let you ride 'em. We took one out for an afternoon long demo ride last month. They are right on the trail.

The apex and the vector are both great sleds. They are both close. The apex has that little bit extra pull when you get on it and if you are into that kind of thing go with the apex. If the fastest or the quickest isn't on the very top of your list then give a vector a try. Again both great sleds. I bought mine and then started reading and then worrying because of the problems in the posts on this site but that is not indicative to Yamaha sleds. Most of us have very little problems with our sleds and when you do you have this site to find all the answers.

OH and by the way, look left, yes you can have yellow and EAT your cake too. Excuse me I have something on my face. LOL

Welcome to the family !!!!!

For me, the big advantage of the Apex was the fuel injection. The Vector didn't have it. I will never buy another sled without fuel injection.

So if I went with the vector, do you guys think I would regret having carbs vs EFI ??? MPG's are certainly an issue,... would there be a big difference in mpg between the vector and apex taking into consideration how hard either are driven makes a huge difference, but on the average would the vector do much better just because its lighter and fewer ponies?
Also...thanks for the heads up about PAT's in the UP, I will certainly do my best to get up there, good to know someone has demo's you can ride...long ways or me to go though especially if I need service I am downstate in Novi. Thanks you guys for the great info!! :Rockon:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the carbs. They are nothing to regret, and are in every way as good as fuel injection. In fact, carbs are BETTER than FI due to being user serviceable and much more tunable.

The purpose of FI is to make it easier to start for people who are mechanically inept, ie, no need to judge when to choke and for how long.

I have an 05 RX1 with carbs. The carbs are no problem at all. Starts every time. Let it warm up until the warm up light goes out and that is all there is to it. Not like a two stroke that might need a little more choke during warm up (cold blooded) , or too much choke.
Very simple!. From what I have heard that vectors get around 20mpg, you won't pull that with an Apex/Attact with FI.

Good luck with your dicision. I don't think you can make a wrong one.

P.S. By the way the cops and DNR are at it again in Michigan. Must be our governer is trying to pay our debt with snowmobile tickets. They are going to drive business away again.

Bruce

Carbs go out of sinc, while fuel injection is easier to tune, if you don't like the map just unplug the power commander. For me on a sled I could go either way. I also race an R1 and for me tuning is way easier with FI. I had the older R1 and trying to jet that thing to make power was much more time consuming. Much more work. I have had both. Put both on a dyno and the FI is tuned in minutes with some push of the buttons. Carb well that is another story. For a sled you could go either way and you would be fine. I've heard guys foul plugs with too much choke on the carb models but I've also heard guys foul plugs on the FI if it is not allowed to warm up enough. I would leave the decision up to what you like. They are both great sleds and no matter which one you choose you will be happy.

LazyBastard is right on, but the Apex can make you feel 16 again as soon as you crack throttle. It's ADDICTING...

If you do get to test ride the apex and vector, you will think the apex is ALOT faster due to the much more noticable engine growl.
Line them up and you will find the vector can hold its own up to 80+ MPH against the apex. The apex will easily top end the vector.
I hear that it is a PITA to do an oil change and spark plugs on the 4 holer.
If you decide on a vector, go with th 08 in the DBII chassis.
$2000 less on the sticker, and 4 to 6 mpg better on the trail.
Problem is, the growl of the 4 holer is almost worth it!!!!

Back