• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Always hard to start for the first time.

derrickps

Website
plus.google.com
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
yamaha
I always have a hell of a time getting my 2010 rs Venture to start for the first time each season. Once its started that first time never a problem. Any tips to make it easier to get going?

Take air box lid off and take some fuel in a spray bottle and spray it into the throttle body with the throttle wide open... then crank it. For some reason it looses its prime sometimes.

Make sure you set the brake or lift the rear if the belt is still on. Spray bottle filled with a little gas works well.

Thanks. Will try them next year. Was able to fire it up blowing air into fuel tank to prime. Not sure why it loses prime over summer. The boys 120 started first pull

I start mine every month in the summer,always starts fine,wait longer and it cranks forever before starting
I always have good intentions of doing this but just never actually do it. Might need to make it more of a priority.

I disconnect a fuel line between the pump and carbs and pour in gas using a small funnel to fill the float bowls. Starts right up after this!

Just like "Pat the Rat" says... Start it once a month and it will always start and keep all the important internal engine parts well oiled including those cam bearings that can freeze up after a long sit in a matter of moments. Also, you will hardly ever have to clean the carbs. Ever open up a carb and see all that green stuff in there? That is bacteria growing cloging your jets etc. Start it once a month and the green stuff will never form with new gas going through the system.

I used to start mine monthly, never again.
It would start perfectly, let it run for 10 minutes, and shut it off.
Of course when I wanted to take it out of storage, it wouldn't start.
The plugs were done. Not a nice job to change those. Yamaha engineers design everything to be changed by their contortionist mechanics with little girlie hands.

If you start them in the summer, let them get good and hot. Run them until the temperature light comes on, and then shut it off. You won't foul your plugs this way, and the computer won't let you overheat the engine anyway.

If the new Yamacat has a real hood that opens, that will be my future sled.
Dumb Yamaha engineers making everything inaccessible.

Just blow on the vent hose above the left footwell. It connects to a metal hose in that area and terminates somewhere below. Just take it off and blow air in it with your mouth or air compressor. Just a little shot with air compressor. Starts almost emidiatly.

Just blow on the vent hose above the left footwell. It connects to a metal hose in that area and terminates somewhere below. Just take it off and blow air in it with your mouth or air compressor. Just a little shot with air compressor. Starts almost emidiatly.

definitely DO NOT use an air compressor to blow into any lines like that ever. unless you want to destroy something.

blowing on it works 100% of the time, if it doesnt start after the first 5 or 10 seconds at the most then start looking for other issues

I have done this as well for the last couple of years, works like a charm. I learned this here but also ensure I back the compressor outlet pressure to under 30 psi.

Back