• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Another do it yourself turbo project

Did the head gasket on Sunday. Wasn't as big of a job as I first thought it would be. Took the rack off, removed the exhaust, and all of the main bolts holding the Delta box frame. There is a small access window on the block about mid height just behind the left side of the sump reservoir. Remove the black cap, and rotate the crank until cyl. 1&4 are at TDC. Note the position of the index mark on the wheel, as well as the 2 index marks on the exhaust and intake cams.

Next removed that cam chain tensioner, and then the 8mm bolts holding the shafts in place (try to work these out at the same time, as there is pressure on the cams from the valve springs). Once you have the cams out, there are about 10 allen key nuts holding the head on. Remove these, noting where they came from (they're not all the same). The head will just about lift right off, needed to lift the Deltabox up about 1", but there was plenty of play in it with the bolts removed.

Put the two new gaskets in, slid the head back down, and re-torqued. Put the cams back in place, making sure they're aligned with the reference marks and the crank. Slowly torque all of the 8mm bolts down, re-install the tensioner, cam cover, and exhaust. I'm leaving the carbs off for a while - they need some mods to work with the turbo.

That's about it. We took our time, and I think finished the job in about 3-4 hours.

lakercr, thanks for the cool pics. It looks like those cams ride on bare aluminum. Did you notice any wear or scoring? How many miles are on the motor? How did the piston tops and combustion chamber look?

They do ride on bare aluminum, but everything was flawless. The motor has about 2500 miles on it, almost all of them above 100mph. Piston tops were a different story - lots of carbon build-up. The sled tends to burn oil when running WFO, I'm assuming this had something to do with the way the pistons looked. Going to try fitting a PCV valve for this season.

Does that mean you are getting a lot of blowby at high rpm due to crankcase pressure buildup?

Most likely it is the fact that the crank vents into the airbox and is blowing some oil through on sustained WFO runs. I'll be keeping my eye on it once the motor is alive again and post my observations.

Lakercr, I picked up a filter from Canadian Tire for venting the crank case it's a little rectangle one and it fits in perfect. All you have to do is put a short straight piece of hose from the filter to that black plastic box thats bolted to the delta box that hooks to the crank case. It was made for a Volkswagon. If your interested E-Mail me and I'll take pictures and send them to you.

Hey snow and laceracer,i had similar problems last year on extended full throttle runs,now i am talking wfo for mile after mile my sled would use a qt.of oil every 250-300 miles,so if you guys can come up w/a pcv valve that you think will work,please give a part number and send a pic of how to install it,thanks pete 8)

Fever - I've been looking over the PCV offerings at the local CDN Tire. Can you send me the photos/part#? Thanks.

Pete - I do a lot of riding just like you described. I'll let you know how my testing goes.

Did a little more work on the rear end last night. Finished fitting the exhaust Y pipe, installed the O2 sensor, amd pretty much finished the rear-end plumbing. The oil return line is a steel elbow off the bottom of the core - it was too long, and pointing in the wrong dirrection. Spent some time cutting, bending and re-welding it together. The oil return is gravity fed, so this piece needs to have a gradual downhill slope to it. I wanted to exit the exhaust out the stock openings similar to how Bender's is done, but I didn't like the idea of one pipe being a "dummy", so I worked out what I hope is a solution while I was building the diffuser. If I'd had enought of the proper clamps, the entire rear end would have been done last night. As it is, I need to spend another couple hours on the last bit of plumbing and the tunnel protector/charge tube, then the turbo is completeup to the Delta box. Fuel system and intercooler are next.

Did a little more work on the rear end last night. Finished fitting the exhaust Y pipe, installed the O2 sensor, amd pretty much finished the rear-end plumbing. The oil return line is a steel elbow off the bottom of the core - it was too long, and pointing in the wrong dirrection. Spent some time cutting, bending and re-welding it together. The oil return is gravity fed, so this piece needs to have a gradual downhill slope to it. I wanted to exit the exhaust out the stock openings similar to how Bender's is done, but I didn't like the idea of one pipe being a "dummy", so I worked out what I hope is a solution while I was building the diffuser. If I'd had enought of the proper clamps, the entire rear end would have been done last night. As it is, I need to spend another couple hours on the last bit of plumbing and the tunnel protector/charge tube, then the turbo is completeup to the Delta box. Fuel system and intercooler are next.

Back