• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Another front end out of whack?sub frame?spindles?a-arms?

racingronnie said:
Where should I start?? After reading these posts I stepped out for a look. My RH shock spring is much closer to the arm towards the back. Left side appears to still be centered. Also noticed a lot of slop in the entire front end . 1300 miles! Why ?????????? FX Nytro- non RTX
My cell phone pics didnt turn out very good, but thats exactly what I first noticed.

Being a light wt. 4 stroke ain't easy.
Do you guys see any signs of paint cracking at stress points on the a arm? If the frame at the base of the a arms remains straight then the a arms themselves are twisting, but why only on one side?
I think everyone has had the bend on the rt side correct?
I feel for you guys, and hope yammie doesn't blow you off like some of your fellow owners are.
I know this site wants to be pro yammie all the way, but the pendulum swings both ways gotta discuss the good as well as the bad.

Just get them to your dealers, and if you need to, get them on TY from their store and show them these post(s), and be sure they get the complaint logged with Yamaha!!!!
Can somebody post pics of the underside of the sled?? I posted this on another thread also, but the spindles and a-arms don't seem to be what's bent. It seems to me that it would be the subframe underneath. (where they mount) Mines not bent, so I'd like to see what the under side of the frame looks like.

snoway said:
I feel for you guys, and hope yammie doesn't blow you off like some of your fellow owners are.
I know this site wants to be pro yammie all the way, but the pendulum swings both ways gotta discuss the good as well as the bad.

And we don't mind pendulum discussions, as long as they aren't "Rants", have some evidence, don't go right for the corporate jugular, and turn into constructive problem solving threads. Spare us the wine and cheese parties. Everyone is allowed to vent to a degree but it can be done without directing any negativity. TY as a whole must be doing something right if Yamaha Canada's 'sled talk blog' is using the Forums, and that is only great news for us consumers.

Back to the program!

Just checked out front end with all this talk......BENT

I consider myself a very conservative rider. I like groomed, flat trails.

No jumps, ditches etc

1100 Canadian miles with great conditions.

For some reason it won't let me post pics?

Still no pics

I can get my finger between the A ARm and the spring on one side and the other its not even close.

It appears the right side (while sitting on the sled) is bent or pushed back toward the rider. I cant determine what is actually bent.

the suspension still works fine and I cant honestly tell while riding the machine.

Im fine riding it the way it is as long as its not a safety issue.

Whats the chances of a catastrophic failure?

Once again, I ride flat groomed trails.

The problem with mine is you can't see anything bent. The dealer is aware of my problem, is going to contact Yamaha and will look at my sled tuesday when he knows Yamahas view on this. I could post pics of the spindles on different angles but it will be no different than anyone elses pictures.

What is bent is the internal sub-frame assembly or front clip. It is constructed in a "cage" type design and the lower rear portion of the cage moves either left or right when a sufficient force is applied to either spindle. With the phazer this sub-frame or front clip is a single piece of metal which meant that the a-arms would bend and the bolts would shear under the same impact. With the Nytro it appears that since the upper and lower arms are attached to different portions of the cage, the cage bends either left or right instead. This also serves to protect the engine bulkheads that are significantly more expensive and labor intensive to replace.

Here is a pic of the part that Throttlemonkey is referring too.

08fxnytro_7ii_86d76e29.jpg

And here is a pic of one that is bent. (I think Ulmer may have posted this originally.)

Ouch003.jpg

As you can see, the frame is not straight. It looks as though the right hand side (brake side) is pushed back.

I'm sure you could add a piece in there somewhere to ensure it would not bend so easy, but the challenge would also be to ensure that in the case where you want it to bend to save the engine or bulkhead that it does.

I think the A-arms should bent first, but it appears that the subframe may be weaker than the A-arms.

I still think it's strange how only some people are having this happen and it seems to be low speed impact or carbide biting hard on something that is causing it.

These last few posts have really shined a bright light on what is happening, for me,...someone who doesn't own the Nytro.
I assumed the a-arms were mounted to a thin walled cast aluminum framework ie; the DBI and II
I'm just a retarded carpenter by trade, but I bet a few pounds of well placed tubular steel bracing would solve the flimsy nature of this design. Right now you've got a cage that can't stand the unequal stress put upon it by the a-arms during normal trail use.which is alot ,when you think about it.
Jump this thing all you want, the downward force isn't the problem, its the lateral force of everyday riding that is doing the twisting.
JMHO.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the bend is in the lowest tube, where I circled. I think Ulmer said he hit a rock with this frame. A forward moving hit would 'force' the lower arm to move rearward and could have pulled the frame with it. A picture of the bottom would help! A small X added to that lower portion would move the weak point somewhere else, but where is the question???

Attachments

• Ouch003.jpg
    Ouch003.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 126
Crewchief47 said:
snoway said:

And we don't mind pendulum discussions, as long as they aren't "Rants", have some evidence, don't go right for the corporate jugular, and turn into constructive problem solving threads. Spare us the wine and cheese parties. Everyone is allowed to vent to a degree but it can be done without directing any negativity. TY as a whole must be doing something right if Yamaha Canada's 'sled talk blog' is using the Forums, and that is only great news for us consumers.

Back to the program!
By the way.....who is "WE" as in And we don't mind, yadda, yadda, yadda...
Nevermind, I know, its the click of mods on this site.

Back