• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

any engine failures?

I have been lucky (touch wood) that I've had no problems....
However, I feel there is a reason for that. Let me try to explain.
The original holtzman kits had two solenoids, I have/had that. I'll explain the 'had' part later in this post.
The updated kits starting in 2007 or 08 had a single solenoid, I don't like it. Just my opinion.
All the kits spray FUEL via 4 little tiny nozzles in your airbox.
As a PRE-season check every year, I would run the sled (as seen in this video) and I would look into each rubber boot and see if the FUEL was spraying.

I think that is the reason for the failures. One of those tiny spigots is not spraying. Also, I had mine on a WOT switch, but if you are using the supplied button, the chance of you intermittently pressing it is greater and I think that the nitrous reacts (sprays) quicker than the fuel does and the intermittent pressing (think about it, you're trying to press and hold and HOLD THE F ON to the sled!) makes you LEAN out as there is more NOS vapour than fuel spraying.

Even with a good Wide Band O2 gauge, I believe the above scenario can happen quickly.

I run my nitrous RICH....high 10's to 1. Maybe low 11's.

Now onto my system....
The first year I had nitrous, 2006-07 winter, I did NOT have a power commander at all. I relied on my Wide Band gauge (and WOT switch) and the fact that the apex PULLS timing at 11000 rpm. It ran flawlessly.
The next year, 07-08 winter, I added a Power Commander 3 with timing module, map toggle switch and hub. This allowed me to use the PC3 for a few things....a) used the PC3 rpm window setting to piggyback the WOT switch on MAP #2. b) run 2 maps, motor map and nitrous map. c) add fuel when spraying nitrous in rpm window (9500+) I added maybe 10%. d) I pulled timing (2 degrees I think) from 9500+.

When I added the Yamcharger, I removed the Holtzman fuel system. I also only installed ONE 15gr/sec nitrous nozzle in the charge tube. I now add fuel (upwards of 45%) via the PC3 and I pull timing with it too. So I now rely on the stock Apex fuel system (injectors) just like all the TURBO and SC kits do. In my opinion this is significantly more reliable.

In the 9 seasons I've had the nitrous, I've probably run 70lbs of nitrous through the sled at least!

Here's video from last winter, wide band reads 10.9 to 1 and rpms are low that day...1320 feet.

Back