• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Any Updated Relays Yet????

Mine did it 2 days after I got it, luckily I had already read about it here, knew exactly what to do, ten minute fix and it did not ruin my weekend.... or day. Has not done it since, but I did just order the Polaris Relay and will swap it out to avoid the nuisance. I bought a 3 pack so if anyone needs one.... at the time I forgot it was just the fuel pump relay which got fussy.

But all of this does make a case for coating our non solid state relays to better seal them as someone suggested. With age I can imagine a good relay going bad also.

EDIT Come to think of it mine have sat in water twice, two hours the first time and overnight
the second.

Last edited:
I had issues last year in QC, last gauge display for a while luckily it wasn't the fuel pump relay. I wonder if putting some descant bags in the fuse box would be beneficial? It's hard to believe no one makes solid state replacement relays.

I had this issue in Timmins-30 we all went out started sleds all started. I turned mine off went inside to finish gearing up went back out to start no start fuel pump relay warmed up then ok. My buddy before in Sudbury really cold -20 pulled off trailer shut off geared up. Went to go start same thing no start. So what I recommend is if you start let warm right up before shutting off. The other winder no issues. We all have in heated garage. And all ride same times and areas. So I hope with this relay helps.

Pan

I went to my local Polaris dealer today and bought the relay. I asked him about issues with this relay and he tells me Polaris had a lot of problems with relays for ATV’s and SxS’s. Since they got the redesigned unit, no issues whatsoever. They have had the new relay for quite a while now.

I will be installing the Polaris relay to avoid a problem.

Thanks KnappAttack!

Yamaheater Rock is making some. He has sent me a few to check out. Fully sealed 100% water proof. Pricing has not been finalized yet, but as soon as it is I will be selling them.
Solid state?

I am saddened to see this is still an issue. Back on my 2000 SRX I had freezing relay issue with the gauge pod but at least it didn't leave you stranded.

Then on the Apex with the famous fuel pump relay which does leave you stranded. Yamaha finally came out with a fix with the solid state red relay. In no time I upgraded mine and from memory it looked like it was the same model of relay on my SRX.

To bad the Sidewinder relay seems to be a different type of connector. Glad Polaris has a better quality distributor for this and soon Rock.

To all that aren't worried of this happening to them. This is very temperature/humidity specific. Some years/area this will never happen. Then it take only one season on a trip to give you problems. Hearing about my friends story of 3 Apex and 1 BRP going for a short 15min ride to get to the restaurant one evening. Ladies double ridding in the back as it wasn't far or cold. By the time they came out to get back home the temperature dropped to below -20C. All 3 Apex no start. BRP did the taxi back and forth that night. Next day go with a trailer and they all started!

Meanwhile can't you dip dry one that hasn't been into the element yet this season in plastic dip? Humidity shouldn't be able to penetrate it being coated.

I still swear by Dielectric grease on them but it has to be done when new. Any little bit of corrosion effects these things. Also sure seems to be issue to start it then stop.

A7B37B3D-0EFC-4553-96EC-8BDB18109703.jpeg
I wrapped my relay box in duct insulation last year and had no issues.

FWIW, after my new Polaris relay arrived, I let it sit in the house a few days, then sprayed the exterior with a couple coats of black plasti dip being careful not to get any on the male spades. when dry, flipped it and sprayed some of same into a small lid, then applied around the spades with an opened paper clip to more or less provide a secondary means of sealing the whole thing. will advise.

FWIW, after my new Polaris relay arrived, I let it sit in the house a few days, then sprayed the exterior with a couple coats of black plasti dip being careful not to get any on the male spades. when dry, flipped it and sprayed some of same into a small lid, then applied around the spades with an opened paper clip to more or less provide a secondary means of sealing the whole thing. will advise.

If its the factory Polaris relay, it is factory sealed you know. No need to do anything to it. It's why they designed it was to be waterproof.

If its the factory Polaris relay, it is factory sealed you know. No need to do anything to it. It's why they designed it was to be waterproof.
guess I missed that, it's wearing a condom now:)

Relay box on Sidewinder are under hood just behind bumper. The one that's gives me trouble is the one on the left. (Fuel Pump) The dash will not light up, but starter turns over and will not start.

The exact thing happened to me this weekend -10 and had to pop the hood, swap relays around

Back