• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

anybody install tunnel protecters yet?

right, left and center...goes on the rear heat exchanger.....holes point to the rear.......add glue...slide in from the front, push rear past end of exchanger (so you are clear of it) ...add screw....slide back forward till screw stops (acts as a stopper)

and yes...as posted...recommend driving the screws in the holes before installing (to tap) so that the screws are easy to screw in once installed

Last edited:

so you get 3 pcs in the set that ya orders and only goes over heat exchanger

what stud pattern do ya have to go with when using the protectors .... or recommend

get the protectors from full power performance they just slide on and bolt to back you don't have to take skid out to do them

what stud pattern do ya have to go with when using the protectors .... or recommend
lots of them, especially if you plan on performance mods. do a search on studding here, it was well talked about early. you will see that avoiding the center of track was mentioned, but i haven't read of anyone having problems that didn't. unless you are jumping the sled maybe.

FWIW I only put in the outer 2 protectors. 1600 miles with 144 in the center 1.4 something and nothing has hit even after high speed through 2 ft moguls for 30 miles straight. I didn't want the studs hitting the center protector and have never had a sled with one there.

really shouldnt stud in the center 1"=1.5 inch anyways...beyond the center heat exchange protector reason...the center of the track is weakest and... the fact often the stud head can work on the shock eyelet i.e. sand away ....this has happened to some over the years...

I'm not seeing any part numbers thrown in here and not having much luck finding the Tunnel Protector anywhere other than Yamaha direct for A bit over $100. It comes up as part # SMA-*LR21-50-00. Is the Cat Tunnel Protector #7639-138 the same? When the Yamaha pic comes up it doesnt show the screws & adhesive as the Cat one.

tunnel protector is really the wrong name for it...its heat exchanger protectors....the coolant runners going to and from the rear heat exchangers are the actual tunnel protectors.....although some are making "add ons" for more protection since its marginal for long studs

Well, that doesn't answer the question and since both the Yamaha and Arctic Cat websites refer to them as "Tunnel Protectors" that works for me..............

I'm not seeing any part numbers thrown in here and not having much luck finding the Tunnel Protector anywhere other than Yamaha direct for A bit over $100. It comes up as part # SMA-*LR21-50-00. Is the Cat Tunnel Protector #7639-138 the same? When the Yamaha pic comes up it doesnt show the screws & adhesive as the Cat one.

SAB1 - we have those Yamaha SMA-8LR21-50-00 protectors in stock for $62.95 if you need them - the kit definitely comes with the screws and adhesive to do the install.

Back