• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

anyone go back to running a 2 stroke?

jimmie d said:
The 4 strokes have their place and so do the 2 strokes. I don't know which propaganda is worse here or at dootalk.

Jim

I agree if weight is all that matters, buy a 2 stroke. Don't even try to tell me it doesn't stink though. I don't care what oil you use. I cannot stand to ride behind one for more than a couple of minutes anymore and that is the truth.

Currently I think that Yamaha offers the best 4 stroke options, but I'm perfectly open to any brand of sled as long as it is a 4 stroke. My clothes don't smell, my eyes don't burn after riding in a group all day and I don't have to buy oil at $25 a gallon either. I don't ride in powder, 50 or 75 pounds more weight in a sled means nothing to me. If power to weight ratio were really a big deal to me I could easily blow away any 2 stroke without compromising the reliability of my motor by adding a supercharger or turbo. The same cannot be said about a 2 stroke.

I will be buying a PWC soon, and it will without a doubt be a 4 stroke as well. It may be a Sea Doo or it may be a Waverunner, not sure, but it WILL be a 4 stroke.

I had always ridin AC two smokes then I got my first yammy. 03 RX-1 Justed loved it and still do. made it into a warrior though. bought an 07 Apex GT Night and day better than the RX. so each time I have bought it just gets better. I'm sure all makes have gotten better, but it appears yammy has the fit and finsh that I like. I do try and lead most of the time, because I don't end up smellin like oil smoke. Gotta keep the wife happy, or no one is gonna be happy. stay out front where the air is clean and clear. 4 strokes for ever! Honk

I can understand about the offtrail riding. I think the lighter 2 strokes are better lighter for that type of riding. But as far as ride goes if you still have the pro action suspension you are really not getting the best Yamaha has to offer. I comlained of the same thing on my 03 and ended up with a SkiDoo Sc10 III and having the shocks revalved. Much better now. I know the new ones after 05 have alot better suspension in them I amean alot better. I am with most of these guys here the nly performance 4 stroke is the Yamaha I am not really locked into brand but I liked the power and performance of the 4 stroke when it came out. I know 2 strokes have come along ways. But overall I think you will have less motor problems with a 4 stroke more dependability. To be hones 3 of my buddies bought MachZ's only one has had engine trouble (not sure what it is yet but sounds like piston slap) It could have been caused by the dealer resetting his oil inj to low hard to say yet. They have similar fuel mileage alittle worse but not bad they are a bit faster top end than my 03 RX with mods but not alot maybe 1-1.5 sleds up to 105 MPH but there modded too. I think it goes more twards personal preference. 2 strokes sitting on them riding them dont stink but yes riding behind them is tough some days. If I was going off trail mountain riding I would consider something else maybe a switchback etc. But for Maine trails groomed mostly rough somtimes but 90 % on trail riding I love my Yamaha.

I agree with jimmie 75%of my riding is off trail.There is not enought track for the 4 cylinder weight unless you go to a 144" or bigger.The lightweight stuff is more fun for off trail riding.But for trail riding I like the 4 strokes.Not everyone has the same riding style.

I take the two stroker out once and a while. Its a different ride but alot of fun just the same. As far as the oil smell, sometimes I miss it, its all about what type of ride I am looking for that day.

NJNYTRO said:
I take the two stroker out once and a while. Its a different ride but alot of fun just the same. As far as the oil smell, sometimes I miss it, its all about what type of ride I am looking for that day.
its funny but for a while there,you sounded like johnny skeptical and is cousin lol

I too am on the 4-stroke fence.

I like my 03 RX-1 (that is now a 136"), but it is falling out of favour in a hurry. It's a great trail sled that has given me very little trouble, but the weight is really becoming an issue.

I am doing a lot more mountain and backcountry riding now than I used to and I suppose the biggest change has been in me, not the sled.

Having a look at the new Everests and Renegades in the 425-435lb range really hurts. 250lbs less weight is a significant difference that the 4-stroke crowd cannot ignore. The only drawback is that I would be buying a carbureted 800 twin. Yikes. Gas guzzling without any temp/alt compensation. I'm not so sure I want to buy a carbureted sled in this day and age OR replace a lousy Rotax twin in that magic 6000km range.

Jackshaft just a suggestion but you better look a little more into the 800 power tec. It is carbed , but it does have temp compensation and suprisingly good fuel mileage If memory serves me right around 12-15mpg Not positive on that number. I is not like the carbed sleds of the past.

Wolfman

Jack Shaft

what do you think of the mountain version of the new nytro seems to be very much lighter than the RX/APEX versions and has the 153 track.

Still get the 4 stroke and the Yamaha quality(I agree better but not another league than others - new stuff)

JUst a thought

Yamadoo

Prior to getting my first Yamaha(and I still say 1 of the best they have ever built!) a 2000 srx I had owned a couple of ski-doos and had nothing bad at all too say about the bombi product.I have had 2 RX-1's with good results(other than the rod bolt failure on my 05)but still looked upon the doo product as a quality machine.That opinion was shot to hell this past weekend when

wolfman said:
Jackshaft just a suggestion but you better look a little more into the 800 power tec. It is carbed , but it does have temp compensation and suprisingly good fuel mileage If memory serves me right around 12-15mpg Not positive on that number. I is not like the carbed sleds of the past.

Wolfman

Alright so it has the new version of DPM, still not as good as EFI and I do not believe those fuel mileage claims at all. I rode with an 800R Summit for most of this winter and it was a complete and utter pig for fuel.

Still not sure of what I will do, but that REV-XP chassis is looking more appealing by the minute. I wouldn't want to tag a tree with that front end though, yikes! Talk about spindly!

Back