• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone not had a issue with the infamous "link"

What I think is really funny is how much they charge for this stuff... I realize it's cheaper than all the other parts that may need replaced if it were to break on the trail, but $180 for that little chunk of aluminum. I have had small custom billet parts made that were just one-off pieces that didn't cost half what this little part does. And these Yamaha parts are production pieces... 1000's made at a time. My next question would be, are they auctually billet (bet there not) or are they cast and then machined.

Sorry, I'll get down now, it's one of those days and I'm tired and the cost of running these sleds just keeps going up and up and up... oh well.

Trevor

cdsgraphic: They are defenetly not cast. from what i heard there are needle bearings in them too.

miked said:
Guys that broke the link, is it usually from jumping?
To be honest, this is my daughter's snowmobile that broke and she is 15. She doesn't ride like an animal. This sled had 300 miles when it broke. I ride an 2004 RX1

I am sure that its from bottoming out whether jumping or just big holes.I dont remember bottoming from jump but do remember bottoming on the trails.Probably if everyone had the good shocks and set it up stiff enough that the rear never bottomed out this would never be a issue.In my case with the standard throwaway shocks I had the springs set to stiffest setting to stop bottoming but then the rebound was terrible.There is a good possibility that if guys just replace the link something else will break.I took the route of upgrading the shocks to Custom Axis and the link.Hopefully that does the trick.Ran out of snow before I could try it out with new shocks.

Well, it's not from jumping. Late last winter Barnstormer came over and we had a nice little ride as the trails were deteriorating fast...I rode it for a while and pounded it pretty good, and after he got home and went for another short ride, it popped. No rhyme or reason, it just popped. The apex and Vector have had no issues. Looks like it wasn't welded all the way around for starters.

Weird how it doesn't seem to break on the the standard and the GT.

Does anyone know if the '08 billet part is a bolt on replacement with the existing hardware?

Thanks!

For all this talk, there certainly hasn't been many pictures showing all these breaks if any!!!!!! If this is such a problem then show us!
I have well over 1100kms on my 07 mountain lite and have yet to have any problem what so ever. Best sled I have ever ridden, not the most powerful, but nicest to ride. I ride my sled like my women Hard & Wet! so I am somewhat questioning this issue as I have double checked everything on the sled and all is well! maybe just the sleds out East??

Well Yamaha decided it was enough of a issue to put them in all the 08's.I picked mine up yesterday.Came in two days.Looking at it and being a machinist I think its worth the price.I have a few other projects next few weeks but when I install this I will take some pics of old link and the new one for comparison.Didnt cross check the actual bolts though.Will soon find out.

Attachments

• Billet linkage pic 002.jpg
    Billet linkage pic 002.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 74
  • Billet linkage pic 003.jpg
    Billet linkage pic 003.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 68
So you recieved it in 2 days, I ordered mine in April and havent seen it yet! :o|

I tried back then also but there wasnt a part# since it wasnt a production part.You wont have a problem now.

Dealer had the part# back in april. Checked the order last week, Backordered!

If you want it bad I could order you one from my dealer or try some of the sponsors.Not sure what shipping to Sweden is going to cost though.

Im getting the link on warranty, so i dont want to spend any money on it. But thanks for the offer! ;)! :rocks:

Back