• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone with a warm start problem

kehodder

OK....as a newbie here I did the search and don`t see anyone with a similar problem.
The issue....08 MTX will not start when warm unless throttle is depressed slightly while turning the key. Anyone else experience this issue

btw....cold starts are perfect just turn the key

My gt is like that . I find I have to hold the key for a bit after it fires ,or it will not stay running . also ,if I leave it idle for any length of time ,I need to really feather the throttle when I first take off
Cold starts are fine ,even down to -35

altpeet said:
My gt is like that . I find I have to hold the key for a bit after it fires ,or it will not stay running . also ,if I leave it idle for any length of time ,I need to really feather the throttle when I first take off
Cold starts are fine ,even down to -35

Mine too, just hold the key. Or if your rope starting, have someone hold the throttle open just a hair.

Isthatahemi said:
Mine too, just hold the key. Or if your rope starting, have someone hold the throttle open just a hair.

Ha ha ha that's funny! If he has a 08 he'll have to wait to run up a few more miles first before that has to happen though. Lucky for me I had only shut mine off for like twenty minutes and it was still worm yet so it was still easy to start with the rope around the clutch.

kehodder said:
OK....as a newbie here I did the search and don`t see anyone with a similar problem.
The issue....08 MTX will not start when warm unless throttle is depressed slightly while turning the key. Anyone else experience this issue

There is a fix out....dealer drilled teeny holes in the throttle body valves? to add a little more air when starting....warm starts are much better now.

kehodder said:
kehodder said:

There is a fix out....dealer drilled teeny holes in the throttle body valves? to add a little more air when starting....warm starts are much better now.

that's the fix?

Must be Idle Air Control Valve mod?Was a post about if it was adjustable a while back.I looked at it and its not adjustable like a Raptors only idle speed can be adjusted.

The dealer explained the "fix" as drilling the throttle body (valve or butterfly) in order to allow more oxygen during warm starts (before it would just fire and stall). I made a little video of the issue which was forwarded to Yamaha...Yamaha was apparently involved with the drill (1/16" I think) solution.

Anyway starts much better when warm now.

That doesnt seem right.What is your idle at after mod?I would think if it needed more air Yamaha would just lean it out in area needed with mapping ECU.

cannondale27 said:
That doesnt seem right.What is your idle at after mod?I would think if it needed more air Yamaha would just lean it out in area needed with mapping ECU.

Leaning it out via fuel mapping, would just mean less fuel, not more air ;)!

Same thing.Or should I say it was running rich?Drilling a hole in throttle plate would affect all ranges somewhat.Probably not a issue.Just odd since with fuel injection there is so much adjustability so easy.

Back