• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex better cornering?

ROCKERDAN said:
REx....

Ive run mine at 65lbs and nearly flipped it onto its side..LOL,i could barely ride it in these muskoka twistys without massive skilift....went down to 45 same trail,HUGE difference....like a different sled really....

then i ran it down at 25lbs....where is was below level,and WOW,it was litterally like a gokart,slotcar....so i keep it at about 35-40 generally,for overal trails..ive pounded thru some rough stuff,and have never bottomed,they compress down and get real stiff.

I was abit miffed about these shocks from the get go....so i actually got a tech to talk to from fox.....the person i spoke to,told me the floats dont change stiffness untill you get them way up over 60 or so lbs...there is no bump stop at bottom,but the airbag just compresses and wont allow it to bottom(unless you are really low).

they are about the trickest shocks ive ever had,before....i just love them.

its amazing how every inch or so of height makes HUGE differences in handling....

im sure alot depends on trails you ride on...but i dont know anyone who runs them over 40 and likes them,everytime i see apexs on the trail with A arms sitting tall,i ask them if it ski lifts,and always get same answer,its horrible....i then proceed to set them up Level,and they all come back smiling....

But im sure to each his own here,maybe your riding style is different or you ride huge moguls that need more travel?

Dan

I do agree with you that lower handles better, making it so you don't have to lean anywhere near as much. I just find with the trails around here that I need more suspension travel than anything less than 60psi provides.

I have to admit some of the trails around here are very rough. I was on some local trails a couple of days ago that haven't been groomed this season yet. The moguls were between 12" and about 24" (worst trails I've seen in years). We've had plenty of snow but the clubs say that the swamps are not frozen yet so thay can't groom. We spent several hours thrashing our sleds, hoping to find some groomed trails. The only smooth trail was the railwaybed and we finally got to take a break.

When I increase the pressure from 60 to 75, I don't really notice any increase in tippyness, but I do find the front more solid feeling and more in-line with the re-valved rear shocks.

Every now and then when I'm on smooth trails I've dropped the pressure down into the 40psi range and the ability to corner without leaning takes me back to 15+ year old sled sensation (along with the reduced suspension travel too...).

<<<Every now and then when I'm on smooth trails I've dropped the pressure down into the 40psi range and the ability to corner without leaning takes me back to 15+ year old sled sensation>>>

Don't they call that "railing"? ;^)

I run low too (40-45) but like Rex like to see if the grass may be greener elsewhere on occasion. I had mine at 60psi for a while this weekend, and loved the way the sled settled when coming down off the top of a bump or mogul I had lifted the front end over. Lots of CUSSHHH! But man o man, that's a harsh ride the rest of the time. Wasn't running all that hard, so didn't notice much difference regarding inside ski lift. I just don't like all the extra feed back coming up through the bars. Just me.

Ok I am going to run a 12mm sway bar, one notch tighter limiter strap and 55psi front shocks. I weight 165 lbs should I run 19 clicks on the dampening? Spring preload block set to soft and the sus. preload loosened all the way? If not what should I be dooing for my weight? Also, where should I be setting the weight transfer?

I think REX rides alot more aggressive then most people..

These sleds will only handle soo good.. Never as good as the old Srx's and vipers.. They are what they are.. They have a high center of gravity and are heavy, so of coarse they will want to roll in corners or push..

shocks

It's taken me a whole year to be able to run with a rev in the twisties, but I cna run with them and pass them now on occasion without damage to my sled or there's. LOL
I run the pilot 5.7's 6 inch shapers, 4 in. outers with 45 psi in front shocks and rear set to 3rd clip with setting at hardest rebound and my sled rails the corners! I bite so hard that I feel like a slot car on hardpack. So the heavy Apex can do it!

I have an 07 nytro with the same ski lift problem. I dropped my floats pressure to 45 psi but found the front to sit really low and the rear very high (kinda like the old 2 wheel drive chevy trucks). My limiter is pulled up one hole and I have the transfer rods at min transfer. Are you guys some how dropping the rear on your sleds as well (if possible) or just dropping the front?

rik said:
I have an 07 nytro with the same ski lift problem. I dropped my floats pressure to 45 psi but found the front to sit really low and the rear very high (kinda like the old 2 wheel drive chevy trucks). My limiter is pulled up one hole and I have the transfer rods at min transfer. Are you guys some how dropping the rear on your sleds as well (if possible) or just dropping the front?

They look like that sitting there unloaded, but if your sag/sit in is set for your weight correctly it shouldn't ride like that?

Um, "transfer rods at minimum" that would have the nuts set to minimize transfer/all the way up? If so, you're coupling almost immediately in the suspension travel. That might cause the sled to ride very high - no matter where your torsion spring adjusters are set. Just me, but I'd have the nuts down as low as possible (without ratcheting) to use as much of the available suspension travel as often as possible.

MY GT steered real heavy with the USI Project X skis until I installed the power steering plates. Also, I only got a limited amount of miles on the pipe ski saver wing setup but I am a believer and would suggest that mod even before the power steering plates. I think part of the problem is your control rod might be set too far to max - increasing ski lift. Do you have the measuring tool for the control rod?

yves F 7 said:
Hey guys,how do you lower the front like all of you whit the GT shocks?just unscrew the springs?

Yes, all you need to do is raise the front of the sled off the ground and loosen the springs untill they rattle, then tighten one turn. I measured my spring lenght on each side just to make sure they were the same.

Thewhitedogg said:
yves F 7 said:
Hey guys,how do you lower the front like all of you whit the GT shocks?just unscrew the springs?

Yes, all you need to do is raise the front of the sled off the ground and loosen the springs untill they rattle, then tighten one turn. I measured my spring lenght on each side just to make sure they were the same.

I did this, still can't seem to get the a-arms as flat as some I have seen in this thread with the Fox Floats...

welterracer said:
I think REX rides alot more aggressive then most people..

I'm definitely well within the aggressive crowd, but I'm far from the most aggressive out there when it comes to bumps and jumps.

My biggest "thing" that pushes me to higher riding sleds is I absolutely refuse to bottom out my suspension on a regular basis. As long as my sled is stable enough that with me leaning as far to the inside as I can, without accelerating or braking on hard packed trails, that I can put the machine into a slide at the limit of traction, without feeling like it wants to roll, then I am happy enough. If my sled keeps trying to roll when cornering at the limit of traction, then I'll lower it or reduce the center spring preload or tighten the limiter.

At 40 years old, with many years of farm work and many years of riding sleds with poor suspensions, my back really doesn't like me riding a machine that bottoms out.

welterracer said:
These sleds will only handle soo good.. Never as good as the old Srx's and vipers.. They are what they are.. They have a high center of gravity and are heavy, so of coarse they will want to roll in corners or push..

As far as I'm concerned ride height and suspension travel are the only things driving these sleds to be more tippy than the old 2-stroke Yamahas. I'm fairly sure if we were to drop our Apex's right down as low as they'd go that they would corner as flat and as well as an old SRX or Viper. They'd ride like one too though.

So if flat cornering is what anyone really wants above everything else and suspension travel doesn't matter, then drop the air pressure down into the sub-30 psi range, lower the monoshock preload (and/or cut the spring), punch a new, much tighter hole in the limiter strap and go for a ride. I'm fairly sure all of us would absolutely hate the ride.

Its more work to ride a sled with lots of suspension travel that sits taller, but as long as your willing to really lean, modern sleds can and do corner well.

Back