• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex Donut Elimination Mod

sideshowBob

Lifetime Member
Just finished replacing my Attaks exhaust donuts with the flex pipe system. Pretty simple to do but is a bit labor intensive....worst part was cutting my exhaust header flanges off as there is no going back from there.

Donut1.png
Donut3.png
Donut4.png

Nice job. I hope it solves the long running issue of donut wear. Are those the factory stainless headpipes or an aftermarket version?
I remember seeing a vid about those sometime back. I think you may be the first on here to actually do the conversion.

Nice job. I hope it solves the long running issue of donut wear. Are those the factory stainless headpipes or an aftermarket version?
I remember seeing a vid about those sometime back. I think you may be the first on here to actually do the conversion.

The header pipes are aftermarket Excell SS

looks good! kirkswim is doing sappling killers rx mod that way when he starts putting it together as he does not know if he has 4 good flex pipes as one of the 2 sleds was total crap on the exh system.

The header pipes are aftermarket Excell SS
Bob I have those same header pipes from Excell on my 06. Did you do the mod strictly to eliminate the donuts or were you having header pipe flange issues as well.
I replaced my donuts with the aftermarket copper ones a year or so ago, and so far so good. Of course I don't get as much riding time as I would like so I'm not putting a ton of miles on that would cause them to wear a lot.

Bob I have those same header pipes from Excell on my 06. Did you do the mod strictly to eliminate the donuts or were you having header pipe flange issues as well.
I replaced my donuts with the aftermarket copper ones a year or so ago, and so far so good. Of course I don't get as much riding time as I would like so I'm not putting a ton of miles on that would cause them to wear a lot.

I put the copper donuts in when I first installed the headers a few years ago. After a few thousand miles I never had any obvious issues but I was always suspect of the headers sealing completely to the flex joints even with the copper donuts.
When I first saw this alternative joint I was interested right away as there is no possibility of the exhaust leaking at the joints.
I had the sled apart to change the track and other maintenance so it was the perfect time to install the new flex joints.

Those look amazing !! That's what should have been done from the factory ! I don't believe I've seen anyone on here do that mod before , I saw a YouTube video of them at a snowshow , Deffinitly a solid fix to the problem !! Good job

worst part was cutting my exhaust header flanges off as there is no going back from there.
Do you have to remove and replace the entire exhaust flange that bolts to the head, or just cut off the existing bellows and slide the braided assembly on the stub pipe?

You cut the bellows off of the flange and slide the replacement over the stub....then you cut the flare off your header and slide the replacement inside the header pipe.

I bought a set of these from a fellow in Ontario that had them listed on kijiji. A customer had an 11 apex here. In the end I got them to work, but I would never attempt this repair again. The diameters were incorrect, I spent many hours grinding and cutting to get them to fit, and then the band clamps needed to be right where the pipes pass through the cast body part. Very frustrating. First and last one. Unfortunately, the next guy that asks me to fix his header pipe will need to but the expensive stock piece.

Back