• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

APEX LYX GT - handling/cornering

bwilly

Veteran
OK, so I have 5 days and 600 mile on my '09 ltx gt. Awesome, BUT, this is what I'm experiencing compared to my old POO 800 XC. That sled had bite, and I know this one will too.
Packed trail, 2-4" loose snow on top, average NY bumps in turns. Pushes bad when off and also when on the throttle. But when I shift my weight forward I get nasty inside ski lift (BTY no darting at all), feels like sled wants to roll over. Also when slowing into the corner with bumps the sled bucks like a bull, hard to hold on to. I'm 6'3" and ride way back on the machine. The only adjustment made so far was set-in on rear spring. Don't really want to start throwing parts (like sway bar, etc.) until making several adjustments. But whatever it will take to make this machine happy.

Compared to your Poo 800, it will be a bit of a learning curve for you. In the end, you will probably get used to it as I did when I switched from my Poo SKS. First, the stock skis and carbides suck. You will need to add a bit more carbide or as many of us have, change to better skis. I changed mine right away to Slydog Powderhounds. Wider skis float the front end quite a bit better off trail. I also went to 8" of carbide and added studs. If you are going to go unstudded, 6" of carbide may work ok for you.
Next, try pulling up your limiter strap one hole(shortening the strap.) This will put more weight on the skis. Also run the front shocks with as little preload as you can. Don't turn the adjusters completely loose, but to the point they are just slightly compressing the spring with the skis off the ground. This will help with the inside ski lift some. In the end I still added the heavier sway bar.

Lastly, I had gotten lazy on the SKS. It was pretty much point and shoot without moving on the seat. When I tried that on the Yamaha, I could never get it to go where I wanted, especially up the side of a ditch. You need to throw your weight into the turn and lean into it. The more you lean, the better it will handle as well as help keep the inside ski down.
Hope this helps.

Thanks, I did not mention , I have 104 studs and woody dualies right now. I am also gonna work with transfer rod. One q though, does transfer rod only effect accel or does it effect decel also?

Doesn't affect deceleration. It performs about the same thing as the limiter blocks did on your Poo with more adjustability. The longer it is, the more weight transfer you get to put weight on the track for hookup. But you also get more ski lift, to the point of wheelieing. Fun, but sucks in the turns. Also don't help with headlight aiming if you run at night like I usually do. I run mine just slightly longer than stock position most of the time. I think 1 1/2 or 2 notches on the adjuster scale.
From most reports I have read, the duelies help the darting, but also lend to pushing in the corners. I have never ran them so can't say from experience.

Stock skis are fine once set-up correctly, use DEUCE BARS from STUD BOY and shim ski saddle 3/16" on back part under rubber and it eliminates all of darting, Pilots aren't that much better for darting and tend to PUSH in corners more than YAM OEM skis...

His problem with stock skis isn't the darting, it is the pushing. In reading your original post again, I think more of the problem is being aggravated by the riding style (sitting way back on the seat). Sounds like exact problems I had when first switching from my Poo and rode the same way.

I had good results by tightening my limiter strap 1 set of holes, Stud boy 6" Dueces, and 3-4 revolutions tighter on my front springs ( they were only 2 revs tighter than having the spring rattle while unloaded from factory).

I very rarely experience inside ski lift since the adjustments, it used to have tons of inside lift, but there was obviously not much ski pressure from the dealership.
It does not seem to push through turns very much anymore
No darting, tracks straighter than any other sled Ive ridden.

These worked out for me, YMMV.

Shootinstick said:
I think more of the problem is being aggravated by the riding style (sitting way back on the seat)

I'm 6'2" and like sitting back when cruising but when I start driving AGGRESSIVE I move right up to the gas tank and knees in the dash and makes a world of difference...keeps her planted and you can pivot the sled a lot easier threw the corners, 1 thing that really helped me is my ROX 2" riser, I can lean into my bars a lot easier to steer and move sled around...

2" is the max you can go without extending your cables and wires. You can pick up a apex mountain riser which will give you that extra 2" for about $50 in the classifieds section.

I have one on my attak, and really like it.. I'm 6'1"

Anyone have a link where i can find 2" risers in Canada for my apex? Cant seem to find them anywhere. Saskatchewan preferbly.

Thanks alot. Slapping myself for not thinking about royal distributing.

I thnk that I have finally have figured out the setup on my 09 LTX GT which might be of help to you. I am 6'4. My sled came with 6" cobra carbides and 108 1.325" woody's down the middle. I installed the 7.1 rear spring, shimmed skis with 1/4" rubber shims, set weight transfer halfway between standard and minimum and went 2 revolutions/threads tighter than the stock setting on the front springs. The front spring adjustment was the last and really flattended the handling of the front end. Before the front spring adjustment the front end was really tippy, especially at slow speeds and would want to roll over.

Back