• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex oil leak

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Yamaha Apex
Just new to this site and have a problem. 2008 Apex has sprung an oil leak on the primary side. Belt is getting oil on it and squeeling. Seems to be worse the higher the rpm. If I keep her under 70 mph it seem to be okay. Took off the air box, had a bit of residue inside and the drain hole was plugged up a bit as the hose was kinked. All other hoses were in tack and secured. Oil level was good when I checked it warm. I did tap a tree on a previous run but not enough to even mark the A arm. I'm thinking crank seal or bearing maybe? Any ideas on how to check?

I was going to suggest you inspect your oil lines/hoses for cracks, etc... How about the oil filler cap on the valve cover?

I was going to suggest you inspect your oil lines/hoses for cracks, etc... How about the oil filler cap on the valve cover?
All hoses appear good and valve cap as well. No oil under the air box, motor is clean there. Only on the primary side. I removed the primary, cleaned everything up and ran it with clutch off. No sign of leak. Put her back together, removed some oil from resivoir so it was 3/4 full and went for a rip. 80 mph and down everything seemes good. Over 100 mph and I got a fine oil mist again.

You could put a dye in the oil and check it with a block light to see where its coming from. Are you sure its oil?[/QUOT

Yes it is definately oil. Pulled the crank cover and main shaft last night. Bearing around shaft seems slightly loose, going to change it, install new gasket and see what happens. Fingers crossed.

Something to look for is a displaced valve cover gasket seal. Semi-circular lobe of the gasket in the end of the motor facing primary. Had it happen on a buds sled this week, wicked cold morning, pressure build up in the valve cover dislodged this part of the seal open like a door allowing oil to leak out and spray cover the clutches and belt.
Pushed lobe back into place and did not happen again after sled warmed up.
Check PCV valve for function and possible freeze up, if blocked/restricted pressure can build up in the valve cover chamber.

Something to look for is a displaced valve cover gasket seal. Semi-circular lobe of the gasket in the end of the motor facing primary. Had it happen on a buds sled this week, wicked cold morning, pressure build up in the valve cover dislodged this part of the seal open like a door allowing oil to leak out and spray cover the clutches and belt.
Pushed lobe back into place and did not happen again after sled warmed up.
Check PCV valve for function and possible freeze up, if blocked/restricted pressure can build up in the valve cover chamber.
Interesting......................will check that. thanks.

Back