• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex or Attack

snomonut said:
Doesn't anyone have a problem with a FIRST TIME SLEDDER buying a 150 HP rocket??!! :ORC

Just my opinion....

My wife hopped on an RX-1 for her first sled. Of course she rides motorcycle in the summer with me but if someones reasonably coordinated and has a healthy dose of common sense there should be no problem.

That said there are people I wouldn't trust to wheel around a lemonade stand let alone a car or snowmobile.

Yamahnator said:
snomonut said:
Doesn't anyone have a problem with a FIRST TIME SLEDDER buying a 150 HP rocket??!! :ORC

Just my opinion....
That said there are people I wouldn't trust to wheel around a lemonade stand let alone a car or snowmobile.
LOL, This is so true.......... :mrgreen:

Hey guys, thanks for the replys so far. In regards to me buying a 150hp sled as my 1st... I have ridden snow mobiles before when I lived in Michigan 5 years ago... just never owned them. I also own Jetskis and one is a Sea-Doo RXP with a Stage 2 kit that hits 75mph... you can do dumb stuff on it and kill yourself just like you could do the same on a snowmobile. You just have to use common sense.

The more I read the more I think I will go with the Apex GT and if I find myself not liking the ride comfort I can always put a bigger track on and then it would be like the Attack but with the nicer shocks.

Another nice thing is my dealer is going to take 1k off the sticker of the Apex GT just becasue they have it in stock sitting on the floor.

I am also getting an RS Venture for the wife/kids, seems very nice and comfy.

Thanks everyone for your input.

mnmsnowbeast said:
I dont know if this will help any,but when john of garys invited me to test both apex/attak last april we took the 6hr drive up and was thrilled to do back to back comparos with the attak/apex---- to the rx1/warrior wow is all i can say,now the warrior/rx1 both 05s are haed and shoulders ahead of my 03 rx1 but now the attak/apex is head and shoulders above them sort of in the same way. Testing both attak and apex side by side comparisions showed to me on this day,under these conditions that they both had identical top speeds,at least all the top end that they could muster on this day,and it was 40+ raining out with very wet heavy snow,some packed some loose down a tote road of about 1/2 mile long all they could do was 110 speedo,and yes i was a little dissapointed,my gps was reading 97mph so still 13 mph off,now taking into consideration the week before we had the same 05 rage out on the rr bed doing 109 speedo and on this day on same road only 93 speedo, conditions mean everything,and these both attak/apex had woody dule runners on and heavy ski pressure set up,acording to john,cause the jap rep did not want anyone to not be able to steer and go off trail and cause injuries or damage to the protos,ok now what steered me in the attak direction,after i had the GT on order,same top speed,handling was sharper on attak and ride was better,plus wind protection,and the advantage to sneek off trail,hope this helps. :tg:
Go with an ATTACK! Dont forget better breaking too with more track on the ground and quicker out of the corners! Next year I'm going with an attack but also keeping my Rage! :D

so would putting a 136 inch track on the GT make it like the Attack but with better suspension?

ahamade said:
so would putting a 136 inch track on the GT make it like the Attack but with better suspension?

not by putting rail extensions on it
but u can get the GT shock for an Attak
it is already wired for it and everything

I am kinda confused as to what you mean by rail extensions... those are required to put the longer track on? And are you saying they dont have rail extensions for the 136 inch track for the Apex GT.

Also how about the front suspension, is it the same kind on both snowmobiles? I saw on Yamaha's website that the Apex GT has compression and rebound adjustment, does the Attack have that? And if not can it be added easily and cheaply?

Thanks again everyone for all the input... I want to make sure I make an informed decsion when I go back to the dealer to pickup the skis after thanksgiving.

The 136 mono shock attak skid frame is very differant from the 121 mono shock apex skid. I don't think that puting rail extensions on the 121 apex skid will work. You will need to get the 136 skid AND track for your apex gt. This will get very $$$$. I am not positive on this but pretty sure.

I see these guys are starting to confuse you. DO NOT GET THE GT IF YOU WISH TO MAKE IT LONGER! Being new to the sport your lack of experience could ruin any fun you should have riding and not tinkering. Also I do not believe it is cheaper to buy an Apex and stretch it. You should buy what you want first and just ride it. See what you like and dont like before you go making any changes. If you are on the fence about which to get maybe you could try renting a couple of different models and decide from there.

As far as the advantages of the 136", my dealer told me that 40% of all new sleds he sells are 136" so i think many people are noticing the difference and are starting to prefer the 136". There are more advantages than disadvantages.

I agree with Dave583,
I switched to a 136 a couple years ago and I'll never go back. I do a fair amount of off trail but even if I didn't I may still go for a 136. It smooths out the whoops better and I can't even feel the extra 15 inches back there. If your sled is set up correctly you can run the corners with any 121. The grip of that bigger footprint is alot of fun also. I think the biggest mistake people make with new sleds is not educating themselfs. You need to learn to make adjustments in your setup and at the same time learn proper riding technics. Our season is so short sometimes and our opportunity to ride is so seldom that nobody wants to take the time to set things up properly. I was guilty of that myself for many years. The whole riding experience is much better and safer if you take the time.
The factory equipment on most sleds these days is exellent. Many people waste a lot of money on aftermarket stuff that does very little if any good, just because they read a post or somebody told them to buy something.
Whatever you end up buying, spend some time with it and try to ride a few other sleds before modifying.
Sorry to ramble.
Good luck,
Chris

Back