• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex SMILE again

yamadoo

Yamadoo is a snowmobile ' aholic'.
Country
USA
Snowmobile
15 Viper STX DX red/white- GPS and KING AIR suspension 4kmiles
13 Apex XTX 45 anniversary RED/WHITE/BLACK 3K miles
10 Vector LTX Blue 9kmiles
11 Venture GT 4k miles
86 SnoScoot(2) for grand kids
I have an XTX 13 with 5,000 miles truly stock, never even checked the EXUP but feels ‘good’ to me.
Any way two friends out riding with me, one on his 800 XCSP -he is known for getting to ‘run’ strong -and the other on my Apex. Anyway they do an impromptu rolling start run across the lake and the APEX was walking away . I was on my Venture GT just watching and SMILING
I hope the APEX faithful will get a smile from that strory. YAMADOO

I waxed a 850 Doo on my '11 Apex XTX up by Bruce Crossing a couple weeks ago. He pulled out in front of our group where there are about 5 stop signs. I stayed right beside him for the first few and then decided to let 'er eat! Came to where we had to turn south and we both stopped. It was dark and he thought I was on "one of those damn winders". I simply said "nope, that's a 9 year old Apex"

I waxed a 850 Doo on my '11 Apex XTX up by Bruce Crossing a couple weeks ago. He pulled out in front of our group where there are about 5 stop signs. I stayed right beside him for the first few and then decided to let 'er eat! Came to where we had to turn south and we both stopped. It was dark and he thought I was on "one of those damn winders". I simply said "nope, that's a 9 year old Apex"

Now that is funny I bet he is complaining to his dealer and not happy with the $ he spent and the hype he read.

My buddy bought an 900 Ace turbo and he was sure he would be able to keep up with me, not even close. we both hit it and i just kept pulling away from him. not bad for a 9 year old sled with 15000 miles. he double checked to make sure he was in sport mode when we stopped and he was.

Properly tuned an Ape is still a force to reckon with out there. About the only thing that’s going to go by you is a Winder/T-Cat or something with an aftermarket boost kit. Good times over a decade later. Lol

always puts a smile on my face espeically when i hoist the skis going through the mouguls past the guys that cannot even do the speed limit in them.

Apex is definitely a legend, gave me many years and 1000’s of Km’s of trouble free smiles, just wish Yamaha would of made the apex with a better seating position, even though I loved my Apex’s since 2007 it was just to much for my bad knee.
This year being on a sidewinder I feel like I haven’t sledded at the end of a 300km day, no regrets on the apex just so much better on the winder for me..

Apex is definitely a legend, gave me many years and 1000’s of Km’s of trouble free smiles, just wish Yamaha would of made the apex with a better seating position, even though I loved my Apex’s since 2007 it was just to much for my bad knee.
This year being on a sidewinder I feel like I haven’t sledded at the end of a 300km day, no regrets on the apex just so much better on the winder for me..

Just the opposite for me, 80 miles on my Sidewinder and I'm beat, Arms,knees and back are so sore that I cant ride the next day with out some pain killers, Ride my Apex 150 and still want more, no pain and feel great the next day. Apex puts a big smile on me.

Having both SW and my custom apex. I can say the apex is more comfortable for mildly aggressive trail riding. My BTX is a handful, however I have not had the engine running enough to not ruin 3 trips so zero work on suspension aside from Bill Mohr front skid shock spring. Corner weighing the apex vs SW, the apex is lighter on the front end, also more balanced left to right.

In my weight balance experiments I'm now thinking the opposite of a pro-rider forward industry and that going rider forward puts too much pressure on the skis and wears a guy out especially with a turbo 4 stroke all in the nose. Apex mid mount turbo kits are perfectly balanced and gave me ~140lbs of ski weight vs the stock sidewinder was over 190lbs. The apex was so playful by comparison. I could ride it for hundreds of miles no issues. The BTX (understand its more of a handful then a shorter track SW) really is more work to ride. I did have to brake in almost every turn to get it to bite but I didn't mind replacing brake pads. Others may not like that. It honestly felt near similar to the new 20.5 Doo xrs I rode. I wouldn't say the Doo is easier to ride then my custom tuned apex. The doo just needed NO adjustment to be great out of the box, vs my apex needed a complete redesign lol. I will keep experimenting with balance and see where it takes me. I'm not advocating anything yet other then having a gas tank and seat that gets fuel below and behind the rider makes the apex more fun! Ride on boys!

I guess I’m the odd ball on here lol..

Since 2007 and being 6’ tall I just couldn’t take my knees higher then my hips, consecutive days on saddle bags trip is where I felt the need to move to the winder..

I loved my 07 apex gt from the day I picked it up from the dealer, I loved my 2011 apex and now I love my new to me sidewinder ltx gt.

Main thing is we are having fun doing something we love to do..

I had a buddy that has a new doo doo 900 T with the 195 hp chip and I pull him with my old 2010 Apex LTX with almost 17000 miles on her. I was smiling and he was not ! LOL I also have bad knees and even though I added 2 in of foam to the seat and run MTX handle bars( Much improved) I still am more comfortable on the Viper for long rides. I will keep my apex for those lake running days !

Attachments

• 82218345_10215353907072929_8577543645710778368_n (2).jpg
    82218345_10215353907072929_8577543645710778368_n (2).jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 106
Yes, like Red Beard a puts in his post on the APex M20 a lot to like in these old girls. Like you I am more comfortable on my VIper. Big decision when going on a trip or even just a ride is which sled to take.....this is a real 1st world problem. LOL
Viper more comfort, Apex more speed Deciding factors are often if high speed trail with lake running =>Apex if rough, mid or low speed or COLD then =>Viper.

Back