• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex Supercharger belt life

shawnmcgr

Pro
I just blew my first belt (the belt down by the oil tank connecting crank to charger). It went @ 1400kms. Just wondering if that is normal? How many kms are guys getting out of the this belt and the small inner belt?

Thanks,

Shawn

Wow never heard of these failing. I replace mine every two-three years no matter the miliage but I'm gathering a pile of used ones now! How was it when it failed you just stopped making boost and go pig rich? Its not a easy belt to change out on the trail I'm sure.

kinger said:
Wow never heard of these failing. I replace mine every two-three years no matter the miliage but I'm gathering a pile of used ones now! How was it when it failed you just stopped making boost and go pig rich? Its not a easy belt to change out on the trail I'm sure.

I was trail riding with my kids so was just idling along but the throttle seemed soft and I looked down and no boost - my boost gauge does freeze up now and then. Also heard a whine. I stopped and popped the right side shroud and the belt was there and everything looked good. Turned the engine over and the belt didn't move. Grabbed the belt and no cogs on the inside.

I just cut it off and put putted out back to the truck (30kph or less). Air seemed to flow easy enough through the charger without spinning it.

But I went to install my spare belt back home and it's the wrong belt, way too long! Must be a Nytro belt...MPI keeps sending me Nytro parts.

It's likely my habit of being on and off the throttle a lot while tree riding/boondocking that is going to stress this belt. Smooth throttle on the trail will likely result in a lot better belt life.

Just curious what other are seeing.

I haven't blown the main belt but I have blown the secondary belt under the intercooler. It went after 800 miles because I wasn't aware that the tension is adjustable on this one. Found that out when I called MPI to find out how to get the new belt on. For those that are in the dark like I was; the belt adjusts by loosening the allen head cap screws on the blower and then using something to pry on it and hold while re-tightening them.

Jim

I just went through this myself.......the big thing is keeping the belt tight......when I first put my kit on popped the main belt in 2 660' pulls due to it not being tight enough. These belts have to be tight, inside and out......one skip of the belt and the cogs rip right off.

Thanks guys, I think I had the belt tension right. I'll triple check as I install the next one. Ya, I didn't know the belt tension was adjustable on the small belt either, good to know.

I'm putting on about 1200kms a season so I guess I should change out the large belt every season. What about the small belt? How long is that thing lasting? Forever? It would not have mis-alignment to deal with so I would think it would last longer?

You will also blow belts every few hundred feet if the bearing in the idler is going bad - tight on those belts. Derek

I've gone through several. Bypass valve helps a lot.
Proper tension seems to be the key.
I have lost one that I believe was due to the tension being too tight. I'm going to check my idler bearing per Derek's post...

yamafreak said:
i'm starting to think a turbo may be better. you would think these belts should last a while

they do, nearly 4000 miles, never a belt problem ;)!

470186903_e2PGC-L.jpg

. :flag:

Back