• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex Transfer Rod Maintenance/Question

peppelepugh

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Apex ER
Hi all, I've been searching around a bit and can't seem to find any information rebuilding the transfer rod (specific part numbers). I've got an 06 Apex ER I've gone over all summer (couldn't have done it without everyone at TY over the years!!!) and last thing to tackle is the Transfer Rod. I'm sure it hasn't ever seen much maintenance... Question is, what all needs to be replaced on a rebuild? I'm looking at the Dust Seal where the rod goes in (Part # 61 C68-43822-00-00 on exploded diagram). Part #60 93210-347A6-00 o-ring. And 2 new spacers Part # 59 8Fu-47466-00-00. My quest is though, what sort of lube should I use on the o-ring?

Currently it's quite loose, like... it moves freely and "slaps" around so to speak.

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

The transfer rod basically is a stopper more or less, and yes it does slap, there is really not that much too it otherwise. Sometimes you can hear it clunking when crawling through a whooped out trail or stutter bumps. I have never serviced one in thousands of miles, they are fairly robust unless damaged. If you are inclined to service it, I would think the dust seal and o-ring would be the obvious choices, as far as what lube, would use a low temp grease in that application. See if the spacers are hammered and replace if you think necessary. If the needle bearings in the mounts are still in tact, apply low temp grease in there too.

Simple enough!!!! I appreciate the help. I know at first before I did any research I was under the impression that "oh great, this thing clunky thing is SHOT!" What a relief!

Back