• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex won't crank and no fuel pump

Had issue with my sled this past weekend. Intermittent no start, code 43 and code 81 when it did run. Quick search on this forum lead me to this thread. Found the ground plug with all the black wires near primary clutch was totally fried! Thanks for the great info, I'm back in action.

Thanks so much for this thread duste. Would have taken forever to sort this out!!

Great thread! unfortunately I had this problem last year, and because of the situation I was in had to take it to the dealer. Over $1000 (ouch!) they never did find the problem, but after hours of troubleshooting they happened to have a wrecked sled (donor) available and replaced the entire wiring harness. I was in there last week for the first time since I had the problem and asked him for the old harness, he still had it cause he was going to go through it business slowed down, well he never got around to it, just now found time myself today to look at, found it in about 15 mins, one of the wires in the 6 black wire ground was burnt. as so many have said before probably never would have found it without this thread. Thanks Again!

Seem to be having a similar issue. 06 Attack. Headlights shut off last year and couldn't find the issue. We put on a ground wire and got the headlights working. Only one ride so far this crappy winter and had the no start issue. Sled was running fine. Stopped for a break and then it wouldn't fire. No codes, turned over fine but fuel pump not circulating properly. Towed it out and tried to start again and it went. Rode some more and it died peoducing the same situation. Did this 3 or 4 times before i ride it home with no issues. Electrical gremlins are a pain. Will have to check again before the snow hopefully arrives.

You're on the right track check out the pics earlier in this post, I'm pretty sure you will find a burnt ground wire.

With all this talk of burned grounds and connections, is this just a bad design with all the ground wires tying together to a single ground with no redundancy.
Is anyone electrically savvy to know if it would be wise to run additional ground wires to ground or frame from some of these connection points so that a single corroded ground does kill the whole sled?

Cut the grounding block out and solder all the wires together and the possibility of a faulty grounding block will be gone.

Ground Block

Thanks for the post. I have a 2006 apex gt and after a 40 mile lake ride it stalled on me while i was getting the ramp on the trailer ready. I got no codes on the display and when i turned the key my high beam indicator would light up. Got it started a few minutes later and the next day after fooling around with the wires around the battery it seemed to run fine. Went for a short ride the day after and this time it stalled on me while i was going about 40 miles an hour and showed code 81 on the dash. Went to turn the key again and the blue high beam light would come on the relay clicked but no power to the fuel pump. The white ground block by the primary clutch was scorched. Soldered the wires together and changed the 10 amp fuse for the fuel pump relay and all is good again.

This is exactly what happened to my 2007 Attakgt yesterday, I have no fuel pump spool up or starter engagement. Blue high beam light on and red cold start up on. No codes on the display. I'll check that block by the clutch, what 10 Amp fuse did you check?

Hi Everyone,

I know this post is older but I ran into this same issue out on the trails 2 weeks ago and was stumped...luckily my father pulled me home (32 miles) on a Vector so Yamaha Power still wins! Also he pulled us 45-50 across the lakes which I thought was impressive pulling a fat and heavy Apex with a 3 banger...

Either way, I was retired to the idea I had to bring it to the dealer as I had no idea what to look for, change, fix, etc... I'm hoping this saves me a ton of money and time! I love this site and was lucky to not have had to use it for a few seasons but here I am getting help from the craziest bunch of Sledheads on this side of the globe!

Cheers
Mike from NY!

This is exactly what happened to my 2007 Attakgt yesterday, I have no fuel pump spool up or starter engagement. Blue high beam light on and red cold start up on. No codes on the display. I'll check that block by the clutch, what 10 Amp fuse did you check?
It's the one under the Airbox on the Starter solenoid

I have a 2008 apex ltx. 9000k My issue is sled runs flawlessly one day than crap the next. I've exhausted every possibility. Symptoms are ripin fine than boom like the kill switch got hit. Complete power loss than in seconds all comes back running great than does it again. Park it a day go back run all day no problem than boom. It's crap again. Next is cutting open all wiring. Any thoughts? Thanks

Back