• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex "Y" Pipe Repair Advice

So I pulled my sleds out of the trailer when it was 65 out the other day to wash them, and without my helmet on to muffle noise I could hear exhaust noise on my 09 Apex.
I am going to pull the sled apart to see what needs to be done, doughnuts or worse pipes, I am worried about pipe issues being bad on this one.
Was wondering if the exhaust pipes from my 03 RX1 would work, I have the complete exhaust with the pipes that connect to the head with 4 new copper gaskets.
I had my RX pulled apart a couple years ago to do the doughnuts and found one broken flex pipe, so ordered one and pulled sled and trailer out of my garage while waiting for parts, and my sled and trailer was stolen.
I have the complete exhaust that was left in the garage so my question without having my Apex apart to compare, are the exhaust parts the same just not titanium?
Funny I have several parts in my garage rafters like the exhaust, seat, fuel tank, all the bolts etc. that I was holding onto in case the cops ever found the sled, guess I can get rid of them now since I have given up hope if it found now that three years have passed.
Anyone need some RX1 parts lol

Last edited:

I wasn't part of the install...but..the pipes were leaking on the header side (staining the head with exhaust) and the pipes were loose fitting. Better/stronger stainless band clamps were used that tightened up the gap but my assumption is the loose fitment means the cut out "voids" are still leaking even with overlap (because that area won't crush).
Update: After confirming with FX Garage their kit will work with the updated Yamaha stainless steel pipes, I bit the bullet and bought two new pipes. My thinking is this is probably the direction that has the best chance of giving me another 10K miles trouble free. Pipes should arrive late this week or early next week.

Thanks for the replies!

Steve:-o

See my update post 26 on the thread

https://ty4stroke.com/threads/apex-donut-elimination-mod.154719/page-2

Hi Guys
The kit will fit all models from 2003-18 2,3,4 cylinder. I am always trying to improve the kits in every way and I'm looking into stronger and better clamps. When installing the pipes check for a snug fit on both ends. The 4 notches can be calmed closed for a tighter fit and clamps will hold in place. Please feel free to message me with any questions. Thanks. Kevin

Hi Guys
The kit will fit all models from 2003-18 2,3,4 cylinder. I am always trying to improve the kits in every way and I'm looking into stronger and better clamps. When installing the pipes check for a snug fit on both ends. The 4 notches can be calmed closed for a tighter fit and clamps will hold in place. Please feel free to message me with any questions. Thanks. Kevin

You really need to work on getting a pipe ID that's closer to the factory OD. You're using good quality parts but it's so much work to make them barely fit it's leaves a bad taste given the cost of the kit. It's a ton of work to test to see if they leak and if they do the sled has to come apart again, and again and again.

I'm trying to be constructive because your idea is excellent but the execution isn't up to par yet. I don't like the idea of being a beta tester.

Update:

Hello All - just finished the FX install on my 09 Apex & my 10 Vector for a total of 7 flex joints. Here is what I learned and what I suggest to installers and FX Garage:

1) I too noticed there was an abundance of clearance between the joint and the manifold on the engine side. What I did was get some 0.017" 316 SS sheet from a local metal supply house and made a sleeve to go around the manifold. I used the clamps with the kit to form the metal round and carefully filed the slot in the sleeve to butt tightly together when inside the flex joint (this could be welded for an even tighter connection). I had to open up the sleeve on the flex joint to be parallel to the ID farther down toward the flex area to allow the sleeve to slip inside. It was tight but it did go together. I tested for sealing between the manifold and the flex joint on the bench and there was just a slight hint of leakage before fully tightening the clamps. Once put together and running there was no perceptible leakage. Suggestion - reduce the diameter of the input side of the flex joint so it slips on with minimal clearance. This may be a bit tricky as I am not sure of the variation of the OD of the manifold across all the models in each input size range.

2) I ended up getting two new Yamaha SS Y pipes for the Apex. Believe me it was difficult to cut off the doughnut flanges as was stated elsewhere that once these are cut there is no going back (well not really but you know what I mean). Getting the flex joint to fit into the Y pipes was very difficult as FX warns in their video. Much grinding, sanding, fitting to get them to go in was needed, particularly on the RH side where there is a sharper bend. But in the end I got them all to fit. The fit into the Vector had one I really had to grind/sand etc. and two others that slipped right in but still were a pretty tight fit. Suggestion - perhaps reduce the OD of the flex joint output side a little bit to lessen grinding/sanding. As with the input side, this will be tricky considering potential variations from model to model and year to year.

3) When cutting the engine side manifolds off there was some ambiguity on where the 1.5" cut should be measured from. Should it be measured from the pipe side of the flange or from the engine side? Suggestion - add a drawing that clearly references where this measurement should be taken.

4) After cutting off the flanges on the Y pipes the instructions stated to cut slots in the pipe so the clamps can tighten properly. I was not sure how wide or long to make these. Suggestion - add a drawing clearly defining how long and wide these slots need to be.

5) As the FX video states Dry fit everything before tightening things down. This is really important! I needed to cut 5 of flex joints shorter on the input side to get everything to fit properly.

6) Both of my sleds are LTX's. I am not sure if this applies to other length sleds but in order to get the Y pipe hanger and the Y pipes out on the Apex without loosening the bolts holding them together I had to remove the tunnel protector on one side. There are a fair amount of rivets holding this in and a couple that are difficult to get to. On the Vector the bolts holding the Y pipe to the mount were loose somehow and this was not necessary. Suggestion - verify the need for removing the tunnel protector and if so add this to the instructions and include rivets to re-install. Perhaps I missed something??

After I was done I am happy with the results overall. I was not happy with the additional messing around I had to do but I look forward to not having to mess with the exhausts on either sleds for quite a while - maybe with the exception of re-tightening the clamps. I did the Apex first and was very nervous about where to cut things and making everything fit. The Vector went better as I was more familiar with the process. Suggestion - when writing the instructions step back and think like the audience is someone who has never done this before and be extra clear in each detail. This is not to be condescending to the reader but I feel it is always better to err on the side of too much information.

Editorial - It is too bad Yamaha has this rather fragile exhaust design. I bought Yamaha for the reliability of the motor which they delivered. But having an engine that will go 30K miles plus needs to have the support devices around it more robust as well. End of editorial.... :-o

Now the sleds can be put to bed for the summer and I look forward to next season.

Steve :Rockon:

Hi Guys Great write up Engineman on installing the 2 kits on your Apex and Vector. I’m currently make the shim pieces to include in the kit to accommodate the variances between the flex pipe and the manifolds. I’m Working with the manufacturing company to get that perfect inside/outside diameter for “Y” pipe and manifold sides for an easier and faster instal. Thanks again for all the great feed back.

Hi Guys Great write up Engineman on installing the 2 kits on your Apex and Vector. I’m currently make the shim pieces to include in the kit to accommodate the variances between the flex pipe and the manifolds. I’m Working with the manufacturing company to get that perfect inside/outside diameter for “Y” pipe and manifold sides for an easier and faster instal. Thanks again for all the great feed back.
Good to hear. I would consider trying another set for a repair job with correct diameters.

Thanks guys for the responses!

Thanks Kevin for the update on your kit improvements as well. I hope this can be the new "gold standard" as it fixes both the doughnut issues and the flex joint cracking on the stock setup - I had one cracked bellow on each of my sleds and just replacing the one leaves the others suspect for cracking in short order if I were to just fix it that way.

Steve ;)!

Back