• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

APEX " Y " PIPES BREAKING & UNAVAILABLE

mrance111 said:
I talked to Arron from Excell. He expects to get a HP increase with his pipes. He told me they will be available in the fall. Altering the RX1 headers may affect the exhaust flow. They are two inches shorter, it may not seem like a lot but could affect the performance. You will never know if it does unless you do some extensive field testing or get the setup dynoed. I will opt. for the Excell headers that will be dynoed and field tested to assure they perform as good or better then the stockers.

from what I understand...the rx1 headers are identical except 2 inches shorter....so adding two inches makes them identical to the stock titanium apex y pipes....so there will be no worries about dyno or power loss as they are indentical to stock.

I can bet excells Y pipes will be a pretty penny,but good to see we have alternatives for next year.

Dan

yamaha retail for both " Y " pipes & donuts is $654.18 & still titainium ( may break again ).
bender retail for both " Y " & donuts is $499. & made from stainless ( won't ever break ).
both in steel w/ donuts - $399.

bob

bufalobob said:
yamaha retail for both " Y " pipes & donuts is $654.18 & still titainium ( may break again ).
bender retail for both " Y " & donuts is $499. & made from stainless ( won't ever break ).

bob

and for less....rx1 stainless Y pipes are around 105 each....and then you probably could pay a muffler shop 75 bucks to extend 2 inches.

so 285 plus 40 for new donuts.....then you got stainless that should last forever....

so now we have many alternatives and price ranges....I just like knowing that I wont be replacing the POOR DESIGNED TITANIUM Y pipes with another copy that will jut break again....i still cannot for the life of me undertand why yammie keeps warranteeing these with same crap titanium.....sometimes i just dont get this company!....just like them saying the handwarmers are fixed!....yah right!

Dan

ROCKERDAN said:
bufalobob said:

bob

and for less....rx1 stainless Y pipes are around 105 each....and then you probably could pay a muffler shop 75 bucks to extend 2 inches.

so 285 plus 40 for new donuts.....then you got stainless that should last forever....

so now we have many alternatives and price ranges....I just like knowing that I wont be replacing the POOR DESIGNED TITANIUM Y pipes with another copy that will jut break again....i still cannot for the life of me undertand why yammie keeps warranteeing these with same crap titanium.....sometimes i just dont get this company!....just like them saying the handwarmers are fixed!....yah right!

Dan

They are most likely charging back the supplier !

warantee - Y pipes

Last November, my dealer covered my Y-pipes under warantee with the gaskets.

Well, it's now March and I've only put about 3000 km. The new Y-pipes didn't even last, they're already cracked right through, gaskets gone, rediculous.

A few dealers told me that many others are having this problem, and we ALL NEED TO WRITE YAMAHA a letter. If they get enough of them from ALL OF US, perhaps, they will adress this as a problem, and

i) recall the product
ii) change the design from titanium, back to the steel pipes that the 03 / 04's used which lasted long

I'm working on a letter of complaint NOW, requesting a recall, and a change of design.

What if the cracked pipes cause a burst of fire or some minor heat / explosion UNDER THE GAS tank - what if it blew up? Woudl Yamaha take it serious then? If someone got killed?

Just a thought. My dealer's advice, we all write to Yamaha until they decide to listen to our concerns. How can a product not even last ONE season? How can they expect us to drop $800 for new Y-pipes each year? That's BS...

Customer Relations:

Yamaha Motor Canada Ltd.
480 Gordon Baker Road
North York, ON, CA
M2H 3B4

Is it a proven fact, that the stainless is not going to crack also???

Isn't the pipes cracking because the tunnel moves around more than the exhaust system allows???

The tunnel flexes more on a higher milage unit over a new unit. This is probilly why the Y pipe epidemic hit this year,and with the sleds all getting more miles on them, Yamaha now has to come up with a fix.

Thanks SJ, the exhaust header issue has become more clear to us this season, I assume this is the result of many more sleds getting into the higher mileage category. The best I can say is make sure your dealer logs your complaint with our service department. The more cases on file the more likely it is for us to react. We are re-focusing on our QDR (quality, durability and reliability) which will take some manpower away from new model development which I believe is a good investment in our future (as much as I like to see benchmark setting new models every year.)
cheers cr
March 12th, 2008 at 9:42 pm

Well... that explains where the new models went this year.

so then are the 2009 apex exhaust issues work over or will be worked over when delevired in fall.
I had to wait for donuts this year because of back order. Others lost alot of riding time this year from back order Y-pipe. Can anyone imagine what next year will be like. Better order your spare sets now you most likely wont get them next year during riding season.

I think the titanium is much thinner and more brittle.....more susceptible to cracking.

the rx1 never had this issue with the stainless steel y pipes....Im sure the rx1 pipes are on backorder cause so many guys are buying them for apexs and having them extended to fit.

I agree..yammie needs to take care of this issue for the new sleds(09s) and i also believe this should be a RECALL for ALL APEX/ATTACKS from 06 ......

the problem is,will they do it?.....these pipes are not cheap,and the labour is alot too.....so Im gonna guess right now,that we will never see any recall....unless someone DIES from blowing the fuel tank up or gets seriously injured...then the GOV would have to step in and find fault....

If yammie is smart,they would bite the bullet and do a recall.....but you never know how these companys will go about rectifying these things.

A letter writing blitz sure would be smart!

Dan

Dan, your right. what turns me off is that yamaha doesn't take care of these stupid problems, i hope they fixed the handwarmers on the 09's and the dipstick not being magnetic is un-real, so for us to get the "Y" pipes done correctly, we need to shell out $500.00 for the stainless steel ones and spend hours taking apart and putting back together, that makes me want to rush out and buy an 09', un-real :o|

Back