• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Asphalt Results 2003 (RX1)

looking4speed - I had some 250r Honda front shocks in the RX1, with the stock suspension tied down, just before I met pro116 (Ryan). They did work, but were really soft. Ryan came down to the track and told me that he had all srx stuff available. So now, it has srx shocks on the front, (adjuster nuts all the way up, tight), they bolted right in, and srx suspension in the rear. I made a strap that keeps the rear scissor arm to a height of 5.25 inches from the ground. Front torque arm is 3/16 of an inch from the rubber snubbers, almost bottomed out. Hope this helped. I do have pics with the 250r shocks on it, and the stock rear skid tied down, if you want me to send them to you? But it looks sooo much better this way.

Srxspec - Awesome, I was looking for an alternative air filter for this, and didn't want to pay the price for the Bender setup.

I ran my RX1 at the track last night. Stock mountain clutching and gearing,137.5 jets 10 tooth drivers,121
10inch track and wahl suspension.
1st run 60 foot 1.622 1/4 11.424 mph 106.24.
2nd run changed helix to 49. 60 foot 1.606 1/4 11.132 mph 111.63.
5th run put on roler secondary sliver spring 49 helix,60 foot 1.676 1/4
11.138 mph 113.12.
The sleds rpm was 10 and the last 4 sec of the run it hit 11000 .
I have 8bu-oo and heel clickers ,I will try next, I need to get the rpm down.
This RX1 Is going to make a good asphalt sled.Next race june 13.

Hey therxwon - Alright, got another member racing the rx1! Talked to an ebay member last night, and he runs a 22/40, and he says it works great. I am still 22/38, and it runs thru the lights in the 10,500/10,600 range, and after clutching will probably change. He also told me of a guy who makes similar suspensions to Wahl, and Proline. He is not a business yet, but wants to get exposure. Glad to see you are getting it down towards the 10's. :D Keep up with the great info, and we will be able to see what works, and what does not.

Nos Pro and therxwon I know it must be like night and day between the tarmatt and snow but tell us difference :? do you hook that much better and stay hook up all the way :? I just read that magazine in some shoot out the best 1/4 time was 13 sec you guy are doing a lot better than that 8)

Hey tooold - If everything works out right, the sled feels like it pulls on your arms to the fullest extension. Kind of funny, when your doing the burnout, it feels like it would never hook up off of the line, until the track gets hot, and jets forward toward the start line. Then your worried if you will be able to hang on or not. Another way to descrbe it is, when you are trail riding, and you cross a road, and there is a bare spot of grass, and you have 192 pics, and your spinning before, then you hit it. Feels pretty close to that, but multiplied by 10.

Hey everybody, 6/7/03 - Rained Friday, so they cancelled. Saturday (today) shows rain till early morning, then partly cloudy, with low temps (55-63). Did some testing in the driveway before the rain hit. It fully extends the suspension in the front, but is not picking up the wheels like it did before. Results: Shoots straight, no track ratcheting, back end sucks down about an inch, and shoots forward like a rocket. Couple inches of the snowflap will be history by the end of today, but it's a small price to pay to be faster. :lol: :lol:

rx-1

Hope you can get to run it soon, cannot wait to see what a diff. the clutch kit makes, GOOD LUCK!! ANd SMOKE EM!! :twisted:

I finally made to the track today and made 6 runs. I never even bothered with the stock ramps. I used welded weighted doun 89a ramps that I fixed up for snowmobileing but got a over rev after half track,10600-10700 used then once.the Rest of the day I used the thunder shift, It can rev between 9800 and 10600 and only change ets by a couple of tenths.Stock helix silver secondary stock primary and 24/38 gears. I also put on the nice olins srx front shocks looks cool.Now the stats best et 11.19 best mph 114.21 best 60 footer 1.57, but not all the bests were on the same pass. But 1/8 mile times I would like to know from you guys, mine were et 6.95 and 97.19 mph. This is a blast. Can't wait to go again.

This is my time slip.
R/T... .568
60 ... 1.674
330... 4.481
1/8... 6.961
MPH... 97.09
1000... 9.193
1/4... 11.148
MPH... 112.54

Hey Guys - 5/7/03, Weather was not good, sprinkled on and off, temp was 70-74, humidity was past my gauge limits. Best time run with stock clutching was 11.625 @ 110.959, with a 60 ft. of 1.764. I have to say that it shoots straight and handles great, with it lowered down the way it is. I put in BBY (Matt) HH weights with stock primary spring, with no change to the secondary, (still stock settings). That run was a 11.251 @ 112.100, and a 60 ft. of 1.557, with the stock Yami belt with 1000 plus miles and 10 drag runs. It felt like the clutches were slipping yet, so I changed to my Dayco Max belt, it then ran a 11.912 @ 109.532, with a 60 ft. of 1.814. What a piece of $%^&! It worked well awhile ago, but you should see the Dayco belt now. I will send a pic to RX Warrior of the belt. Take a piece of copper strand electric wire, and cut it. That's how the belt strands look and feel. The primary got polished to a mirror finish. I wonder what everybody else is using for belts? Is everybody scuffing the clutch sheaves? It seems like the dayco belt hit harder off the line, causing it to spin the track. Ran 1st round and won with the Yami belt back on with a 11.267 @ 111.857 with a 60 ft. of 1.557, same as the run before. Won that round, and called Matt. He asked to change the allen head screws in the HH's, but after we hung up, they called me for second round, so I didn't have time. 2nd round I ran a 11.228 @ 112.517 with a 60 ft. of 1.576, but lost to the class points leader with his pro bike. RX Warrior, I have 2 video runs of the rounds that I ran, which I will send you. I know BBY has his stuff figured out on these HH's, with his setup running 10,400 right off the line, and staying there till the last 25 ft., and going past the finish line at 10,500. He asked me to make it start at 10,200 for the first 100 ft., then go to 10,400. Matt and I are determined to get this baby down to 10.25 in the 1/4 with his clutching. I will try his helix and spring next race. Like I said, the conditions were bad for making fast runs. Top eliminator drivers that run 9.90, were running 10.35, and also were guys on sleds running .4-.5 slower than expected.

Tooold - I guess my predictions, from looking through my log book, I gained .6 of a second from lowering the sled through my suspension changes, hope this helped you. Settings are front srx shocks adjusted to max stiffness, rear srx skid, with the front torque arm 3/16 inch above rubber snubbers, with the front torque arm shock with 13 threads from the top. The rear scissors strapped down to 5 1/4 inches and the shock set at 6 threads (soft). Transfer is perfect, with pulling the front skis off about 3/4 of an inch for only 15-20 ft.

AWESOME :lol: looks like that clutching kicks but 8) BBY knows his stuff cant wait to try his set up on my own sled I know it is a ways off but I hope you are going to haydays I would drive the 300 miles for that cant wait till next week to see more clutching :wink: your doing us RX-1 Owners a big favor with all this info. So what do you think the biggest gain has been clutching ? :p

Hey tooold - I talked to Matt (BBY) last night, he and I think we could throw a lot of angle to the helix. As for myself so far, all I have tried is the HH weights from Matt. Got alot of season to go yet. Looks like the HH's are a big hit with everybody. I useually go with someone to HayDays, but not to race, just look for deals.

We still have along way to go. First we need to throw more weight at the primary, somewhere in the 3 g area. Then on to the secondary. Spring/Helix. The problem with stock Yamaha clutches is how they shift out, the stock primary split collar and sheave angle coupled with the stock helix will not allow for the belt to ride as high as possible in the primary or as low as possible in the secondary. Idealy a 1 to 1 ratio is your target once shifted out. I will be sending my primary and secondary down to terry with these mods. The beauty of terrys testing is the gains you can see with each change. This will be huge for alot of you who dont have the time or resourses to test on your own. I want as many fast RX-1s on the trail as possible and this is a great way to participate in making sure that happens. Without a doubt, proper clutching is the single biggest improvement for the $ you can do...BBY

Seconday spring.

The reason your seeing the High Rpm's is due to that seconday spring. the Belt is slipping in the seconday. I would dump the Yamaha Helix and go to a silver or a green Yamaha secondary spring. I would be inclined to go right to the green wrapped at 70 degree's. I'd bet you'd see a big fall in the RPM's.

Terry do a run and messure the clutch temps with your current setup. Change the Helix and seconday spring and I bet the temps drop a ton!!!

Hey J, When I called BBY, the clutch temps were the same as stock, around 140° range. BBY sent me a couple of springs, and a helix. Gonna get the primary squared away before we attack the secondary. Will try them soon. :D

Back