• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Attak studding advice please.

162 down the middle. If you are into a little drag racing, then use 1.45 else 1.325 is good for good old trail riding.

stud it i have only had 1 sled not studded it was a viper and imo cant be studded (without major modification) and about 90% of the time i didnt need them but that 10% of the time i really really missed them, i have 108 in my 06 attak and it works fine and yes there has been time that im really glad i had them my .02$

MrAttak said:
stud it i got 162 in mine running just fine great hook up

GLAD I STUDDED

I agree! 162 down the middle works great for me. 1.325 in a v pattern and I get good hookup and with pilot 6.9 skis w/6" shapers in center and 4" woody's on the out side, I rail around corners. Now all I have to do is get a 13mm sway bar to keep the inside ski from lifting to much.

Studding is all about safety for me.

I agree that if the conditions are good you dont need them 90% of time.

I was once riding solo down a road in WI to access the trail, it had just snowed about 1/2 inch, I took a right turn around a corner, did a 360 spin, the machine then grabbed the pavement and flipped on its side, I was pinned under it in an awkward position and was not able to use my arms/legs to push it off, after about 10 minutes a guy came along and helped me out. I have studded ever since.

There are some compromises in weight, vibration, track durability etc.. But worth it for the safety.

Just my $.02

I put about half my miles on in Quebec and I have noticed that nobody in Canada has studs. I think that is due to the fact that you have so much snow that you don't see a reason for them. I however think that studs help you accelerate, slowdown and corner in any groomed trail conditions. If you could take your sled for a ride with it studded you would see what you have been missing out on. I rode my Apex two local rides and one Canada ride this year before I got it studded and it just felt nervous to me and would not stop at all. Now I got 192 1.38's and it rails and I feel confident in my cornering and stopping abilities. Studs are a pain, checking to see if they are tight, worrying about your track, checking to see if they are hitting anything, premature bogie wheel wear etc, but the benifit far out ways this and not just for dragracing.

KubotaOne said:
I'll take some crap about this, but here it goes.

Dont' stud it, why? Unless your running a ton of icey roads, the ripsaw is awesome as is. You weakin the track, it's expensive, and you have added maintenance to keep an eye on it. On hard pack this track hooks, big. I can't see why anyone would stud it frankly.

Let the bullets fly......

162 Woodys, 1.325 Mega-Bites down the middle of the track. Hooks up good enough to go without ripping anything. Great on corners and stopping power is way better on icy trails. Too few is worse than too many!

TimC

I have 162 ...1.380's.....single/double...

if I had to do it again...would stud in the outside belt...and not on a ripsaw...6 pitch predator...1"

Hey apexerER. Maybe it is just Quebec that a lot of people don't stud. Every single sledder I know personally, except one are studded here in Ontario.
Weird eh?
I am in the process of changing my 96-1.325's to 144- 1.45's woodys megabites. I can't wait to see how she hooks then!.
Cheers,
Rick.

Back