• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

BAD accident today

stevewithOCD

Yamaha, Make me Come Back
Country
USA
Snowmobile
900 R
2006 Apex RTX
I was behind a guy who went off trail today.
I just met him through a friend yesterday & 4 of us did 300 miles in the Allagash & Northern Maine.
7 of us headed out today as it started to snow. Him on a Viper, 2 Sidewinders, Apex & 3 1200's.
I didn't see exactly what happened, but i'm pretty sure he hit a big bump in the corner, went off trail & hit a tree with his side.
He broke 7 ribs, broken scapula, collapsed lung that filled with blood & bruised heart.
I laid next to him for over an hour to keep him calm & make sure he stayed breathing as others got help.

We rode to Fort Kent hospital to check on him. The first thing the doctor noticed was my motocross Tekvest. He thought it would have helped him significantly.

He is stable & undergoing tests.

The trail was freshly groomed but basically had new powder dragged over a previous big bumped out section so the bumps were hidden.
I realized the situation & thought he had noticed also.

SCARY!

So sorry to hear that Steveo, we are all pulling for him., be very careful the rest of your ride!

Thanks guys
I barely knew him, but i know him now!
I actually made him giggle to keep him comfortable. NOT recommended to a man with a collapsed lung!

So glad he’s ok. Things can happen in an instant for sure! Nice job Steve.

I’m heading up Saturday morning...looks like the conditions are fabulous..8-14 inches today and tonight..another 1-3 tomorrow night!! What a year up there for snow...rock solid fabulous conditions since the trails opened on 12/15/17!!!

Yep Steve I hear you, the girl friend said put your vest on if your really going out to work on the 270 tune, these sleds today demand respect and the use of protection beyond just a helmet. Hope for a fast recovery.

I also wear a Hans neck device. I just feel comfortable since i wear these exact devices on my bike also.

What trail where you guys on? Just want to make sure I am careful. I know we had some scary bumps on 85 I think going north you come over a hill on a straight away and there are some big 2 footers on the backside.

I was behind a guy who went off trail today.
I just met him through a friend yesterday & 4 of us did 300 miles in the Allagash & Northern Maine.
7 of us headed out today as it started to snow. Him on a Viper, 2 Sidewinders, Apex & 3 1200's.
I didn't see exactly what happened, but i'm pretty sure he hit a big bump in the corner, went off trail & hit a tree with his side.
He broke 7 ribs, broken scapula, collapsed lung that filled with blood & bruised heart.
I laid next to him for over an hour to keep him calm & make sure he stayed breathing as others got help.

We rode to Fort Kent hospital to check on him. The first thing the doctor noticed was my motocross Tekvest. He thought it would have helped him significantly.

He is stable & undergoing tests.

The trail was freshly groomed but basically had new powder dragged over a previous big bumped out section so the bumps were hidden.
I realized the situation & thought he had noticed also.

SCARY!

Wow, glad to hear that he made it to the hospital. I wish him well.
Dam trees are hard and always there when you screw up.

More like 4 footers.
It was 83 near St. Agatha. 85 was VERY bumpy in Fort Kent due to groomer breaking down. It should ALL be good now in the County.
Turns out this rider had only a couple years experience. He just adjusted his air shocks so he probably didn't get a feel for them yet. Sometimes guys will adjust their shocks not realizing they may be very stiff when compressed or the opposite where they compress & bottom out over a big hit. Plus he didn't realize the severity of these bumps.

More like 4 footers.
It was 83 near St. Agatha. 85 was VERY bumpy in Fort Kent due to groomer breaking down. It should ALL be good now in the County.
Turns out this rider had only a couple years experience. He just adjusted his air shocks so he probably didn't get a feel for them yet. Sometimes guys will adjust their shocks not realizing they may be very stiff when compressed or the opposite where they compress & bottom out over a big hit. Plus he didn't realize the severity of these bumps.
First and for most i'm glad the guy is going to recover, secondly I applaud you.. you did a very noble thing taking the time to show compassion to a fellow sledder in need, its nice to know their is sledder's out there like you, Hats off to you.

I just crashed for the FIRST time since I have been riding (30 years if you go back to when I was 10!) and I had my tekvest on and while I'm beaten and bruised I am walking and no long hospital stays. I am pulling for your new found friend and hope he makes a full recovery! It was very nice of you to lay with him I bet that brutal for both of you.

I just missed the helicopter taking this guy out. Rode 15miles that day. Broken ribs and whatnot.
IMG_20171229_120456175_HDR.jpg

I just crashed for the FIRST time since I have been riding (30 years if you go back to when I was 10!) and I had my tekvest on and while I'm beaten and bruised I am walking and no long hospital stays. I am pulling for your new found friend and hope he makes a full recovery! It was very nice of you to lay with him I bet that brutal for both of you.
Glad to here you are alright,

Back