• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Battery replacement, low voltage fix

Update. I did not disconnect my battery or Ucap upon summer storage. My battery is now flat and neither of my battery chargers will charge it, both flashing an error code upon connection. Not sure if its related but.................I now need a new battery. Maybe the on/off switch just became a bigger priority.

Update. I did not disconnect my battery or Ucap upon summer storage. My battery is now flat and neither of my battery chargers will charge it, both flashing an error code upon connection. Not sure if its related but.................I now need a new battery. Maybe the on/off switch just became a bigger priority.
Try a dumb old charger. Its saved a few batteries my (smart)Optimate or Battery Tender refused to charge.

I thought about that. In reality, after 4 years and 8k miles I am probably due for one anyway.
Seeing how this is going to be my back up sled now, I should really put an on/off switch in.

I PM'ed my source for that other solution but its been a year and no reply. Janne339 had some real detailed pics and a couple test sleds that their solution was being tested on. That system also had a draw. I will hold off a bit before I post what he gave me for info. Its really weird. We were in communication often and he posted here often and just seemed to disappear. I hope nothing happened to him.

The Ucap does have a slow drain. its not a surprise it sucked your battery dry one the summer. Thats a long time. I would unplug the Ucap and battery when I had the sled sit for more than a week. The system worked great. but yea a on/off switch would make it more practical.

I should have known better. I went looking for a switch today. Didn't find one yet that would be practical to mount on the sled.

Cool site. A handle bar mounted switch to relay might be the way to go.
Those fan kit would be cool for the intercooler on the Sidewinders.......

Can you use a small lithium battery in place of the super cap? I have a new one sitting here and was considering this to solve my recent issues.

Can you use a small lithium battery in place of the super cap? I have a new one sitting here and was considering this to solve my recent issues.
The problem that will come up using your Lithium battery is trying to keep it charged. I connected my ECU directly to an LB and the motor fired perfectly however the battery is not compatible with the vipers charging system and will not charge properly.

The problem that will come up using your Lithium battery is trying to keep it charged. I connected my ECU directly to an LB and the motor fired perfectly however the battery is not compatible with the vipers charging system and will not charge properly.
How do you connect directly to the ECU?

I just bought this sled and did the airbox mod, added LED lights, relocated the fusebox, added a MBRP can, replaced top gear and chaincase teardown over the summer. Everything was great until I went to put it in the trailer a month ago and the battery was dead. Put a new battery in and have had the rough start and kickback since. Battery tests fine, I just took out the can and will try that. Idle is off, goes to 1540 up to 1730 when it gets warm. Throttle it up on stand and it may die when you let off. Not sure if more juice will fix it or not.

Last edited:
I just bought this sled and did the airbox mod, added LED lights, relocated the fusebox, added a MBRP can, replaced top gear and chaincase teardown over the summer. Everything was great until I went to put it in the trailer a month ago and the battery was dead. Put a new battery in and have had the rough start and kickback since. Battery tests fine, I just took out the can and will try that. Idle is off, goes to 1540 up to 1730 when it gets warm. Throttle it up on stand and it may die when you let off. Not sure if more juice will fix it or not.
How many miles on the sled?

Back