• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Battery Tender

SERPAGS

Expert
I can plug my 2amp 12V charger to the battery leads, Right ??? Don`t need to connect on the battery poles, do I ?
I know its not the brightest Q, but I had to ask.

I was wondering the same thing.
Will my 2 amp 12 volt auto charger work on the leads hanging off the right side off the sled.
How long should the charger be left on?
My sled has been in the garage(not heated) for two weeks now with out being started.Should i even bother charging the battery?

Thanks...

Not a dumb question afterall. I was always told that a battery charger will keep the battery at its best, so yes, plug it up.

I use a Battery Tender which is actually a "Battery Maintainer" and it is amazing how much longer a Battery will last when you keep this hooked up in the down time to any 12 Volt batteries ;)!

I still have the original Battery in my 04 Warrior and it is working fine :-o

You can even can a good inexpensive one for $20 from Wal-Mart, which is made by Schumacher :rofl:

Still running the original battery in my 04 RX-1 & it has been cranked to near death in Canada's -45 degree weather. Been using a Optimate III to charge since day one.

I have not had a battery go bad yet while using the tender or Optimate III. I use to have to get a new battery for my waverunner every few years until I kept it up with a tender. 5 years still going strong

You may be able to charge the battery from the leads but look back into your owner's manual. I have an 06 Apex and it reads in the manual, the leads are only intended for jump starting, not charging.

PeeWee said:
You may be able to charge the battery from the leads but look back into your owner's manual. I have an 06 Apex and it reads in the manual, the leads are only intended for jump starting, not charging.

Jump starting is a quick big charge. I honestly dont see the difference of hooking up your charger to the leads attached to the battery posts or straight to the posts themselves.

I'm not disagreeing with you. Just telling you guys what the manual says. I charge mine the same way. Merely passing on info.

Where's the snow?

PeeWee said:
I'm not disagreeing with you. Just telling you guys what the manual says. I charge mine the same way. Merely passing on info.

Where's the snow?

That is cool PeeWee I am wondering why they would care one way or the other is all. Thanks for the info.

Here is the wiring diagram for the battery. Does the positive and negative lead split? Maybe this is why you shouldn't charge from the jumper leads. What are the split cables going to? It looks like part of the cable goes to the battery casing itself. Any thoughts? Probably should get off the 'puter and just go figure it out in the garage. lol

Attachments

• partimage.gif
    partimage.gif
    21.5 KB · Views: 167
I just hooked the PLUG IN cable,that comes with my battery tender jr.....bolted both looped ends to the bolts on battery and ran the plugin where the jumper extension run....so now i can simply plug in my batt tender jr. into the plug and its all set for summer.

Dan

Back