• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belly Pan Blown Belt Protector

Looks like a Great idea, will be great insurance against any belt damage.
I will be adding one to my Winder when you start making them

Is the area marked in yellow where you guys are seeing damage? Thinking the contour of side panel is slightly different between viper and sidewinder in this area. Perhaps I will make up a supplemental piece for both sleds that can rivet to the panel to protect this area. I have a viper being dropped off this afternoon and I will compare the two.

View attachment 129203

On my Sidewinder the panel broke at the bolt in this picture from a belt that blew.

After some further review I am doing away with attaching it to the motor. Clearance is minimal behind clutch and my concern is if guard absorbs a belt blow and distorts, then it will rub on the primary. Finalizing plate drawing for another concept. Will update once I make more progress.

Also...looking less likely I can utilize a shared design for both sidewinder and viper now.

After some further review I am doing away with attaching it to the motor. Clearance is minimal behind clutch and my concern is if guard absorbs a belt blow and distorts, then it will rub on the primary. Finalizing plate drawing for another concept. Will update once I make more progress.

Also...looking less likely I can utilize a shared design for both sidewinder and viper now.

yes..not to mention any motor movement..

Exactly what I was going to ask. Rivet a viper belt bag to bottom of it maybe

Gave this some thought, but feel the lower belly pan is not an ideal place to store belt. Lots of belt and brake dust accumulation in that area.

Yea was hoping between the guard blocking and being in the bag it would help protect it. Space is tight on these things.

Got my new belly protector formed up and it fits great. This will offer robust protection to the lower belly pan! I'm now looking into the supplemental piece to protect the area around the a arm mounting bolt.

IMG_0909.JPG

IMG_0900.JPG

One perk to my latest design is that it can be installed without removing the primary clutch. The guard will come with a template to locate the front mounting holes on the panel. Unbolting the lower shock mount bolt will allow access for drill. Also pictured is a supplemental plate that can be bolted on to protect the area around a arm mounting bolt.

IMG_0911.JPG
IMG_0912.JPG

Why not just one single plate, like this! less cost for you...;-). It is holding by the upper tab bolt and 2bolt in the lower panel. Proven desing here since 2013 cat
IMG_4667.JPG

IMG_4669.JPG

I prefer to have it fit tighter against the contour of the body panel. I'd guess that the one you have has a rather large gap between the plate and panel up front by the clutch. The larger gap would make it more more vulnerable to buckling and deforming if a belt impacts it.

Maybe I'm just to picky, but I also don't like the look of the rolled guards on the market. Bending the guards on a press brake generates a part that looks more professionally designed to fit.

So for this belly pan protector we have to drill holes now? I thought the original design had no drilling and it bolted to existing bolts? Any word on the fan kit?

So for this belly pan protector we have to drill holes now? I thought the original design had no drilling and it bolted to existing bolts? Any word on the fan kit?

The original design was bolt in. Clearance was minimal behind the primary clutch once installed and any buckling or deformation would have resulted in it rubbing on the clutch.