• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt burn at engagement of clutch

HI guys, having a problem with my belt burning upon engagement. Not when I hit it hard, but when I'm taking off from a dead stop to load on a trailer, move around yard or even crossing the road. Have put 300 miles on the machine with a new belt and seems to be the same, however when running (trail riding) and moving there seems to be no problem, and no wear or heat to the belt.

The following is a rundown of the equipment for better understanding:
2003 RX1
136" m10 with ripsaw and studs
Heavy hitter clutch kit
Air filter kit
Stock gearing

The following are some of the obsevations I have made
Track tension good as per FAST specs
Brand new belt broken in for 50 miles
Clutch faces not glazed and are clean
All idlers and sliders OK
All bearings seem OK
Secondary clutch seems free from sticking, free to move on shaft (side to side)
Primary seems to engage right RPM 4500 I believe
Top RPM holds about 10250
Clutch alignment seems good.
Belt flush with top of secondary when stopped.

I have played around with AC clutches, no expierence on Yamaha yet. Was wondering if I should close the secondary up a little more (belt up 1/8"), machine doen't creep now and seems to have bit of room left compared to my Cat.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

TNT,

Is the belt really burning (smoke and excessive smell) or do you just get a slight smell of the blt getting warm? I ask because on my bone stock 03 RX1 if i really "baby" the throttle for movements like loading on the trailer, I also get a slight smell of the belt getting warm. I try not to baby the throttle but open it up enough to firmly engage the clutch.

I believe that belt should be running just above the sheeves. Not flush with it. All the Yamis I have owned the belt always rides above the sheeves when not engauged.
Someone correct me if I am wrong...

LazyBastard said:
Look at the way the thing is designed (all sleds) - of course they'll burn if you are light on the throttle. Don't be a pussy! Engage it like you mean it.

My vote for Quote of the week . ;)!

On the back of the secondary clutch there are three little bolts used to adjust defelction. If you have a new belt and TWO washers under each of the bolts, it will squeal when idling. It comes with one washer on each bolt. Someone may have added a second one under each bolt. Don't loose the washers, after the belt wears a bit, you can stick them back in to readjust defelection.

Same issue

Hey guys, I just changed my RX mountain over to a 121in M-10 with wider front end and a 23/40 gearing.

Except for changing the gearing and the drivers from 8 to 9 tooth everything else was left alone.

But I am having the same issue with the belt burning now when loading on the trailer or starting off going up a hill. Would the taller gearing be an issue?? The belt sits where it should. Is it something with the M-10 suspension.? I don't think that's what is going on but noticed you have a M-10 as well. I'm gonna clean the clutches with acetone before I go any further but seems weird we are having the same issue. I was worried that I moved something when I had the gearbox apart to get the front axle out. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Am having the same problem exactly as you firebird1158.

I like LB's solution, however friends who own the new trailer were not too impressed with me comming at it about 30MPH!!. Made them a lot nervous.

No snow here, have to make a change and trailer north to ride on the weekends.

Back