• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt hard to change on Vector???

RSVECTORFREAK

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 RS Vector ER
Anyone else have a really hard time trying to remove their belt on their vectors?? I had ownd alot of sleds but this one has to be the hardest one I have ever owned for removing and reinstalling a belt. Is their some kind of trick to it? I am doubting if i blow one on the trail by myself that I can change it without help.

What about it is hard to change? Are you opening the secondary clutch up and pulling the bottom of the belt up into the clutch? Once you do that you should be able to get the top of the belt out of the clutch and work it around. I just changed one on an RX-1 and that's all there was to it.

No i wasn't doing that. i tried to spread the secondary but that is really hard to do with the new spring in it from my clutch kit. I was just trying to grab the belt between the 2 clutches and working it off backwards. I'll give that a shot tongiht. Thanks

MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE MAKES A COVER FOR SECONDARY CLUTCH THAT LETS YOU USE A THREADED TOOL LIKE SKI DOO TO SPREAD THE SECONDARY CLUTCH FOR EASY BELT CHANGE ITS AROUND$30

Why would you even bother looking into that cover just so you can use that tool to remove your belt? Try taking your belt off the way that QCrider suggested earlier in this thread. You can also try pushing in and twisting your helix, when it opens, the belt will fall into the secondary holding it open, allowing you to easily remove your belt.

If you do it right, you can remove your belt and reinstall a new one in probably less than a minute.

KK i'll give that a shot too. I really didn't even want to ask this question as it sounded dumb but man we struggled last night to get it off.

98srx6 said:
Why would you even bother looking into that cover just so you can use that tool to remove your belt? Try taking your belt off the way that QCrider suggested earlier in this thread. You can also try pushing in and twisting your helix, when it opens, the belt will fall into the secondary holding it open, allowing you to easily remove your belt.

If you do it right, you can remove your belt and reinstall a new one in probably less than a minute.

I have been shown how to do this, and it works very well, with minimal effort.

RSVECTORFREAK said:
KK i'll give that a shot too. I really didn't even want to ask this question as it sounded dumb but man we struggled last night to get it off.

I know the feeling. I have struggled with things for hours, when it takes others only a few minutes to do the same task, all because i never asked how to do it. There is a vast knowledge of Yamaha snowmobiles on this site, and it is always a good idea to take advantage of it, no matter how simple your question.

:Rockon:

just push the secondary in and twist it while pushing. Should open right up. I havnt changed one yet but the clutch is the same as teh Viper nad it was a snap on those.

FugRWE said:
just push the secondary in and twist it while pushing. Should open right up. I havnt changed one yet but the clutch is the same as teh Viper nad it was a snap on those.

Yes, just changed the belt this weekend and I found it to be pretty easy. The hardest part was working the detached belt off between the primary clutch and the side panel without taking the side panel off.

belt change

Does the secondary lock open? Mine kept wanting to slam shut as I was pressing and twisting on my RS venture.

Also, I forgot to look at the time, is there a direction on the Yamaha belts?

Is there an easier way than pressing and turning the secondary? I'm unclear afterre-reading the entire thread 3 times...

Thanks.

push the secondary in and rotate it to the right at the same time you push it in. Im not sure if it will lock open but it will open enough for you to atleast get the belt started off. Its probably easier to remove the side panel first. Once you get an edge of the belt off just keep pulling it off in the same direction.

Back