• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt height

Thewhitedogg

Extreme
Took a look at my secondary clutch today after reading a post on here and someone mentioned that the proper belt height should be 1.5mm above the top of the secondary. Mine is at least 1/16" below the top. Will this cause any problems and how do I fix it? The sled has 1400 miles and it is the original oem belt. Also the belt seems to be wearing a ridge in the middle of the primary. Is this normal?
Thanks for your help

That spec of being above the top of the secondary doesn't take belt variance into account. Very often you get a belt that is just a little shorter than spec, so having the belt above the secondary will cause it to squeal at idle. You can adjust per the specific belt though.

The higher up in the secondary the belt sits, the more engagement and bottom end torque you can get down to your driveshaft. Makes absolutely no difference once it starts shifting though.

Height in the secondary is adjusted by adding or removing washers from the 3 bolts in the back of the secondary.

Re ridge in the primary..... normal, but not good. OEM belts are very hard and tend to slip, causing friction and wear on the surface of the clutch. Keep an eye on it, and when it starts looking really bad or you start getting cracks in the face, it'll be time to replace the sheaves.

You should also try varying your RPM and speed more. As Lazy Bastard said, these belts are very hard and will wear your clutch sheaves. By varying your RPM and speed you are allowing the wear to transfer all over your clutch surface thus reducing localized wear. It isn't always the easiest on the trails but you can do it on the straight aways.

Back