• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt top coming off

Fast Lane

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Yamaha Nytro ER
Why does the top of the belt come off? This is the second time its done this. Heat? Old age? Curious what you guys figure.

IMG_1438.jpeg

Typical Yamaha belt issue. Generally after a long run at near top speed the belt heats up and fails. You can feel it start to delaminate on your left foot before it explodes. However, I would usually get 2-3 thousand kms out of the Yammi belts.

The belt has 4500 kms on it I should add. I felt a vibration then smelt some rubber.

i usually only get around 2-3000 km on a belt on average without towing anything.

Interesting. I wasn't sure if it was a belt issue or an alignment issue but it just could be cause of miles on it. I've never had a belt blow clean through. Just the tops come off. I have always ran the 8DN belt.

No, this is not normal. It's normal for a high heat failure, but not normal to get so few KM's out of a belt.

Two Apex with 8DN and over 12,000 miles on stock belt. Only changed on my latest Apex due to pulling the viper out on frozen ground and the studs hooked up, fried the belt. (stupidity) Viper even has an 8DN with thousands of miles on it. I carry a spare, but have no intentions of changing it till it shows signs of wear.

That is some crazy miles on an original belt!

This is a picture of my first belt from many years ago. It was old and rotten. It blew up near the North West Angle.

IMG_2466.jpeg

No, this is not normal. It's normal for a high heat failure, but not normal to get so few KM's out of a belt.

Two Apex with 8DN and over 12,000 miles on stock belt. Only changed on my latest Apex due to pulling the viper out on frozen ground and the studs hooked up, fried the belt. (stupidity) Viper even has an 8DN with thousands of miles on it. I carry a spare, but have no intentions of changing it till it shows signs of wear.
the gf gets better milage out of a belt than i do as my apex's are clutched agressively and i am more of a throttle jockey than she is. she tends to get 3-4000 mi how she drives if i do not run that sled too much.

From daughters 9000 mile 2005 vector. Cant remember when a belt was put on it! Age, rubber dry rot deterioration, heat. She never noticed. I found it when putting a new track on it.

Attachments

• 20231223_111649.jpg
    20231223_111649.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 15

The three holers aren’t nearly as easy on belts or clutch parts as compared to the quads. I give my Ape a new 8DN every other season just so she knows I still like her and appreciate all she does for me.

I'm in Las Vegas right now for work but when I get home I'll get a straight edge out.

The three holers aren’t nearly as easy on belts or clutch parts as compared to the quads. I give my Ape a new 8DN every other season just so she knows I still like her and appreciate all she does for me.
It's the very reason I laugh when folks debate over what third party belt to use. The 8DN is the cheapest and longest lasting option out there. And it can handle the Hp thrown at it.

My first Apex was Ulmer clutched, as well as the Viper with plenty of bolt on mods. But my XTX is about as stock as it gets. Heck, I finally sent my clutches in to get fully serviced before last season at around 13,000 miles. As the engagement as not like it should have been. Still not a belt issue, but the primary was in need of some well deserved love

Back