• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

BENT 09 SUBFRAME

JINXY

A guy i ride with has a 2009 nytrortx se and just bent the whole front end.Needed new a-arm/spindle/ball joints and a subframe.replaced by yamaha.normal trail riding with several other sleds(apex/dragon/800r/f10).didnt hit anything any of the other sleds didnt-just moguls.This guy had a nytro last year as well as i did and we both bent subframes last year.I have to believe that there is something in the geometry of this sled that is prone to this problem.The 09 does seem to handle better than the 08 and is less twitchy.

yeah-its to bad yamaha hasnt figured out how to address this problem.Yamaha has definately made improvements from last year in the handling/darting department.This guy has spent over $20,000 on two nytros in the last two years-its too bad he has to go through this after yamaha said they fixed the issues for this year.

It has nothing to do with geometry, my friend had the same thing happen to his 09 xtx within the first 50 km.

After seeing the bent 09 subframe off the sled, it is pretty clear the problem is the design, the thin gusset plate with the hole in it for 09 is way too thin. Yamaha made the gusset plates literally 1 mm thick that is a joke. The plates need to be alot thicker, maybe 5mm.

I can't understand why Yamaha went so thin. Also anyone else notice how crappy the welds are on the subframes? I have seen bicycles at department stores with better welds. I don't think these bent subframe problems will go away until Yamaha designs them better with thicker plates.

To be honest I am thinking about taking my subframe off and cutting out the weak 1mm thick plates and re-welding in 5mm plates. Anyone else think it will improve the problem?

Again with all the 08 problems I am shocked Yamaha made the plates on the subframe so thin, I can't see how this could pass any engineers, I wonder if Yamaha did it on purpose, looking at the recent quater of business it seems Yamaha lost some money maybe this is a way for them to get us Nytro owners back to the shop to spend another 2k :bling

JINXY said:
A guy i ride with has a 2009 nytrortx se and just bent the whole front end.Needed new a-arm/spindle/ball joints and a subframe.replaced by yamaha.normal trail riding with several other sleds(apex/dragon/800r/f10).didnt hit anything any of the other sleds didnt-just moguls.This guy had a nytro last year as well as i did and we both bent subframes last year.I have to believe that there is something in the geometry of this sled that is prone to this problem.The 09 does seem to handle better than the 08 and is less twitchy.

i have an 08 rtx 40ann. and yamaha is giving me a 2009 front end! my shock on the one side isnt centred so my a-arm is flawed or something, so im getting a new subframe, a-arms ect.

I don't get it, I ride hard, very hard...I'm over 250lbs and my subframe is ok.....what am I doing wrong...I don't understand it won't bend?

Darnello be very thankful, while you are very lucky so far it does nothing to change the fact members are bending subframes. When or if it happens to you I am sure you might be feeling like some members on these forums. I don't think these people are bashing they are just disappointed. I understand how my friend felt, he was heart broken after shelling out 13k and within 2 hours had $2000 in damage from nothing. While my subframe is still fine, I have 900km on my 09 rtx se, I personally feel it's a matter of time before it happens to me. Besides if nobody is having truthful issues with these subframes why did Yamaha make such a huge change from 08 to 09 if these bent subframes are just rumors?

Again go look at your sled now, you see the hole at the bottom in the 09 subframe between you a-arms? Do you notice that plate is the thickness of paper? My guess is 1mm, well that is the weak spot and bends like crazy. If you only ride on 100 percent perfect groomed trails you may never have an issue, but if you do some riding on bumped trails etc, that plate does not hold up and bends right away.

Again if happens to you, I think you might be feeling different. The rate of failure on this site is high, way to high for my liking. Sure some members are not telling the full truth but I am willing to bet many members (like my friend) are telling the truth when they say they have no idea how the subframe bent so bad without impact.

Just curious if any else thinks welding in a thicker plate into the subframe could help?

I bent my subframe on my 08 with the first 300 miles. It was replaced with a 09. I c excatly what u r talking about with the thin plates. I noticed that myself when I got the sled back. This summer if I don't bend this subframe by the end of the season I plan on taking the subframe off and reenforcing it.

Sikeward glad to hear someone else feels like me. Do you have plans to cut the plate out and re-weld in a new thicker one? Or do you plan to weld a plate right over the old thin one?

I am banking money that yamaha will have thicker plates for 2010 models, I am still pretty shocked how thin the 09 plate is.

Sikeward did you take a close look at the welds on the subframe? If so what did you think about the weld quality? To me they look horrible, it seems like Yamaha is sourcing out the subrames from the cheapest Taiwan/China manufacturing plant going. I think the build quality on the Sled seems amazing, the subframe is a whole different story.

Yamaha needs to spend the extra 35 bucks per subframe and source out full 4130 heat treat chormo for the front end. That would really improve and help the bent subframe problem imo.

I am not sure how I am going to stiffen it up. I had the sled for only 2 weeks when the 1st on bent. Then when I got the 2nd one I just wanted to put it on the sled and ride. More than likely I will cut out the old supports and replace them with home made.

All discussions about "how to bend it" and "how to strengthen it" aside, I think we can all agree that Yamaha did not get this one right...When the most inward, most centered, most expensive and most difficult to replace part of the chassis is the first one to bend - then something is seriously wrong...! Then I think I prefer the REV-XP system with couple of bent spindles every season...

I understand how your friend feels Jinxy, I bent the subframe of my 09 in just over 100km. I was refused replacement under warranty and I bent it back to almost stock specs, one ski is still an inch or so back than the other.

My plan is in the summer to get get it all reinforced for next year.

Back