• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

BEST ICE SCRATCHERS

ok i had the footrest ones on rx1 . but will go with the rail ones i think , i tried the tric cables which of course is the most exp. but could not see how they could work as good , but atleast you can back up with them.. but i want lots of scratching with a 1.75 may be two sets

I just installed duraflex ice scratchers on my stretched 151" Warrior and my wife's Venture. I got the new style with the replaceable carbide tips.

I am running a 1.5" track on the warrior.

I have been very impressed with them so far. They kick up a ton of snow/ice when running on plowed roads and icy trails.

Should have put them on a long time ago.

I like these, because you can back up with no issues. That way, I don't find myself having to holler at 'da wife all of the time..."Stop!! Stop!! Don't back up until you put up the kickers!!"

They may not have enough down pressure to kick up stuff on bare ice, but I almost never encounter those types of conditions.

http://www.firstplaceparts.com/duraflex ... chers.html

I have a set of Tric cable scratchers that I've used a couple of times. I don't think they're all too effective though.

In prep for the icy conditions this weekend, I think I'll make up a set of ski scratchers. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow.

Grimm said:
I have a set of Tric cable scratchers that I've used a couple of times. I don't think they're all too effective though.

In prep for the icy conditions this weekend, I think I'll make up a set of ski scratchers. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow.
I played around with mine to get them right. ended up brazing a collar onto the end and welding a used pick to it. that was the ticket, very rugged and effective

yes there is a new wire type but has a flipper on the end , so it scratches tter in softer conditions but you can reverse with them down just like the cable ones , not shure on glare ice $110 can. justw them yesterday ,, i think they were ( over the hill ) make . i will check...

After researching it I think my preference would be to put them on the skid rail. This is easier with the 144's. I have a 121 and there was no feasible spot to put it near the front of the rail. By the time you mount them aft of the front idler wheels it would be scratching almost at the rear rollers so it wouldn't be that effective. I needed up putting the ones that mount under the running board. They work well. Only down fall is reversing is not a good idea and tucking them back up on their clip is a full-on, lay down and use two hands.

Otherwise they work great and kick up a ton of snow into the skid.
Ms

I had the footwell mounted ones and used a spacer made from old slide cut to fit , between the board and the retaining clip , so that it made it easier to hang back up.. but now using the rail type

Good idea. Sometimes when lots of ice form on the underside of the running boards it's gets annoying clipping them back up.

Ms

Grimm said:

I'd go further than Grimm's comments and say avoid the Tric cable scratchers. My buddy did a 1200km trip last year thru Gaspe and broke one completely off. He bought a second set this year to do the same ride (ran out of time before he left to get Slidekicks, so bought some on the trail). Another 1200km's and this year he lost both!

They break off at the crimp connection where it connects to the ski or swaybar(depending where you install them). Lots of other complaints about those scratchers here on TY.

Someone is using an MTX ski bolt (longer than the XTX) to mount spring scratchers on the stock XTX/RTX skis, and I've heard good things about those.

Second choice is Slidekicks. Not as effective as spring type, but they are durable.

What burns me a little is after 6 model years of Nytro's, and a known hyfax problem, you'd think Yamaha would have modified their rails to make spring scratchers easily mounted to the XTX/RTX. Arctic Cat have had the holes stock in all their rails since 2009?????

I know, I know, its Yamaha :o|

OTM

Back