• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best KLIM jacket for trail riding

All most all the time I wear the Free Ride outer shell with the base and mid layer for insulation, but for the very cold days I wear the Vector pant and jacket and love both sets. Klim gear is not cheap but IMO is worth ever penny. It's warm and keeps you dry.

I have the Vector jacket and Klimate bib. This has been a great system when used with layers for low temperatures. This is the best quality gear I have owned.

I have a Klimate and I like it for colder riding. The other night I wore and Inversion jacket and it wasn't bad. I had an Under Armor hot shirt as base, a Klim mid layer, and a TEK vest. It was about 15-20 degrees and it was surprisingly comfortable. My arms could feel the cold at higher speeds and in the trail it was negligible. I like being a little cool when I ride. My torso stayed pretty much the same for the whole ridev (TEK vest). Its the first time I have never had to touch my jacket during a ride.

sgauthier said:
I,ve got the klimate as well. Great jacket all around especially if you layer plus it has great ventalation. ;)!

Maybe I layer too much or maybe I'm just too fat lol. I felt like the Klimate was too warm with not enough ventilation!

I normally wear a skin tight base layer, a t-shirt, the Klim mid-layer with outer jacket on top. With the Team Yamaha / FXR jackets this has been just the right amount. On the warmer days I could open all the vents and be fine.

With the Klimate only having under arm ventilation I just felt like it did too good of a job and didn't breathe. My cell phone in the inner pocket would have moisture all over it. I even ditched the Klim mid layer and still got too warm.

If anyone wants a deal on a 2x Klimate, let me know - I've only worn it twice!

I guess the true answer to what's best is an individual's tolerance to cold and the way one responds to activity when riding.
I rode with a black and white Yamaha jacket for the last few years. Last season I purchased a Tek Vest with shoulder pads. The vest made the Yamaha jacket way too warm. Over the summer break I bought a Klim Valdez jacket and the Togwottee bibs. Being non insulated I was concerned about staying warm.
Last year I had some generic duck down bibs which were fine for warmth but not very waterproof. They were good for most of the riding I did, until I got into deeper snow and then I'd end up with a wet but. For layering I wear woolpower.
This is the link to their site. http://winteroutfitters.com/clothing.htm
If anyone has trouble staying warm this gear is excellent . I'd get wet and never once did I feel cold. With the Yamaha jacket all I wore up top was one of the 400g Turtle neck sweaters from Woolpower with the short zipper and my Tek Vest. I actually wore the sweater only under the jacket without the Vest to begin with and was plenty warm also.
Under my duck down bibs all I ever wore was my Woolpower 400k pants. This year with the new Klim Togwottee bibs I bought some Klim Tactical pants and wear my 400gm Woolpower pants over over them and my bibs on top of that.
Last week I decided to try riding without the Tek Vest so I put on a 200gm Turtleneck as well as the 400gm. I was toasty warm. Can't speak highly enough of either the Klim Valdez jacket or the Togwottee pants. Same can be said for the Woolpower gear. The only place I feel cool is on my forearms. But its more like you notice it's cooler than the rest of you rather than its cold.
I will add the coldest riding I have done this year has been in single digits and not below zero.

I have the Klimate parka.... practically froze to death first time I wore it. It was a really cold super windy day . Too cold to ride. I was experimenting with hi tech ultra thin layering. Turned back changed into good old helly hansen polypropylene long underwear... polyester very thin fleece hoody and just the jacket. Felt nothing... was cozy warm -35c windchill. I mean nothing. Seems like a good quality jacket. Find the right combo of layers that works for you and more important a jacket that fits. Unbelievable the difference proper layering makes. I am liking this jacket but you need to buy gear that suits your riding style and geographic location to be truly happy with it.

Looking for new gear and wondering what the best KLIM series is for aggressive trail riding? When I first read about the Stealth line I thought that was what I would be getting, but of the limited reviews, it seems that it is pretty drafty and really designed for hardcore mountain riding. I ride trial 90% of the time in temps that range from -20F to +40F. I am not interested in Motor Fist just because I do not like their design style, so please keep your suggestions limited to KLIM. Thanks in advance!
The Klim Keweenaw model is their warmest. It has many vents as you would expect from a company that got their start in the mountains. Today was 45 degrees F and I did not sweat much with this jacket. The most effective vents cannot be accessed while wearing the jacket. Most people find it warm enough for cold conditions. I do not find it warm enough for cold conditions but I get cold easy. I have two jackets that are warmer but not all around better. The Keweenaw model is a great all around jacket with many qualities. It is my ‘go to’ jacket for most conditions.

I have Klimate Jacket and Keweenau bibs. Jacket is OK so long as I have a good fleece layer underneath. I can feel the cool but not too bad. For really cold I'd suggest the Keweenau jacket.

Keweenaw hands down. Way warmer then my klimate.
If I'm not mistaking, the kewenaw actually has less insulation in some places. I haven't worn a klimate, but the kewenaw is very warm, minimal layering needed. Love it. Hopefully not too warm for mountain riding!

The Klim Keweenaw model is their warmest. It has many vents as you would expect from a company that got their start in the mountains. Today was 45 degrees F and I did not sweat much with this jacket. The most effective vents cannot be accessed while wearing the jacket. Most people find it warm enough for cold conditions. I do not find it warm enough for cold conditions but I get cold easy. I have two jackets that are warmer but not all around better. The Keweenaw model is a great all around jacket with many qualities. It is my ‘go to’ jacket for most conditions.
Klim has a jacket warmer than the kewenaw... the Rohn.... but it is for extreme cold. Very thick! My hands would freeze and break off before needing the Rohn!

I went through the same dilemma this year - insulated vs non-insulated. I like the idea of adding / removing layers during the day, as conditions change where I ride. I went with the Valdez jacket over the stealth - after trying both side by side, I liked the Valdez much better. Heavy duty, lots of vents, and perfect cut for me. I went with the Stealth bibs as I liked their fit and flexibility. A tek vest, moisture wicking base layer and I'm good most of the time. I carry an insulating layer in my pack when needed. My previous jacket had poor ventilation; I cannot believe the difference when the moisture wicking fabrics. Yes, Klim is pricey - but I figure I got 10 years out of my previous gear...

I wear Klimate bibs and parka for colder days and I will switch over to the Tomahawk parka when it is above zero. I have a fleece pull over mid layer layer that I picked up at Cabela’s for $15 that stays in my handlebar pack. I can use that to fine-tune my body temperature during the day. It is usually more dependent on the group of friends that I am riding with than the actual outside temperature. The faster that I’m riding the less need there is for heavy insulation. If my wife comes along I’m probably going to be cold. LOL. I also wear Leatt body armor that is lighter and more breathable than the Tekvest. I love this set up.

I wear Keweenaw jacket and bibs. The jacket is great for all sorts of riding with the vents that it has. The bibs are ok comfort wise

Back