• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best modular helmet

IMO open face are comfortable on warmer days and tighter trail running, I found on real cold days it was a little breezy but worst of all the sun visor (that overhang thing on the top) would catch wind at high speeds and I hated tucking my head down looking through the top of the goggles most of all, that would give me head ache on its own. Plus the added beauty with most closed face or modular helmets they have a built in sun shade, comes real handy for me. Plus there quitter.

After reading pages and pages on the ckx titan it's a typical consensus half love it half hate it and have to try different configurations with it to get it to work back to the drawing board on a light functional helmet

With the bv2s ,take the front diaphram out ,this will help alot .

FXR Modular.

I like my HJC IS Max II

I bought the CKX Titan helmet last year. The helmet it self is great. Feels light, really enjoy the opening mouthpiece its a bit airy but I get hot when I ride even when it's -30c. I really like the helmet.

But..

The googles are a foggy disaster. The way they clip and fit the helmet is great but no matter what different configurations I tried they would fog up. I ended up using my old 509 goggles with the titan clip system and that worked good.

I called CKX and complained about the fogging issue. They told me they know about it and are sending out new goggle frames to titan helmet owners. I asked for a new frame and it was backordered so they sent me a new cheap set of goggles to get by with.

This summer they sent me a new titan frame. Time will tell if they work.

I have a HJC BT-MAX but on cold days its drafty. I bought the Castle X lid last winter and I like that much better. It is still modular and is better for the cold days. Only issue I have with the Castle X is the condensation from my breath ends up down where the chin bar release is and will tend to freeze the latch on those really cold days. Putting your fingers on the ice for a minute and all is good but it can still be an issue. Other then that I'm very happy with the CastleX lid.

When I got my Viper in 2015, I could not resist the matching FXR modular helmet, and it was a huge improvement over my previous HJC modular. It is not perfect, and I have to use the electric shield most of the time to keep it from fogging, but I am generally satisfied with it.

I haven't had the best luck I bought a used bv2s a few years back and it fogged all the time every ride. I sold it and a few years later tried the one I currently have with the heated shield it does not fit with the heated shield or but still fogs when it is off. My main complaint of the helmet is it is too heavy for me on long rides
If it was fogging up you had a bad seal somewhere or had the mask valve screwed up,theres just no way it would fog up all the time

If it was fogging up you had a bad seal somewhere or had the mask valve screwed up,theres just no way it would fog up all the time
I agree you are doing something wrong or you have something together wrong or are missing parts. the only thing you have to do is be sure to open the shield when you stop the rest takes care of itself have been running this lid for 25,000 miles and love it.

I have a solution to the bvs2 issue of mouth piece in the way. Sasquatch taught me to remove the mouth piece -rather than just let it fall forward turns out it is just press fit, simple and works, just pull it forward and off.

I suspect it fogs due to a Leaking lens or the seal does not make tight contact sealing the moisture of breath to the outside air only. I have fixed both and now never fog.
Not sure on weight issue.

Last edited:
I bought the CKX Titan helmet last year. The helmet it self is great. Feels light, really enjoy the opening mouthpiece its a bit airy but I get hot when I ride even when it's -30c. I really like the helmet.

But..

The googles are a foggy disaster. The way they clip and fit the helmet is great but no matter what different configurations I tried they would fog up. I ended up using my old 509 goggles with the titan clip system and that worked good.

I called CKX and complained about the fogging issue. They told me they know about it and are sending out new goggle frames to titan helmet owners. I asked for a new frame and it was backordered so they sent me a new cheap set of goggles to get by with.

This summer they sent me a new titan frame. Time will tell if they work.
Was it a yellow lens you were using seen a like eveyone on the doo forum had problems with yellow lens but the mirrored lens was fine?

My original bv2s was a fogging issue but my new one Even with the electric shield is a condensation issue it gets condensation built up inside and makes it very hard to see clearly. That is one complaint but my main complaint is the weight of this helmet for long rides at the end of the day I can't even turn my head around to see the group behind me

Back