• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best way to cut track ?

width or lugs?

i had to cut down a 15" wide track to 14" for my phazer.
made a jig on a circle saw & cut it myself.

otherwise you can get a few guys to help you on a table saw.
there is posts floating around on here with peoples different ideas.

Let the A -#*ole i usually end up following borrow it! You know? The guy that blows the snow off the trail and spins for 200 yards out of every corner. I'm guessing a guy with an XLT (broke windshield)and Carharts with a Packer jacket and a $15.00 Grant helmet from Fleet Farm!

Deep breath spike. MJ poleclimber (John) cut his down from 2" to 1.75" I believe. Shoot him a pm and ask him if he doesnt chime in.

cut track

What I do is cut a stiff piece of cardboard about 4 inches long. The width of the cardboard cut it the lug height you desire. (Which in your case would be 1.5 inches) I put this cardboard against each lug and trace it with a Sharpie marker. Next, put a new wood blade on a sawzall and cut them to size. It takes me about an hour to trim a 162 x 2.25 to 1.25. Hope this helps.

I cut a piece of wall trim and used it as a template. Then I used a utillity knife. Took about 1 & 1/2 hours. Cut my 2.5" track down to 1 3/4" I wish I would have done that 3 years ago. I am very happy with the way it turned out.

Another good method is to sharpen the backside of a sawzall blade and run it across whatever you use for a guide backwards (I used strip of UHMW). Cuts like butter... I actually used a hackzall, same result though.

The best way to do this is mark the lug at what height you want and use an old sharp knife, heat it up with a propane torch and it will be like a hot knife through butter leaving a perfectly cut surface that is clean and resealed from the heat of the knife.You might need a couple of knifes to do this but works flawlessly,take your time.Saws leave a ruff edge and does not seal the rubber again leaving the track flawed.

rightarm said:
The best way to do this is mark the lug at what height you want and use an old sharp knife, heat it up with a propane torch and it will be like a hot knife through butter leaving a perfectly cut surface that is clean and resealed from the heat of the knife.You might need a couple of knifes to do this but works flawlessly,take your time.Saws leave a ruff edge and does not seal the rubber again leaving the track flawed.

That does sound like it would work well, similar to a tire treader.

I'm still debating notching my Backcountry track so I don't have to remove the tunnel protectors, and was thinking of making a metal temp-plate that I could put over the lug, so as to not risk cutting too deep or too wide.

If the track actually shows up today (was supposed to be here on friday) I'll decide what's best to do, and post some pics.

I used an inexpensive (relatively) tire groover. They cost about $60 for a 250 watt pistol grip type, + heating head and blades. The depth of cutting blades is adjustable, and it forms a square under the heating head.... so each cut is the same, quick and easy.

Just got finished notching my backcountry to fit with tunnel protectors in place. Used a plywood temp-plate and an exacto knife. Worked great. Will post some pics tomorrow.

Here's a couple of pics from today, actually. The knife worked really well. Didn't take anymore than an hour to notch the track. Cut it down a half inch above the windows so I could keep my tunnel protectors. I didn't like the idea of never bein gable to put my studded track back in, so I didn;t want to cut the protectors off.

The knife and temp plate worked really well. Very clean and uniform, and easy to do.

Attachments

• P1010112.JPG
    P1010112.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 775
  • P1010111.JPG
    P1010111.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 473

Back