• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Big job to change the gears??

happy1426

Expert
Have a 03 rx1 with reverse and got new top and bottom gears, what kind of a job is it to do?? And is there a good write up on how to change them?? Thanks alot!! Done them lots in arctic cat 2 strokes non reverse was easy but they never had the brake rotor on the side of the chain case..

Go to the technical pages, there are many write ups including pics on how to do it. hardest part is getting the forks back in for the reverse. Job isn't that bad if you take your time and keep track of all the parts.

Top gear requires a 36mm deep socket to remove and retorque properly.A standard deep socket wasn't deep enough so I had to make one using a deep and shallow.Makes the job alot easier if you have the right socket.

I remember checking all the local auto stores and finding they all had the same depth which wasn't quite enough.I want to say they were all 3"and I needed 3 1/2 or something like that.Mountain performance has the correct tool for $50 also includes jackshaft tool.Might be worth it if you're gonna be in there from time to time.I was in a hurry to install a track so it was quicker for me to make one.

Even though I have insatalled dozens of reverse kits. When I take one apart I lay out a 4' x 4' piece of plywood and lay the parts in sequence as I take them off. Then when you go to put them back on it is easy to remember, becasue you do not have to remember.

Watch out for the spacer (item # 51 on the linked figure). A lot of folks loose that spacer, sometimes inside the gear case.

There are two Item # 51s. I am talking about the one between the cover and gear set. (i.e. left most one on the linked pciture.)

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/partviewer/ ... SNOWMOBILE)/TRACK_DRIVE_2_(RX10RJ_-_2004)

Back